The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Amazing 1500 bf per blade on Goodwill trip  (Read 1942 times)

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Amazing 1500 bf per blade on Goodwill trip
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »
I have completed 12 years of sawing and I am on my second drive belt and second brake pad.  I am sure that WM lets it run during shootouts, etc. but their operator's manual says to disengage and that is the way I learned to saw.

I also might contact the cant/log end or a high knot when returning.  If the blade was running, that would be a blade.

Our individual sawing routine is what each of us is comfortable with.  That is good enough for me.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »

Our individual sawing routine is what each of us is comfortable with.  That is good enough for me.   :)

Well said Magic.does this mean I can continue doing it MY WAY?  Its always a SHOOT OUT around my mill. :D :D :D
Where's the Spoon?

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »
I'm not sure on others practices, but, I have never had an issue with stopping and starting. the brake is still good, and the drive belt as well.  As we know the saw bands, belts and brakes are parts designed for wear, and should be expected.  I will say, I have ran the .042 blades longer than the .045's per change.  This is on my mill and the way I run it.  There are so many factors that come into play that one can only experiment with different blades to find the one that fits the need.  All said, the job done in Texas by MM was a good example of perfect rhythm, clean logs, and timing of all the above which includes good alignment.  More could be said, but I'll leave it at this.   I always hear a lil squeal when engaging,    david

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline SawyerBrown

• Senior Member x2
  • If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough!
    • Share Post
    • Saw It There
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 05:45:25 PM »
I have completed 12 years of sawing and I am on my second drive belt and second brake pad. 

MM, I'm still trying to learn (and not yet set in my ways   ;D)), and your data is pretty compelling.  I think I'll give it a shot and see if it doesn't slow me down too much. 

But I won't hold it against you other fellers to keep doing it like you are!!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Offline Holmes

• Senior Member x2
  • 1840 house
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 06:16:30 PM »
  Aren't you allowed one brain fart in 4 long days of sawing? 
Hopefully yes, because they were long days.  We were sawing at 7:30, a half hour for lunch, and quitting time at 5:30.  That makes it very easy to make a mistake.

That is a very long day of working.   My preference would be to start late and quit early. 8)
Think like a farmer.

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »

My preference would be to start late and quit early. 8)

You need an Off Bearer Holmes?  :)
Where's the Spoon?

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »
Even with mostly milling 2x material, 1,500 bf/blade is pretty impressive.

I'm thinking there was a little Divine Intervention going on there.  smiley_angel02_wings

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »
As another data point as to whether to disengage the saw after each cut, I went back and looked at WM's sales / demo videos (and even the Shootout video).  Very hard to tell on the LT40 video, but on the LT35 video I'm sure I see sawdust flying on the return pass at one point (saw is barely above the cant).

My biggest concern is wear and tear on drive belt and/or brake.  For those that do disengage, has that been a problem?  For those that don't, are you breaking blades due to fatigue?  Might be an argument either way as far as fuel savings, first impression is to idle her down, but re-accelerating those two pulleys burns some fuel too.

I thought it said in my owner/operator manual to disengage upon exiting the far end of the cant or log! 
I looked through the setup and operation section and step 4 says to disengage the blade when you exit the log.
Step 5 says "Always disengage the blade before returning the carriage for the next cut"!

I haven't noticed any ill effects by continually starting and stopping through the course of sawing for the day!

Since I've had my mill, I've only replaced the drive belt twice and I've sawn over 350,000 board feet.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 07:31:26 PM »
I think a drive band that is slipping under load will wear out much faster than it will from engaging-disengaging the clutch.

David, not sure about that "squeal" thing. I think that's telling you that the belt is about worn out.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »
On my LT30, I disengage only when I have to, as on that older mill, it'll flat wear a guy out tipping that motor back and forth.

My mill has always squealed on engagement. Mr. Tom told me it was normal.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »

David, not sure about that "squeal" thing. I think that's telling you that the belt is about worn out.

Nah..a little sqauk is just right. If you get the belt to tightthat sucker will squeal like a stuck hog and not long after that you will lose a shaft.  smiley_crying
Where's the Spoon?

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »

Nah..a little sqauk is just right. If you get the belt to tightthat sucker will squeal like a stuck hog and not long after that you will lose a shaft.  smiley_crying

The belts on the mills have specific belt tensions that they are to be adjusted to, and if the drive belt/s adjusted properly you should get a definate chirp when engaging the blade!

On my LT30, I disengage only when I have to, as on that older mill, it'll flat wear a guy out tipping that motor back and forth.

My mill has always squealed on engagement. Mr. Tom told me it was normal.

Engaging and disengaging the blade all day will definately take it's toll on ones shoulder.

I've found that when I engage the blade on my mill, that I will straighten my arm, then just lean back a little, it's easier on the shoulder!

This is exactly why the autoclutch was invented.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
In the beginning, I was told that starting and stopping the band caused a lot of stress to the whole works, including the band, so I would keep it running for multiple cuts. Then I was told to stop the band as soon as I exited the cut to save on flex life. This was all from WM. Now, if I can make a few cuts in thinner boards, I leave it running. I have AutoClutch, so it's not a shoulder issue, although I can certainly see where that would really be a concern without AutoClutch.

Yup, a chirp is correct. I was told, again by WM, that it was better to chirp the belt than to slip it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 09:13:22 PM »
I have a centrifugal clutch on my mill. My shoulder could not take the off and on part. That is my big issue.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 09:17:46 PM »
I have a centrifugal clutch on my mill. My shoulder could not take the off and on part. That is my big issue.

This is my point y'all..if a shoulder can't take it.it's just a matter of time before machine parts start breaking down. This is why I keep mine running.
Where's the Spoon?

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 05:49:26 AM »

Mine runs a lot also but I idle the engine down when needed. I'm with Poston with this one, I think it's hard on everything clutching it in and out.  Even just speeding up the 27hp Kohler sounded tough on it , a little faster idle helps.  My little diesel doesn't mind speedind up-down.   Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline stavebuyer

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 06:14:27 AM »
The WM manual for the LT70 section 4.11 "Optimal Cutting Procedure" states "In order to achieve maximum production rates, it may be desirable to leave the blade engaged when returning the carriage"

We gained at least 10% in production when we started leaving the blade engaged. We are getting more bd/ft sawn per blade than we were when stopping the blade exiting the cut. The only negative change we have noticed is that we burn an additional gallon or more in diesel than we did before but with the added production our fuel per bd/ft sawn has remained about the same.

We do have the out-feed conveyor and DCS operator controls in a saw cab so nobody is ever close to the running blade. Occasionally we ruin a blade knocking it off with a splinter or something on the drag-back that wouldn't have been damaged if the blade were stopped.

I made the change after watching a video of the mill running. If you haven't seen a video of yourself sawing its a real eye-opener. Take one and put a stopwatch on the time your loosing engaging and disengaging the blade, positioning the head or punching buttons on the set-works. We gained quite a bit of production by doing whatever we could to prepare for the next cut while the saw-head is moving. This included advancing the next log on the deck, changing modes or sets on the set-works, and leaving the blade running. We try to keep the head in motion as much as we possibly can.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »
 On shorter logs there sure isn't time to disengage the blade or slow down the engine.   Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 06:55:52 AM »
I do the same thing, to keep the blade going on 8' 10' logs . I call it the Wood Mizer rock. Back and forth never stopping . When I come out of the log I'm going up till I think I'll miss the cant then back I go hit the down lever before I clear the cant, go forward and hit the cant with the blade just in the nick of time to when the blade is set, sometimes I go in the cant and the blade has to go down an 1/8 to set. :D :D :D but I don't do that too much ;D

And that is a lot of BF for a blade. Good job in prepping the logs
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 10:49:46 PM »
MM can call that the "Loaves and fishes blade" ;) The manual for my LT40 super says to leave the blade engaged if so desired. I often do, especially once I get to a cant and start slinging boards. I have also ruined more than a few blades when my dragback misses a slab and I hit it with the blade- ka-pow!
Too many irons in the fire

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Finishing latest project before Goodwill trip

Started by Andy White on General Woodworking

7 Replies
Last post December 20, 2013, 08:26:15 AM
by justallan1
xx
05 ram 1500

Started by coxy on General Board

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2015, 08:11:54 PM
by coxy