iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1990 deere 648 grapple skidder looking for info on them

Started by logman81, December 17, 2013, 06:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

As some of you know I'm looking to up grade to a grapple skidder, I finally ended the mystery on the timberjack he's not into selling it. So I found a deere 648 dual arch skidder and wanted to get your thoughts on them what ever you can tell me about them.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Maine logger88

In 1990 were they still a D series or were They  an E by then
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

logman81

Maine logger88

I don't know much about them I only ran a 648d one day the motor seemed to have good power it was a 6068t  about 150 hp' if I remember right the one I ran had 28l tires most had 24.5 32s as with any Deere with a power shift look it over carefully and pull some heavy twitches to make sure it doesn't slip they can cost upwards of 10 grand to rebuild I'm assuming it has a winch and they have a jd4000 winch which is the best winch you can get IMO.

logman81

It is missing the winch, but probably could fined one if needed.

logman81

Also says it has a auto close on the grapple not sure what that is?

Firewoodjoe

I would assume it's the detent deal for constant pressure on your wood.  Nice feature.

Maine logger88

Harolds Logging in Hampden Maine had a 4000 winch last I knew if you needed one. The one I ran didn't have the detent or it was broken I'm not sure either way it was a pain always having to squeeze the grapple so not to loose the twitch

logman81

That's what the auto close is to keep pressure on the grapple. The price for rebuilding the trans scares me if And when it needed it!

Maine logger88

Yup scares me to on my 540b I've had it 5 years with no trouble but I know a guy around here that has one that he has done 3 times in 17 years of course in his case its severely over loading he trays and haul 3 to 3.5 cord a twitch which is to much for a 540 even though they will do it better to stick with 2 cord

logman81

Maine logger88

logman81

barbender

I had to jump in a 648 a few weeks ago to move some mats, the only other skidders I've ran are old cable machines like my Pettibone 501, which is a bit bigger than a C4 Treefarmer. My first thought was "This thing is BIG". Nothing I'd want to use in hardwood hand thinning, that's for sure. A smaller skidder with a grapple would be nice, I have no love for dragging chokers and mainline, but a 648 is a bit too big IMO.
Too many irons in the fire

Maine logger88

O really I believe I found the skidder it looks like it has decent rubber which is a plus what town is it in I may know the guy

logman81

Guy called me that's has it all it needs from what he told me is a rear wheel seal. Are those a big deal to replace?

Autocar

Barbender is right on, there big if you move it on a truck your probably need a permit at least here in Ohio. I need one to move my Treefarmer its nine foot six inch.
Bill

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine has a GII. It is a beast. I helped him pull out his Morbark shear that had gotten mired in the mud. I pulled on the winch lever and it popped it out of the hole like pulling a carrot in the garden. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logman81

Yeah I think it might be to much machine for me , cheap $ though !

Maine logger88

To do a rear wheel seal on a JD you have to take the rear end out of the machine take the axle housing off take the planatarys off the axle then pull the axle out and replace the inner and outer seal usually on the deeres when the seal starts leaking its a good sign it needs bearings none of this is extremely expensive unless you buy genuine Deere parts and the most difficult part is taking the rear out

BargeMonkey

I dont know what this 648 is going for but ive seen quite a few decent E's and G's in the 15k-25k region, you would be alot further ahead. Ive still got a 440D, they where a great machine in the day but now you can even compare. And you need the experience of dropping an axle out and putting it back in way out in the woodlot, in january. Lol.

logman81

ya im going to pass on it, Not going to get into that kind of repair right off the bat! :o I have thought about my situation and the type of timber and jobs I do and I am going to stay with a cable skidder. I know a 180 but it seems the best way to go for a one or two man crew. Im going to look at a TJ 225 that is suppose to be in real good shape this Friday. I realy don't care to climb a mountain to get into my skidder it's a pain, seems the older jack are much easier to get into.

BargeMonkey

There is a sharp 405 franklin for sale in PA with 23.1 and chained up. That skidder will eat an older jack alive. He wanted 23k but very negotiable, I wouldnt be afraid of it at all.

logman81

way out of my price range! :D im going to go look at the jack it's been all redone for the most part and is priced fair.

Maine logger88

You will like the 225 its a lot easier on your knees

logman81

That one of the reasons for the change. I think they are a little smaller then the c5d but pulling capacity is probably close to the same. Plus this particular skidder is in better shape then mine from the sound of it.

logman81

Any one know what a 225 can pull compared to my c5d?

Maine logger88

I bet it wouldn't be far off I have never ran a c5d but my cousin has one and he pulls similar sized twitches as I pull with my 225 his may pull slightly more but I average about 7 to 8 twitches to the tractor trailer load between 14 and 16 cord

Mark K

I had a 225 for many years. Good little machine. Would outpull a 440a but my nieghbor runs a c5d that would outpull my 225. Mine had smaller rubber, both had bear paws on the front. They are a real stable machine, like to find another for small jobs.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

logman81

Ok thanks mark k, I think this is a early 225 because badge is on the engine side cover ?

Mark K

Ya. Mine was too. Had the hydraulic levers to the right of the seat. Mine was old but easy to work on and tough as nails.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

logman81

I think the controls on this one are in front? I've heard that they are a good machine when setup with a full set of chains.

Mark K

I ran paws on the front all the time and picks on the back during the winter. Got around well.Did not like the deep snow as well as my C7D. But there two different worlds. Im running thru close to three feet of snow now with not much trouble. If I still had my TJ, I'd be shut down. It was to light and would chatter terrible. Blew a no spin and two ring and pinions in deep snow. But that little jack would walk up the side of a mountain were a goat wouldn't climb!
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mark K

Cutting in northern NY up near the Tug Hill Plateau. This is nothing.  We went snowmobiling about 20 miles above my job, stopped at a bar in Turin that had a measuring pole out in there field. Lacked about 4" from being 7ft deep! I'll say one thing, do NOT get off the trail!
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

logman81

Wow that is a lot of snow ! We don't get that much around here most we've had from one storm was about. 26".

Thank You Sponsors!