The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Your firewood business  (Read 9908 times)

Offline jcl

• Share Post
Re: Your firewood business
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »
9 years sell 100 cords last 4 years.    Block buster processor  45 hp new holland tractor. One ton Gmc dump truck   It's been a great side work for me but this year it's been impossible to buy any grapple loads   I normally have 6-7 loads already.
New Holland Tc45d
jonsered cs 2159
CB. Maxim
block buster   processor

Offline snuffbandit

• land o 10,000 lake! (its accually like 15-16,000)
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »
2nd year and i run mcculloch 10-10's and a old craftsman my grandfather ran the buisness before me and i used to have a cone splitter my great grandfather bought new but some (Inappropriate language edited by Admins) stole it but none the less i still get it split and sell 10-20 cord a year not to bad id say for working a second part time job.
this is my last saw... no this ones my last saw... nope this is my last saw i promise... it never ends haha

Offline barniescamp

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 10:24:36 PM »
Ive been at it for the past 5 years with the biggest year being 1,100 face cord.
my equipment list
95 John deere 648e grapple skidder
2006 GMC 2500hd pick up truck
2010 7x14' dump trailer
2011 wheeler jr log trailer (with cherie picker)
Ford 550 loader
16" firewood processor
timber devil double splitter (30'conveyor)
three husqvarna 376 xp saws
one husqvarna 357 xp saw (used mostly for felling and limbing)
and a bunch of other junk that comes in handy once and a while.

I deliver cut n split or logs if they want or I bring logs out to the landing for the buyer to process himself with his own splitter or they rent mine, Usually get a local forestry operation with their feller to fell the logs for me.

Offline CRThomas

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 01:27:11 AM »
Those who own firewood businesses, i wanted to get and idea of what equiptment everyone is running and how long they have been in the business? I will start

1 year in business, 30 cords/year
Husky 22 ton splitter
MS 291 & MS 190
12 foot single axel trailer
And of course my 1998 chevy 2500 long bed
well its 0100 o'clock no phones no visited I can get to splitting and bundling full blast thank god for early morning hours

Offline Nate379

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 12:43:08 AM »
Hi guys.

New to the board.  I run a firewood/logging company in Palmer Alaska.

I've got a Blockbuster 15-20, bobcat S250 with grapple, couple dumping flatbed trucks, saws, etc.
Also my business partner has a Case Tr270, Blockbuster 18-20, small fleet of trucks.
2 log trucks, 2 skidders, feller buncher, delimber, 2 dozers, excavator, etc.

We do around 1200 cords a year of split firewood and about double that in logs.

Also have a Woodmizer LT40, edger, planer, kiln, etc.  used to be the Woodmizer dealer for AK.

I started in 2012.  Shop has been around for 25 years or so.

Offline glassman_48

• 1-231-258-4246-work/ed/231-564-2672/cell
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »
I started about 5 years ago when I married into a wood burning in law family :)  I purchased a twister log splitter, then a twister firewood bundler and finally a twister firewood processor.  For just my family alone, we probably process 100 plus cords per year.  Then I process or sell another 100 or so pulp cords for friends and some for the state.  I have a 12' dump trailer and just got a used 3/4 ton gmc diesel pickup.  I use a 45 hp new Holland tractor for loading my log deck and I use the tractor for pallets of eco bricks that we sell on my commercial property.  We specialize in doing mobile firewood processing in our area, we make more money doing that than selling firewood. 

Offline glk34

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 05:49:08 PM »
Been selling firewood for 5 yrs. Had always focused on Spruce and fir sawlogs but price hit the bottom so we switched to firewood. $250-300 per full cord in our area. Up to about 75 cords last year, just a sideline business for now. 15months til retirement which will give me more time for the firewood business

equipment: C4D skidder, C5D forwarder, Splitfire wood splitter, Hakki Pilke easy 37 processor, GMC 2500 and Cam superline dump trailer for deliveries.

I have been 30 yrs gathering up the above equipment, still waiting to get payback from my woodlot. Kids don't try this at home unless you really love the wood game. Which I do.

Offline FayettesFinest

• "Residentual Logger"
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 11:52:52 PM »
Been at it about a month and a half. Probably have sold close to 3 cords so far.

Equipment - 36cc Husqvarna, junk Poulan, Homelite Super2, 2 loaner saws (Poulan, Craftsman), 1996 F250 diesel, 2001 Dodge Dakota, 8lb splitting maul and a whole boat load of bad luck.

A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

Offline Nate379

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 01:11:10 AM »
The guys that do 20-30 cords a year, how do you afford to eat?!  Sounds like a hobby, not a business.

If i don't do at least 10-15 cords a week its a rough week for me.  That's not counting selling lumver, ligging/land clearing and small engine repairs.
We are 4 guys total working.  One runs the stire, Carl's Dad, then me, Carl and a hired hand.

One a good day I have no trouble loading my big truck which holds 5.5 cords (10 wheeler with 18ft bed about 7.75 wide and 6ft tall sides.  Used to be a concrete truck, real heavy duty)

I have to sell about 10 cords a month to cover bills.

As far as logging, I've been doing it 3 years full time, before was part time.

Offline David-L

• Senior Member x2
  • present and accounted for.
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 05:58:52 PM »
Always doing firewood between saw logs. This week its' loads of standing dead ash to those who werent' prepared. Not alot of dry wood in this area at current. Some have it but are holding on to it. I am trying to help help a few people out. Hate those 8" widomakers in the tops of those big ash when you can't get the skidder next to it and have to pound a wedge. Finally getting stiff where I am cutting.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Offline brendonv

• Arborist
    • Share Post
    • www.VorioTree.com
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 06:08:35 PM »
Nice load david. What can you get on that trailer, two cord?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Offline David-L

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 06:33:34 PM »
Brendonv, The trailer will hold between 1.5 and 2 cords of wood depending on the straightness and uniformity. That is with 12' wood. I took home two baskets of straight wood last spring and dead stacked them in cut and split 4' wood and came up at a strong 32'.  So yes with straight wood 2 cords is a good guess.

Offline Holmes

• Senior Member x2
  • 1840 house
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 08:42:24 PM »
 David-L, in Petersham is all that 4' cut and split and stacked wood on Main St.? yours?  If not what is it used for and where does it go do you know? Looks like they have had about a mile of it stacked 8' high around the fields.
Think like a farmer.

Offline David-L

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 09:15:10 PM »
Holmes, If it was mine I would be taking December off completely to deer hunt everyday. It is not mine but yes ,well over 100 cd there. Go's to Natucket I believe. They have two small farmi grapples, All wood is in 46" split to fit side by side on trailer. Wood is bought $ in to yard in 46" rounds. Two way back and forth splitter that use to have a Johnny two popper for the hyd pump. I still plan on getting a fair amount of hunting in.

Offline gaproperty

• Full Member x2
  • Location: Back and forth between Nova Scotia and NewBrunswick Canada
  • From Riches to Rags.
    • Share Post
    • Riches to Rags
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 05:18:04 PM »
Been selling firewood for almost 10 years now. Started off in high school with a home made pulp dray (old truck frame and axel) pulled by a old john deere farm tractor, worked the wood 4ft length and then cut to stove length on a old cord wood saw powered by a 1951 JD model "M" tractor. Split everything with splitting axes. Delivered with flat bed one ton truck...  Lets just say doing 20+ cords this way I was always in shape for football season!

Current operation, John Deere 2355 JD with fransgard v4000, home made wood splitter 13hp honda, 22gpm (same specs as timber-wolf fast cycle splitter), two chainsaws husqvarna 365xt and 562xp saws. Delivery is done with a 91 F-450 dump truck. Current production is between 50-100 cord... Depends on how busy I get with other farm work and graduate school!
man it is good to see young people at it and liking it enough to post about it in these forums.  I live in Nova Scotia now and I am semi retired form the I.T. world at 53 years old but I always did a bit a wood work and will continue to do it until I die. You are on the right track... keep working hard and play safe. Before long you will be producing 500 cords.
Ray
lostcaper.ca
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Offline gaproperty

• Full Member x2
  • Location: Back and forth between Nova Scotia and NewBrunswick Canada
  • From Riches to Rags.
    • Share Post
    • Riches to Rags
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
Been selling firewood for 5 yrs. Had always focused on Spruce and fir sawlogs but price hit the bottom so we switched to firewood. $250-300 per full cord in our area. Up to about 75 cords last year, just a sideline business for now. 15months til retirement which will give me more time for the firewood business

equipment: C4D skidder, C5D forwarder, Splitfire wood splitter, Hakki Pilke easy 37 processor, GMC 2500 and Cam superline dump trailer for deliveries.

I have been 30 yrs gathering up the above equipment, still waiting to get payback from my woodlot. Kids don't try this at home unless you really love the wood game. Which I do.
Hi.  I lived in Moncton for 30 years.  Just semi retired and now spend most of my time in Nova Scotia but always played in the woods. Never made anything but always enjoyed it.  Glad to see you are doing well. I got a line on some firewood. Not sure what stumpage to pay. I think it will be about $35 a cord.  That is what everybody seems to want to get. Is that kinda high?

Ray
lostcaper.ca
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 11:37:43 PM »
$10.00-12.00 per standard cord is going rate for hardwood pulp here. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline TeaW

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 07:43:38 AM »
gaproperty in this area stumpage is $30. + and it has been for years but NS, I don't know.
TeaW

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Firewood business...big enough market to run a business?

Started by burnwood on Forestry and Logging

60 Replies
Last post August 15, 2014, 07:04:27 AM
by timberlinetree
xx
firewood business

Started by aksawyer on Forestry and Logging

17 Replies
Last post December 24, 2010, 08:24:36 PM
by H60 Hawk Pilot
xx
Firewood Business