iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blower motor for sawdust/chips

Started by Mike_M, May 30, 2004, 12:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_M

I will give this forum a try, since I have not gotten any replies on the sawmilling forum. I received alot of good feedback a while ago, about chip/sawdust bins. Now I'm trying to get some ideas for a blower motor. We are using an old Delta 13" planer right now, but will probably add a planer/moulder in the future. What are people using for sawdust/ chip blower motors? The longest run I will have will probably be about 50' using 6" metal pipe. I would like to try and stay with single phase, since we don't have three phase.

Thanks
                                             Mike M. :)

Larry

Maybe not the answer your looking for but the best one I can give.

I am using a 16" X 5" blower I think came off of old farm equipment.  Belt driven by a 5hp 1725 rpm motor.  I am presently running the blower at 1,380 rpm.  Not even close to full load amps for the 5 hp so I am going with a 3 hp whenever I find one.  The impeller blades are 3/16" and so far  knot hits have not effected them.  Works perfect on a Belsaw 12" planer.  Had it hooked up to an 18" Delta wedge for a while this spring and blew chips 50' through 6" pipe into a stock trailer.  Had to crank up the rpm to 2,156 for the Delta.  Only ran hardwood so don't know if it would pull chips fast enough on softwood to prevent denting or not.

When I built the blower I tried a few different things.  Found out real quick bigger is lots better for both the impeller and the pipe size.  The one thing that kills the performance is the 4" flex pipe so I got rid of that stuff.  

My blower is a lot like this one http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/sawdust_blower_18.asp except for the cost.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jdunmyer

Mike,
 I have a blower that was 7" in/out, but was bushed down to 6" in/out. Dunno the diameter of the impeller, but it's about 16 ->18", I think. There's a 1.5 HP 3-phase motor on it at present, belted so the blower is running a bit faster than motor speed. The AmpProbe says that I'm putting about 2Hp worth of electricity into the motor, so one of these days, I'll change to a 3Hp motor and speed 'er up a bit.

The biggest task for this blower is from a 24" planer that sits right below it, and it does well. Outlet piping is only about 30' and is pretty straight.

Picture is at:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer/woodshop/042924.jpg

Jeff

I was going to post an answer the first time, but after reading your post I figured you were not looking for info like our application. Our blowers would probably suck your planer/molder through its own pipe and throw it to the front of our 48 foot chip vans just like it does chips. Our blowers are not really meant for collection, but for loading a semi.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mike_M

Thanks for the information. Sounds like I should look for something in the 3-5 horsepower range that will do approx. 2000 cfm. From looking at the post about the Logosol planer you would need at least this much to keep up with this type of machine.
                                  Happy wood working  :)
                                   Mike M.

Ga_Boy

Mike,

Sheldon Engineering makes a 14" material movement impeller designed for cyclones, I am using it with a 5 HP Leeson motor.  The longest duct run is 30' using 6" pipe.  Oh yea, its ballanced.

If your interested I'll post the web site link;  I'm kinda in a hurry now, gotta get to the job that pays the bills.

Mark  
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Mike_M

Mark,
           When you get a chance I would like to see that website. Thanks for the information.

Mike

Jason_WI

Mike,

My online photo album has pics and setup of my homebrew sawdust blower. It is made out of an old silo unloader blower and is indestructable.

Here is a link to my album:

http://myweb.core.com/photos/jbirnsch@vbe.com/Sawmill

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Ga_Boy

Mike,

Here is the linkm ffor Shelons.

http://www.sheldonsengineering.com/

This link is for Bill Pentz's web site, which is a gold mine for how to and how not to do dust collection.  

http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

If you call Sheldons ask to speak with Paul Payton, Bill mentions him on his web site. A great guy to deal with.

I bought my cyclone and blower housing from Clarke Echols.  Another great guy to deal with.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Mike_M

Thanks alot guys for sharing the web sites. Great information that should keep me busy looking at for a while.

Mike  :)

Kedwards

my tiny blower is 2300 cfm and runs on a 3hp direct drive motor..dont get a belt driven. my biggest problem is that I am not at my permanent shop yet and the chips fill the bags like every 10 boards  what a pain in the tookus. My temp shop is filling full of chips fast...thank goodness we have lots of woods for me to add "mulch" without the neighbors moaning.. :D
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Jason_WI

Kedwards,

You must be talking about a dust collector like what Delta has. To prevent the bags from filling up so fast I use 2, 30 gallon garbage cans. Cut two holes in the standard lid across from each other the same size at your dust collection hose. Insert each hose into the lid a few inches. When one can gets full swap it out with the other can in less time than it takes to pull off and empty the bag. I can plane 200 BF without having to shut down.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Kedwards

I considered putting in a cyclone and thanks for the suggestion, but what I really need is to put a hose straight up on the two collection drops and funnel the hose about 20 feet outside my shop. Right now I fill up the two 45 gallon  collectors in 5 minutes. I own a logosol that just eats wood like a rabid termite. Planing 4 sides up to a 1/4 depth each side in one pass makes a big shaving pile. :o
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Mike_M

Kedwards,
                What brand is your blower motor? My dad and I at some point would like to purchase a Logosol planer, so I want to make sure I build a collection system that will meet the needs of it. I read alot of good information on Bill Pentz's site. Thanks again Mark for that information it has been very helpful. So my plan is to build or buy a blower motor and have it exhaust outside into a metal chip bin. I hope to be able to build it to hold between 5 and 10 cubic yards and then be able to back under with a truck to empty. I know the draw back to exhausting outside is loss of heat in the winter and cold in the summer, but our shop is not heated and does not have A/C. Here in western Oregon we are pretty fortunate to have pretty mild seasons and when it does get cold we just break out the wool long johns.

Thanks Again for all the replies!
                                   Mike M.

Ga_Boy

Mike,

Get in touch with Clarke Echoles.  He told me about a blower he built for his cyclone.  I want to remember it being in the 16-18" diameter range.

Clarke could probobly give you some idea what is involved in putting a beast like that together, in addition to what the motor requirements will be.  I goes without saying you will need to be handy with a torch and welder.

Another idea is to get you hands on an old grain cyclone blower.  As I understand it they relativetly common and inexpensive for the size blower and motor you will need.

Some how this thread has not mentioned food in any shape, form or fashion.  How did that happen ::)

Mark

Fla._Deadheader

Kedwards, What kind of wood can you plane in ¼" cuts at a time ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kedwards

walnut,cherry, cedar you name it.. when i am make chips like that I generally have it paid for first.

Fla._Deadheader

You don't get much chip-out or tear-out ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kedwards

not at all.. itsall about feedrate.. If i pushed the stuff through at 40 Feet per minute I am sure it would choke down and scream and whine, but if I keep it at 14-18 per minute that keeps me from racing back forth as ell.

Thank You Sponsors!