iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

380TJ

Started by NCLogger, December 26, 2013, 11:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCLogger

Hey anyone around here have or know much about 380 timberjacks? Im lookin at buying one just wondering if there good or bad? Its detroit powered 3 speed power shift and i think it has 23Lx26 tires. Thanks

Firewoodjoe

A guy here had one. Liked it but after many many hours they couldn't keep the fiber gear in the transmission. ( think that's what it was called) but like I said he liked it

clww

No help on your question, but welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

NCLogger,welcome to the forum. What have you got for equipment now?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CX3

I had a 380C for years.  Cummins powered.  Tough as nails.  Just make sure the charge pump holds pressure good.  There should be a guage in the dash.  If theres not a gauge, put one in.  Very important to watch that pressure.  Otherwise I loved mine.  Good Luck
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

ehp

never had a 380 with detroit power , just 6 cylinder cummins but I had a earlier 450 jack with detroit power with 23.1 by 26's on it and that was a very good skidder , made alot of money with it , it should be pretty close to what your 380 is , Mine was a 3 speed and your most likely is a 4 speed but there the same tranny made by Clark just they never put the 4th gear in the older ones but the hole was there for it , rebuild the tranny is costly thou but they work real well

ga jones

I have only had my 380c for a few months however my friends have had them for years. Excellent machines. One of the factors in my choice was price.380s are less money than the 200 series around here. Mines a 1994.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ehp

I would sooner have a 380 any day over my 230 , nothing wrong with my 230 but I just like skidders like the 380 or clark 66 or 67  which is what I planned on buying but I could not find a single machine that was not wore out , my 230 is in pretty good shape and I cannot complain, it has down me very well

gwilson

I'm running a 380B and I like it. Its worn pretty good but will pull good and runs great (Cummins power). Mines a grapple and the winch hasn't worked since i got it but its still a good machine.

ga jones

here's a pic of mine with a twitch of hemlock
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

treeslayer2003

I never had a 380 yet but the clark trans is tough as there is.
on the fiber gear, make sure the bolt holes are clean use brake cleaner and red locktite. they will fail early if the bolts don't stay tight.

treeslayer2003

Jones, that is a nice lookin tractor. I like to have one that size with a grapple.
is it cummins? 4 or 6? axles are eaton?

NCLogger

This is my first piece, I've always worked for others. Me and another guy are teaming up we have a track type skid steer and a second hand strait truck.

NCLogger

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, took a close look and its eaton axles/winch over all it runs out very well.

ga jones

6bt cummins eaton axles clark trans. Gearmatic winch. I would rather the deere winch but the gearmatic is easy to work on.

ga jones

The grapple version of it is long frame and has the deere winch.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on December 28, 2013, 06:38:47 PM
6bt cummins eaton axles clark trans. Gearmatic winch. I would rather the deere winch but the gearmatic is easy to work on.
with the clark trans, why not a clark winch? any have um? I have never in 20 years had to touch a clark winch.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on December 28, 2013, 06:40:58 PM
The grapple version of it is long frame and has the deere winch.
yep, I know a guy has a grapple version with 30.5s, its huge. I guess they don't think a guy doing selections should have a grapple. that's why I got the 540. but man do I ever wish it had a converter.

Firewoodjoe

A converter is a must in my book. I've ran old and new and the torque converter Deere's we're running are sweet. Ran a 748 direct drive and they can keep it!

Thank You Sponsors!