The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: MS 461 "De-Limiting" the Speed Limiter  (Read 16121 times)

Online ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Re: MS 461 "De-Limiting" the Speed Limiter
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »
I know, i asked about the carb limiters because the stihl's have them inside the carbs on the new ones and are harder to remove.  for example on my husky 346 the carb limiters are plastic and on the outside and easy to remove.  the carb limiters on my stihl 362 are inside the carb and from what I've read aren't as simple to take out, but I've never tried either.  I haven't taken a look at how the ones in the 461 are in there, but I would think they're built into the carb.  I modded the muffler on the 461 and want to fatten up the mixture a hair more, but the limiters dont allow it.  The spark plug color indicates that it's fine, but when it comes summer time who knows what that will do to it.

Warmer weather will make it run richer so you should be good.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2018, 09:11:19 PM »
Lot's of good info in this 4 year old thread. Only thing I can add is buy a good used Stihl 046 Magnum....Great old reliable power houses.

I got a project saw on my work bench at the moment. I took my old 1986 Stihl 064AV race saw out of retirement.  I'm going to swap out it's raced ported cylinder with 084 carb for a 1995 066 P/C with the first year decomp valve.
I'll then have a real lightweight 90cc powerhouse for my tree service.
This first year 85cc 064AV at 14.1 lbs is lighter then the much newer 77cc  MS460.

I'll have my 1992 066 Mag Arctic for backup.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline joe_indi

• Senior Member x2
  • The older I get the more I learn
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 09:06:57 PM »
I know this thread is quite old, but i followed the steps outlined here in order to "de-limit" the MS461 coil and have not been successful.  First i tried making the gap from the 3rd pole larger, next I removed the 3rd pole altogether by cutting it away.  The way I know these modifications didn't work is that I tested it with a tach.  When it bounced off the limiter the tach started jump all over the place until it returned back to normal RPM levels.  Without another coil and spending significant $$ to get a replacement one from the MS460, are there any other tips on how to successfully remove rev the limiter?

If the tach reading is jumping at 13500+ rpm that third pole is still picking up magnetic impulses enough to limit the engine speed. That is strange. If that 3rd pole is trimmed off to leave a 3 -5mm gap it should not pick up impulses. Most of them stop getting impulses when the air gap at the 3rd pole is widened. In that case the only other option is to use a two pole coil. The ones from the 290/390/360/460/660...they are all suitable, with alteration of the length of the ignition lead. Or just swap the lead from your 461 coil.

Offline gowanus2015

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 11:59:11 AM »
I know this thread is quite old, but i followed the steps outlined here in order to "de-limit" the MS461 coil and have not been successful.  First i tried making the gap from the 3rd pole larger, next I removed the 3rd pole altogether by cutting it away.  The way I know these modifications didn't work is that I tested it with a tach.  When it bounced off the limiter the tach started jump all over the place until it returned back to normal RPM levels.  Without another coil and spending significant $$ to get a replacement one from the MS460, are there any other tips on how to successfully remove rev the limiter?

If the tach reading is jumping at 13500+ rpm that third pole is still picking up magnetic impulses enough to limit the engine speed. That is strange. If that 3rd pole is trimmed off to leave a 3 -5mm gap it should not pick up impulses. Most of them stop getting impulses when the air gap at the 3rd pole is widened. In that case the only other option is to use a two pole coil. The ones from the 290/390/360/460/660...they are all suitable, with alteration of the length of the ignition lead. Or just swap the lead from your 461 coil.

I guess 2 pole is the only way to go then.  Thanks!

Offline gowanus2015

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »
UPDATE:

As Joe_Indi suggested I ended up getting a cheap used OEM STIHL (p/n#0000 400 1300) universal unlimited coil with 2 poles and it works.  I then advanced the timing via the flywheel key by removing ~.020" and now the tach doesn't go haywire, since there is no limiter to bounce off of and she's tuned much better.  

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
Good choice. I got a OEM 0000 400 1300 module on my '92 066 Mag and still going strong after 26 years.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »
UPDATE:

As Joe_Indi suggested I ended up getting a cheap used OEM STIHL (p/n#0000 400 1300) coil with 2 poles and it works.  I then advanced the timing via the flywheel key by removing ~.020" and now the tach doesn't go haywire, since there is no limiter to bounce off of and she's tuned much better.  
Is that coil plug/play?
Boy, back in my day..

Offline gowanus2015

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2018, 07:44:19 AM »
yes, plug and play if it comes with the plug wire.  if not you can always transfer your current plug wire.  FYI: it only has 2 poles and 2 screw the original 461 limited coil had 3 poles and 3 screws.  it holds fine with only 2 screws, you just have one open hole.  no big deal.  make sure to gap the coil according to the manual.  revvvvvvvvv and go!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter