iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swinging a back leaner

Started by CCC4, January 01, 2014, 07:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

I have been using this cut for a bit, there was so much timber on this tract that was swept or leaning and I have been going through my grab bag of cuts getting one that would do what I wanted when I wanted. This cut is pretty tricky, I explain what I did at the end of the video. If administration feels that this video and my explanation is dangerous please feel free to delete my post...I totally understand and no hard feelings will come of it. Thank you as always for viewing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJyNAF2w7B8&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

JakeG

Howdy Clint  :new_year:

I don't think that's unsafe for experienced members... They know how to read a stick. I wouldn't tell a new guy to try it, and I personally wouldn't delete this thread :)

That 372 is runnin good for being stock! I can't wait to use mine
$5.00 fine for whinin'

treeslayer2003

pretty much standard for us southern boys so no I don't see any thing wrong with the post.
there are other ways and I have takin to wedging lately, but I did that very thing for many years.

CCC4

Quote from: JakeG on January 01, 2014, 08:35:50 PM
Howdy Clint  :new_year:

I don't think that's unsafe for experienced members... They know how to read a stick. I wouldn't tell a new guy to try it, and I personally wouldn't delete this thread :)

That 372 is runnin good for being stock! I can't wait to use mine

Hey there Jake!  :new_year: back at ya! Yeh, I was just a little concerned about explaining what I did there. Yes that saw runs good...I have a forming problem with the bar oil though...I'm afraid it blew  a seal maybe.

Glad to see ya over here Jakers!  8)

CCC4

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on January 01, 2014, 08:46:41 PM
pretty much standard for us southern boys so no I don't see any thing wrong with the post.
there are other ways and I have takin to wedging lately, but I did that very thing for many years.

Well, I'm sure you know what my concerns were. I was pretty pleased with the cut...man I have thrown everything I have at this tract of timber..it's not a "bomb proof" cut but it has a higher % of success for me. Thanks man!

treeslayer2003

Clint, you mean oil leaks out of that 372 all the time? yea, they just do that.

CCC4

It comes up out of the cover and is running down all over the outside of the cover. IDK...how does the oil come up? I am not running out of bar oil early or nothing...I really don't know why either...that much oil and all.

treeslayer2003

they seem to be nasty oilers for some reason. I see ya using an Oregon bar, sometimes the oil hole in the bar don't line up perfect, could drill it out just slight to line it up better.

JakeG

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on January 01, 2014, 09:13:29 PM
they seem to be nasty oilers for some reason. I see ya using an Oregon bar, sometimes the oil hole in the bar don't line up perfect, could drill it out just slight to line it up better.

Good point TS.. Make sure the hole is properly sized/aligned. And I'm glad they're nasty oilers. My baby saw barely oils enough for a 24".
$5.00 fine for whinin'

shortlogger

Always enjoy seeing how far I can pull a tree away from where it wants to go . Especially if someone says it won't go that way .  Good video
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

treeslayer2003

Quote from: JakeG on January 01, 2014, 09:17:04 PM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on January 01, 2014, 09:13:29 PM

Good point TS.. Make sure the hole is properly sized/aligned. And I'm glad they're nasty oilers. My baby saw barely oils enough for a 24".
lol, just have to put a diaper under um in the shop....they not potty trained lol.

1270d

Good video.   Hardly ever see one where you can see the swing.

CX3

Ive never cut pine but I would be more likely to leave a small trigger on the heavy side then back cut to the good side leaving a larger trigger.  As it started to tip the larger trigger on the good side should hold it til it snaps on the fall???  It may take a wedge to get started too.  I understand not wanting to wedge a little but man I hate for the top to be moving around while Im cutting. 

Would a hinge not work or are the leaning too much?
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

CCC4

Quote from: CX3 on January 02, 2014, 12:54:54 PM
Ive never cut pine but I would be more likely to leave a small trigger on the heavy side then back cut to the good side leaving a larger trigger.  As it started to tip the larger trigger on the good side should hold it til it snaps on the fall???  It may take a wedge to get started too.  I understand not wanting to wedge a little but man I hate for the top to be moving around while Im cutting. 

Would a hinge not work or are the leaning too much?

I left a teeny tiny hinge! LOL! Your theory is logical while my cut was illogical...it took 4 days of trying that cut for me to start nailing it with authority. The heavy side was uphill, and 1/4 back the other direction opposite of where I wanted it to go. Sometimes you just have to "fail" in order to succeed (dang that sounds good huh?). I learned that cut from my boss...if there isn't any wind, he can spin one 180* anywhere he wants it...however he smashed his 460 the other day  :o.

Sometimes I don't cut the dominate side and put a sizwheel in there and let it rip to the roots as the swing load...but I have not used any sizwheels this week. I need to get a video of me pulling one of those off, I don't use them very often on slopes, I have had most of my luck with them on flatter ground.

Most of the time I just put a Humbolt where I want it to fall, overkerf the swing corner and throw a conventional in that corner and feather the hinge as it comes around. I swung a whopper in the wind this morning using that face...darn thing went to coming around so fast it was a little scary but I was timing it with the wind, when it went my way I laid into her. It jumped nearly 25' down the slope...quite impressive! I have another video uploading from yesterday and I use the face I just explained on a real good swing...pulled it just shy of 180* and put it in the layout.

check your pm box.

CX3

Or you could lay it up the hill and make the skidder man pull cable lol
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

NCLogger

I tried this a few times it worked half way, watched your video 3or4 times i think i've figured or where i screwed up! I'd like to see the 2nd video you were talkin about.

Ed_K

Check your bar paint at the base, my 576 was doing the nasty oil thing.Turned out the paint was to thick and cracked and the oil just poured out.I wire brushed the paint off,no more leak.
Ed K

littlechub

CCC4

Thanks! Hey....do we know each other?? LOL! We are in each others back yard huh? I cut for Raymond, are you a logger?
Dang nice brownies ya got there! Buffalo river specials! Super nice!

littlechub

we have probably seen each other around a thousand times, but I don't think we know each other. I cut a few logs when I lived in southeast Missouri but don't now. I have a little norwood mill and just cut a few behind the house and run my mill when I need to. the brownies actually came from norfork lake this summer.

CCC4

It's pretty neat to see someone from Dolph of all places! LOL! I'm sending you a pm...Hell we might live on the same lane!

littlechub

Lol, yeah I was pretty surprised to see dolph as your location. We live pretty danG close.

Thank You Sponsors!