iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoke House Build

Started by campfire courage, January 11, 2014, 12:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campfire courage

I'm new to the Forestry Forum, I've made a few posts and thank everyone for helping me feel welcome. I'm an active outdoors writer, always working on a project. I own a WoodMizer LT 30 and enjoy wood in all its greatness. I was excited to post on the forum and have had some issues with images and spent most of today working a way out to get images in place. Thank you for your help and patience, hope you enjoy my project.

The process begins with a few Hemlock logs, placing them on the WoodMizer mill and making the proper size lumber for the build.   

Next I dug a trench about 14 feet long and buried the 8 inch pipe with a draft control at the top just after the 90 degree angle.

Moving on the pipe was insulated with sawdust from the mill and covered with dirt.

Next the area was leveled and a rough stone foundation was laid up, then the wooden base was built and the beging of the smokehouse structure. Most of the wood is quite thick, real 4x4, 2x4 and 2x24 inch lumber for the floor and base structure.

Another image of the base and flooring.

Now the framing is started, 2x4 studs and header.

More Hemlock logs for the structure, you would be surprised how many logs it takes to build a structure.

Milled boards for the siding, the building process continues.

The siding and roof are placed and nailed, make sure the walls are square before the siding is put in place.

Framed out the door, placed the hinges and bolted up a lock.

Next a 55 gallon barrel was used for the firebox, I cut a feed door out of the top and welded hinges and a lock to the front and cut the draft pipe into the back. Placed the firebox in the hole and covered it with gravel. Used an old wood burner grate inside to help protect he barrel and give the fire a better draft.   

The Firebox in place and first fire inside.

Time to hang some bacon and some Kielbasa inside,

Kielbasa,

Finished Smoke House.       

Temp Gauge and meat thermometer.

Finished Product.

Wood is my life, Saw it, drag it, mill it, burn it, build with it, cook with it, heat with it.

WoodMizer LT 30, Kabota 3940, Log Arch, Stihl saws.

beenthere

Campfire
Put your pic in the post so we can see it (like you see in other posts).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

campfire courage

If I knew how to do right I would. I had asked someone earlier and they said this was type of post ok, I'll just delete it.
Wood is my life, Saw it, drag it, mill it, burn it, build with it, cook with it, heat with it.

LeeB

Nothing wrong with your post, we just would like to see the pictures in the post. you figured out how to get htem in the gallery. Getting them in the post is easy from there. Right under the box where you type in your post is a bar that says "click here to add Photos to post". Click on that, go to your gallery, click on a photo, scroll down and find where it says add to post and you've done it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Shotgun

Campfire,  Don't delete the post, just edit it.  Take out the link to your gallery and put the pictures in that same post with some descriptions.  You're doing well, and once you learn the technique, you're good.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Alcranb

Campfire, trust me if I can do it you can too lol! Takes a little patience but...
Anyhow welcome and btw that meat looks awesome!!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

campfire courage

I've spent all morning trying to make the post and I'm having problems. I belong to a few forums and never have had this much trouble posting pics.  I keep getting an error that I don't have permission to post. I tried to delete the post and can't also.     

thecfarm

It is diffeant,the picture part,but the pictures will always be here. Very few red X on here.
Posting a picture,than talking about it,with a topic like a smoke house is great. Others members have done a long post about a build that they have down. A couple members have a post about the work they are doing on thier land. These posts are quite old,but they keep updating them every so often. Interesting to see all that. Having a bunch of pictures is good to look at,but without a story on how you got to each picture,don't mean much to me.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

campfire
Follow these steps (as you already have done great getting your pics into your gallery).

Go to the post where you want to put the pics and click on the "Modify" button.
Then go to the blue hi-lighted bar below the post window that says "Click here to add Photos to post" and click it.
A new window will pop up, and you have some choices in the menu at the top. Click on "My gallery" where your pics will pop up. Just select and click on the one you want to put in the post.
That pic will get larger (no longer a thumbnail).

Then ( I think the stumbling block in picture posting for most) SCROLL down below that pic and you will see
the choices you have. Click on the one that says "Insert Image in Post".  You will get another window pop up that asks Yes or NO question, and click "Yes".  Your pic will now be in your post.

Always click on "Preview" to make sure it is there. If not, you can retrace your steps to learn why not.

It is much easier to do it than to explain it, but like was said, you have built the smoke house with some clever design and a few words to go with the pics will explain what we are seeing.

Please give it a shot.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DeerMeadowFarm

Awesome smoke house! How do you damper it down for smoking?

campfire courage

DMF, I can regulate the fire by the front door of the fire box increasing or decreasing the draft also in the pipe just before it enters the floor I have a conventional draft control. I've had heat as high as 350 and can run it as low as 80 with no problem. 
Wish I could make everyone happy and post the images WITH descriptions. Spent most of the day working on this.     

thecfarm

This just to help you
This is the start of the SH,4x4

I buried the pipe in the ground

This is the smoking part

I just want to show you it can be done.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

campfire courage

Thank you, I'm doing my best, I understand there should be a description, I also understand it can be done. For some reason when I need to browse for the image I'm not able to (the Browse button will not work) so I can't place them in the post. I know it looks like I just don't have any experience with a forum but I'm having issues and if I could have posted the images I would have explained my building progress. I've tried a few things like an unacceptable PDF and a link and posting differnt ways,. I'm sorry for the issues.         

reswire

This forum is toooo full of ideas.  I've got to have one of those!!!  Post some pics when your done.  Looks awesome.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

beenthere

c courage    ;D  keep that courage.  :)

You shouldn't have to "browse" if you are clicking on the top menu line after clicking the "Click here to add Photos to post".
I think this is the step you may be missing. It is in the menu header at the top, and next to the "Home" tab.
south central Wisconsin

coxy

come on campfire you can do it  :D :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)      If I can do it you can do it  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

coxy

thecfarm why did you put the pipe in the ground and why is the drum half covered  there must be method  to your madness  :D :D

campfire courage

Smoke runs up hill, need the smoke house above the firebox, also helps insulate the pipe and when its cold out the pipe and box will cool off rather quickly. I build smokers the way I like them, you can build one anyway you would like.

thecfarm

Now it all makes some sense. Good job on the posting of the build. I use hemlock for most of my buildings too.

Alcranb

Way to go Campfire!  8). You weren't the only one frustrated with their initial picture posting but thecfarm and and beenthere helped me through it too great guys, great forum!!
Nice job on the smokehouse. Reminds me of when I was a kid I had a brainfart and tried to make a smoker out of an old refrigerator. I made a set up similar to yours. My Dad let me have a piece bacon from a pig we had just slaughtered. I made a fire and promptly made leather :( guess I should have used a thermometer :)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

coxy

Quote from: campfire courage on January 11, 2014, 06:47:51 PM
Smoke runs up hill, need the smoke house above the firebox, also helps insulate the pipe and when its cold out the pipe and box will cool off rather quickly. I build smokers the way I like them, you can build one anyway you would like.
sorry did not know that was your pics     as far as the pipe in the ground never seen it done that way but its for good reason   I was not saying any thing bad about the smoke house  was just asking why it was done like that

campfire courage

I understand, did not think you were saying anything bad :}  I'm just saying you can build them anyway you like. Some build them above ground and some use an electric heater with wood chips. I meant you can build one any way you desire. Its just a smoke box :} 

coxy

do you just smoke the bacon or cook and smoke at the same time    its making me  digin1 digin_2   and do you have to put smoke in the new house for awhile be for you put anything in it

campfire courage

Bacon is not cooked or at least the way I do it its not cooked, its only done at about 100 degrees for about four hours to get the smoke in it. Then I cook it at a later date when we are having breakfast just like any store bought bacon. 

You don't have to season your smoke house but it helps to burn a new smokehouse for awhile just to get it up and running. 

goose63

Campfire as my granddaddy would say son you gona have a smoke house you got to smoke the h--l out of it first smiley_devil smiley_fireman_hat
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Mooseherder

Very nice build Campfire.  I really like the design.   :)
Yesteryear village at the South Florida Fairgrounds has one close to your build with the way you built the firebox and channeled the pipe into the smokehouse.  They have a couple windows so you can see inside for demonstration.

Sonofman

That is a nice looking smoke house, cc. I like the design, I really like the idea of the fire barrel and how you get the smoke to the house.

I have a friend that has a smoke house right outside his house.

In the background is his house, in the foreground is his smokehouse. Note it is close to his house.

See what looks like where someone has been putting their hands on the door?

Another pic, a little closer. My friend lives just outside Hanes, Alaska. The hand prints are actually where Grizzlies come up at night, smell the scent of meat that is not in the smokehouse but has been, and try to get in it.

I hope you do not have the same problem, CC.
Located due west of Due West.

campfire courage

Yes, we have the same problem with Black Bears My dogs run them off. We have plenty of bear here, most times we have a cookout they showup.   Just enjoy smoking meat and such and I though many of the members here would be interested. . 

campfire courage

Quote from: goose63 on January 11, 2014, 08:31:59 PM
Campfire as my granddaddy would say son you gona have a smoke house you got to smoke the h--l out of it first smiley_devil smiley_fireman_hat

Goose, your granddaddy would know, old timers know everything and listing to them is always a good idea. I like a dark brown almost burnt smokebox, hemlock seasons well! 

Ken

Campfire courage  Great looking project. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

reswire

Campfire, I have to ask,,,,, have you ever tried smoking bear meat????  Had a friend who gave me some bear steak once.  Only once (all that I asked).  I didn't have a clue how to make it taste good, but he swore it was good if you knew how to cook it. 
I've got to try and build one of those, and when I do, I'll check with you for some recipes.  You should be a pro at smoking by then.   ;D ;D ;D   
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

campfire courage

Have not smoked bear although its greasy enough it might smoke well.  I've had plenty of bear, Best way I find it made is to mix half bear and half beef burger into Meatballs with some egg, onions, seasoning. Like any meatball and the after frying them, simmer in some good home made spaghetti sauce.  They will be the best spaghetti and meatballs you ever had, its the grease in the bear. kinda gives it a sweet taste. 
that's my recommendation, try and experiment, seems like each bear is a little differnt as to what they are feeding on.

Should you ever need any advice on smoking just ask, I've been smoking for a long time.         

Buck

Great project! Im a professional smokehouse products QC inspector. Should you need my services. ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

drobertson

Nice smoker! only one draw back, I am not going to be able to enjoy the fruits of the labor ;D
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ely

im glad I seen this, thank you for posting it and taking the time to do it this way... I have to have me one of those now, and I will be in touch with you learning how to use it.

Rockn H

That's a nice smoke house.  Would love to see a post on how to use it for us want-a-be's. ;D

Planman1954

What wood type would be good to use to build the smokehouse other than hemlock? We have pine, oak, hickory, pecan, for example down here in Louisiana...l.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

LeeB

I would save the pecan and hickory for smoking with, not in. I'll probably use oak when I build, it's what I have. I don't figure cedar would be such a good choice.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

campfire courage

Glad you all like the project, my family and I enjoy smoking its good eating and a great way to spend some time with the family. I don't think I need my smokehouse QC inspected but if I do I'll be contacting you. I've built quite a few smokers, in my day, At one time I had a small portable smoker that I made form a wooden frame and stapled thick cardboard to the outside. Basically all you need is a firebox, a pipe to carry the smoke and a container to hold the smoke and items to be smoked. You can use your imagination. I like wood for my smokehouse as it seasons from the smoke and holds the smoke flavor.

Planman, You can use any type of wood you like I would recommend pine but I don't know anything about Pecan. Its just a wood box so when you consider smoking at high heat such as 350 degrees your fire is really burning and sparks and heat build up at the point of smoke entry. If you look at my images you'll see a heavy metal pipe cover or cap which isolates the heated pipe from the wood and dampers hot sparks. The lessons you learn, if I can help with your build just  let me know.             

ely

what does the pipe look like where it comes thru the floor of the house... open hole or does it have a rain cap type top on it?

campfire courage

I thought it was included in my images,  this is the cap I made for the floor entry point of the smoke pipe.

clww

Great build and photos, too!
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

LeeB

You gonna share your recipe for kielbasa?

Rockn H

Campfire, we're down in the delta with mostly flat ground so all the wood fired smokers here are basically BBQ grills with a fire box on one end.   The few "walk-ins" that I've seen like yours have had the fire built inside the smoker with just a pit in the floor.  It's hard to regulate the heat or smoke that way.  Lots of opening the door. LOL  I never built one because it didn't look like a good setup.   Your's has got me thinking about building one high enough off the ground to run the smoke stack into the floor like yours, just without the hill.  I'm thinking about 3' off the ground, on post, would be plenty.

Raider Bill

Campfire, does ground temperature  effect your smoke?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Planman1954

Quote from: campfire courage on January 13, 2014, 11:38:54 AM

Planman, You can use any type of wood you like I would recommend pine       

Thanks Campfire! Pine is what I have plenty of! My late friend Jimmy Smith built one out of pine. I was just wondering if the wood in the structure has any affect on the taste of the meat.

Wick

Holy smoke!! That's awesome. Glad you figured out the posting thing, really enjoyed that. Thanks
Timber Harvester 30HT25

ely

not sure I seen the size of your smokehouse, but I was wondering how big you made it, roughly.

campfire courage

Ok, I'll try and answer all the questions I see here in one post.

The wood used to build the smoke house should not change the flavor, at least I have not had that experience. Once the inside of the smoker is smoked or seasoned it usually holds just a smoke flavor :}

The smoker is built 5x5 wide and 7 foot high.

I have seen them built similar to mine but like you said maybe three feet high, small set of steps going up to it and the fire box at ground level. That will work! Try and keep it about 12 to 15 feet away from the firebox depending on your climate as warm temps need it farther away. If its 70 degrees and your smoking the box temp will run high so it needs to be farther away. If its cold where you are then it can be somewhat closer, I did about 12 feet and underground so its insulated from the cold and I can run it cool like 90 degrees and I've had it as high as 350 degrees.

Ground temp will effect your smoke if its frozen or really cold, I insulated my ground with saw dust and the put a plank over it with some gravel around everything so the pipe is insulated.  Only thing I see is if it gets really hot, like if I'm smoking around 350 degrees I see the saw dust starting to smolder at the front of the pipe just behind the firebox, which is no big deal. You can customize your build anyway you think will work better. I figured using stove pipe with gravel and saw dust was pretty sufficient.

yes, I'll get you the ingredients here soon, the recipe is not as important as how long and the temps you smoke the keilbasa :}

LeeB

I've got a recipe I use and have been tweaking for a while. Almost got it where I want it. I just like to try new recipes.  You are very right on how long and what temps.

campfire courage

You know what you like, I like brown sugar, Garlic, not so much salt, pepper, and I use some olive oil as a binder. I also use some italin seasoning mix. Oh, and maybe more garlic. :} 

You can add anything and try it. do some small batches for a test,

LeeB

Mine has sugar, I'll have to try the brown sugar. Pretty much most of the other stuff you mentioned and powdered milk for a binder. I learned to cut way back on the salt called for in the original recipe I started with by quite a lot. Lots of garlic does make it good. I also like to add a little jalapeno powder for a kick.

ely

thanks, this is my new favorite thread.

Chuck White

Anyone ever tried smoking a loin or a quarter of venison!

I think I'd try it if I had a smokehouse.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom L

Quote from: Chuck White on January 14, 2014, 02:25:24 PM
Anyone ever tried smoking a loin or a quarter of venison!

I think I'd try it if I had a smokehouse.

I've tried it and didn't like the way it came out, maybe because the meat is so lean, or it just may be me
pork smokes much better IMO

Planman1954

Yeah to the venison! My friend Jimmy used to smoke a deboned quarter in his grill/smoker for 8 hours. Then he would super thin slice it on his slicer, and then freeze it and use it for sandwiches. It was GOOD.

21incher

Great job on the smokehouse. I have enjoyed following the build. About the venison, make peperoni out of some of it.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coxy

i know this is an old post just wanted to see how things was going 

Thank You Sponsors!