iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie, going with the HM126!!!

Started by JamieT, January 20, 2014, 11:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieT

Hello all, name is Jamie, im 35 years old. Born and raised in Calhoun county Alabama ( WAR *DanG EAGLE!!) This site is amazing  like most newbies ive looked,searched,researched,and looked again at the entry level bandsaw mills and have decided on the HM126. Im not in this for production, or to make money. Im doing it for the personal satisfaction of building things of my own,with my own. Ive read and read about mills, but havent seen much on site preparation  although portable  my mill will most likely be stationary  I understand there are 100's of different set ups. Im just looking for any tips or ideas that mite come my way. Thanks in advance, im as excited as a fat kid in a candy store!!
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

LaneC

Hello.
Welcome to the site. I can't help but plenty will be chiming in.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Andy White

JamieT
I am the proud owner of a Woodland HM126 also. I love it for all the same reasons you just described. Mine is stationary, and I have built an arch to load logs and to turn larger cants on the bed. Several ideas I read about on the forum, and put to use around my mill. Set it up well, and adjust it accurately, and have fun. Welcome to the Forum. For ideas, go to my gallery and see photos of some of the projects I've done with this mill.  8)     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

JamieT

Thanks for the welcome! Andy, im still learning to navigate this site on my cell phone, but I will definitely check out your pics! Live on roughly 100acres and have beautiful trees down already  once I get the mill, and figure it all out, gonna build a mill shed, then a small barn for my horse. And who knows what after that! Once you ordered your mill, how long did it take to arrive?
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Andy White

JamieT
It was less than a week as I recall. It took longer to fill out the homeland security paperwork!!!  It will pass before you know it!!!    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

JamieT

I have a number for Neil. I heard him or Josh were the 2 to talk to. I will try giving them a call soon so I can get the ball rolling, or blade turning lol

mad murdock

Welcome JamieT, and congratulations on the new mill!!  Your well on your way to a full blown case of SIB (sawdust In Blood) 8) Thow up some pics of your creations when you get going on your projects. :new_year:
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

JamieT

Thanks mad Murdock  I certainly will post pics! im ready to buy! Andy kinda spooked me with the homeland security papers lol. I need to get things started NOW!!

JamieT

Talk about customer service!! I emailed woodland and within5 mins got a phone call from Cory! This is gonna be great ;-)

thecfarm

JamieT,it will be even greater when the sawdust is flying and the lumber piles are growing and buildings are being built. Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Billbob

Welcome Jamie.  I bought a Woodland last fall and started using it a couple of weeks ago.  I'm in the learning stages as well.  Like you, I have buildings to build for horses and machinery.  The mill is easy to use and you'll have loads of fun and satisfaction.  I also discovered that when sawing, 5 hours fly by pretty quick!  And as you discovered, the folks at Woodland are great to deal with.

Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

MIsawyer

JamieT

Thanks all for the welcome. Ive been browsing the site all day! Creepin! lol tons of helpful tips,  and very good info! any recommendations on a good set of blades? I will mostly be sawing pine with an oak here or there. Ive read all about the blades. I wanna hear from the average guy makin a few boards.....

Andy White

JamieT
One word.... Woodmizer Double Sharp/with resharp service. I started using them in August, and they can't be beat! 8)   Andy

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Andy White on January 20, 2014, 08:10:41 PM
JamieT
One word.... Woodmizer Double Sharp/with resharp service. I started using them in August, and they can't be beat! 8)   Andy

smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JamieT

HaroldSiefke

Welcome to the forum. I to own a HM126, I like to modify. I also like Woodmaxx blades they are very sharp out of box not sure about the re-sharp because I sharpen my own, but there about 15 dollars a blade. I was told buy a guy when I bought my mill you should not own a mill without a sharpener. It was good advise...Good luck and happy milling. Hal
Harold

Magicman

Hello JamieT, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Sound like that you are going to need a whack of stickers  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jimmy Mc

Welcome to the forum. You are going to have a lot of fun. I have a Hf mill about the same size as yours. I bought some Woodmaxx blades. One of the members here has a mill like mine and also sharpens bands. He suggested them. They are great. The only other blade I have used is the lenex that came with it. I could not get it to cut without wave.
      Another member told me to pull out a couple, three small logs and practice on them. Don't worry about making great lumber out of them. Just cut stickers, You are going to need a lot of them anyway, and they are just as fun to cut. By the time I had the first one cut up, the mill was just about setup and could saw a nice board.

Jimmy
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

JamieT

You all sure know how to make a fella feel welcomed! I talked with Cory yesterday  Im ordering the mill with a one track extension. I will need to cut 12ft  boards. Now if that income tax would just hurry up!! Waiting is gonna kill me!

21incher

Welcome to the forum. What is the homeland security paperwork for? Never heard of that to buy a mill before.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

JamieT.I have a manual mill too. You will need a cantdog or a peavey from Logrite,sponsor on the left. They do cost a little,but don't run over it with the truck,tractor too many times and it will be a tool that your grandkids can use.  ;D  logrite_cool  You really need at least one. I myself prefer the peavey,the one with the point. You can stick the point on between the logs to separate them and stick the point in the gorund so it stands up for the next time you need it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JamieT

21incher,  pretty sure that was just a joke. Cody at woodland said all I have to do is give them my credit card number, they take care of the rest. It will ship out of buffalo ny

JamieT

Cory, sorry. His name was Cory! Real nice fella

Andy White

JamieT and 21incher
I asked the same question when I bought my mill. They want to know about anything that is imported into the country after 9/11. I told one of them that it wasn't like I was going to saw down the Washington Monument or anything like that! They found no humor in that.    >:( >:( >:(    Andy 

JamieT

I was told it would ship out from there ware house in buffalo ny. He (Cory) laughed when i mentioned the homeland security thing. Lol

Billbob

Andy - as a former federal employee here in Canada I can state with authority that most bureaucrats have no sense of humor!  They have a hard time telling the difference between the 1%ers and the rest of the 'normal' population.  As the saying goes "common sense isn't so common"

Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

NeilB

Hi JamieT,

Very glad to hear that Kory was able to help you out and you'll soon be enjoying one of our sawmills! Don't worry about Homeland Security, we will ship your mill out of our Buffalo warehouse so no issues there. I expect it to reach you in about a week after ordering.

It sounds like you're going to be setting up your mill stationary, but we just designed a new off-road sawmill trailer you may want to look at. If you visit our website again, there is a new link on the top left for it. You'll want to download the 16' trailer drawing since I believe you're adding an extra extension.

Since these trailers are one solid long piece, we can't really ship them in a cost effective manner so we just decided to provide drawings/info for customers who may be interested in building their own...

Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you soon!

Thanks,
Neil
Woodland Mills
Neil B
Woodland Mills

JamieT

Neil, I seen the trailer plans. ;-) im weighing different options on it right now. Im 100% on the mill. As soon as the government decides to give me what they owe me your phone will be ringing! Ive read many reviews on the mill and im satisfied it will get the job done. Yes sir, I will be ordering one extension so I can cut 12ft boards. With the extra 6ft extension  whats the max length I can cut? Also, i noticed on the order page there were no taxes? That makes the deal even sweeter! Ive heard a lot of good comments of you, and Josh, and my convo with kory was very helpful! I see this as the start to a good relationship! Cant wait to get it and fire it up!

NeilB

JamieT,

With the extra 6' track extension, you'll be able to mill up to 16' logs. If we haven't done so already, we can email you a quote. Just shoot us an email and we'll give you a price break down on everything you're looking at.

Look forward to seeing your milling pictures when the sawdust starts flying! For now, I guess you'll need to be patient!  :)

Thanks,
Neil
Woodland Mills
Neil B
Woodland Mills

MAI

JamieT,
Welcome aboard.  Ask and the members will answer and then some.
Congrats

goose63

Quote from: MAI on January 23, 2014, 12:50:01 PM
JamieT,
Welcome aboard.  Ask and the members will answer and then some.
Congrats
Just don't bring up grits like you wood land is the one I am going with when the bucks get here 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

Nomad

Grits?  Did thecfarm actually say "GRITS?"  FOOD!!! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

goose63

Quote from: thecfarm on January 23, 2014, 06:15:38 PM
You brought grits up first.  ;D
Your right being a farm boy from N D I kinda like em food6
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

JamieT

Yall call'em grits up north? They ain't real grits if they have sugar in'em! Oh btw ...."I like mustard on my biscuits. Mmh hmm" lol

thecfarm

grits is not a bad word. but saying
grits

and

food.

In the same sentence could be a bad thing.

JamieT

Billbob

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Billbob

thecfarm

Oh the horrors. I was just blind sided.   :(
grits is also in the Forestry Forum Dictionary,under Extras,in the above Menu bar that starts out with Home.

Magicman

And it was not recently added.   ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

thecfarm

I came back to read,but not scrolling up. I'm on my way to bed and I don't want any nightmares.

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 25, 2014, 09:56:34 PM
Sweet Dreams, Ray.

He must sleep with his computer....his box is still green.  :D :D :D

Magicman

Maybe he needs another picture so he will not have to scroll up.   :)

With smoked sausage, biscuit, and BBTom's maple syrup.   food6

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

Oh no.  Now you have went and done it.  He will rail against the grits because of the sacrilege of the maple syrup.  He is from Maine, you know.  They has maples up thar.   

Magicman

:D  I had a sopping good time.   musteat_1

thecfarm

I can scroll mighty fast Magicman.  :D 
POSTON,I think Jeff kicks us off in 15 minutes when there is no usage on here,idle time. That was only 10 minutes after I had gone to bed.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!