iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A southern sawyer's first experience with frozen logs

Started by Ga Mtn Man, January 25, 2014, 07:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

It's been unusually cold here in Georgia for the last few weeks.  Yesterday morning I fired up the mill and started into a SYP cant that was left on the mill from the day before.  Almost immediately there was smoke coming out of the kerf and blowing out of the sawdust chute  :o and the blade was surfing up and down wildly.  My first thought was that I must have hit metal.  I stopped the blade and checked it for damage.  It looked OK and as I was too far in the cut to back out I went ahead and finished the 20' cut, smoke billowing out of the chute the whole way.  After pushing the slab off, it was clear what the problem was.  Packed frozen sawdust was stuck to the cant like glue.  Of course the "smoke" that I was seeing was really just steam from the heat of the blade.  I put the one 4°  blade that I had on and managed to finish the log without too much trouble.  Luckily the log on the mill was the only one that seemed to be frozen.  I guess I need a warning sign: "Logs On Mill May Freeze Before Log Pile".  :laugh:

I also discovered that when it's really cold out sawdust can freeze around the guide rollers, stopping them from spinning.

Honestly, I don't know how you guys up north deal with the really cold stuff year after year. :snowman: go_away

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Billbob

I was milling yesterday in -14c weather. ;)  As you can imagine all my logs are frozen!  I use a blade with a 10 degree hook and it saws through frozen logs very nicely.  I think if you go below a 7 degree hook you'll have problems with frozen logs.  10 degree is rated as general purpose for hardwood, softwood or frozen.  Yep, I learnt that here on the forum!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

ladylake

A 4° blade will saw frozen or tough to cut wood better than  higher hook angles.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

blade was surfing up and down wildly.

Lucky it did not do that through the whole log. Frozen logs are fine,it's the half and half that will cause all the problems.
Too bad to have the cold temps that so many of you are not use too and don't need either. No big deal here. It's somthing that happens each and every year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

The first winter that I sawed all of my logs were frozen clear through and I was really concerned.  But I had no problems at all.  The only issue was the saw dust instantly freezing to the boards but that was easily knocked off using a framing square a scraper.  We sawed a lot of frozen logs that winter that we used to build the cabin next spring.  Don't worry about it.  Just find a blade that works and go for it.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

chopperdr47

I feel your pain. I'm just east of Birmingham and we have not been enjoying this bought of northern aggression either.

The last log I cut was Thursday and I didn't have any trouble with it but there has been more, what we call, "severe" cold since then. I don't know how frozen my logs are but the squirrels have an ice rink where our pool used to be. 
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is how I deal with a frozen log in the South.

I saw it into 18" lengths and put it in my fireplace at a 4° angle.
I get in my recliner, laid back at a 10° angle.
My T.V. sets 7° between my recliner and my fireplace.
My lap top is opened to the Forestry Forum on a 47° angle.

And I just sits there waiting for Spring.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 25, 2014, 11:16:22 AM

:D :D :D

Did you find those ° recommendations on the WM blade-finder app? :D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

terrifictimbersllc

Still think you should stuff in some felt and gorilla glue over that tummy, just saying.... :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 25, 2014, 11:27:03 AM

Still think you should stuff in some felt and gorilla glue over that tummy, just saying.... :D

My tummy is where I set my bowl of Cheerwine and Ice Cream.  ;D

Ga Mtn Man

Wow.  Only took 12 posts to turn to the subject of FOOD!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2014, 11:18:26 AM
David,  I likes your °'s.   ;D

I knew David was edjumicated but I didn't realize he has so many degrees!  :D

Herb

Billbob

Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

MIsawyer

I have problems with the half frozen and have thawed logs.  I use 4 degree hook and it works great

NMFP

Most of my band customers are now on 4 degree bands right now due to the frozen logs.  Will most likely be on 4 degree until at least the end of February and then will go back to 7 and 10 degree for normal sawing. 

Until then, all but one machine will be set on 4 degree  :) :) :) :) :)

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Magnolia flowers, mint juleps, and The Masters Golf Tournament on TV.  All viewed and consumed at an all purpose 10° angle to the horizontal, measured from a recliner  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chopperdr47

Like GA MTN MAN,  frozen are not usually a problem here. But today I went to cut the spits off the ends of some boards. I had a good blade on my skil saw but it wasn't cutting well at all. Then I saw the steam.

I'll take some of that global warming about now. Until then, I'm making that recommended recliner adjustment.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 25, 2014, 10:24:44 PM

Magnolia flowers, mint juleps, and The Masters Golf Tournament on TV.  All viewed and consumed at an all purpose 10° angle to the horizontal, measured from a recliner  :D.

DanG if you didn't hit the nail on the head!  8) 8) 8)

Sixacresand

Don't get too cold up there on that Georgia Mountain.  I am more inclined to be in my recliner during the hot summer under the AC than miss out on good ole cold working days.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!