iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking my diesel to Alaska

Started by Qweaver, January 27, 2014, 08:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

GM in their wisdom, put a 24gal tank on the diesel pickup.  At 13 to 15 mpg loaded that's only 300 or so miles between fill-ups at the max.  So on this Alaska trip I'll need to carry spare fuel cans.  So, where do I put them with the truck bed full of camper?  I could build some kind of shelf that hangs down the sides of the bed.  Nothing good comes to mind with that idea.  Maybe beside the door on the back of the camper.  I'm paying for 31' on the ferry and if I take the truck, I'll only use 22'.  Maybe a 6' trailer to haul "stuff"   Planning, planning, planning.  ::)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

firecord

Put a rack on top?  Buy a large polly tank that can be mounted in a dead space in the camper.  just thoughts

fuzzybear

Most I see are strapped on top of the camper wrapped in trash bags right next to the extra full size spare tire..  There are a lot of dirt roads here in the north hence the trash bags to keep the dust out.   Make sure you have at least 2 full size spares...it's a long way between tire shops.  Also..make sure your lugs are torqued correct so you can get them off by yourself. It really sucks trying to get lug nuts loose that someone  over tightened with an air gun.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

clww

What about a removable tank like the ones used for boats? Attach it to the top of the camper.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Some folks use a "Hitch Hauler" that inserts into your hitch receiver.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

If your camper is just bed length, get a couple of "jerry cans" and mount them on your rear bumper!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Warbird

If your trailer hitch isn't covered, get one of those hitch shelves.

sawguy21

Where are you going that you will be more than 300 miles between fuel stops?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brucer

Here in the BC interior that are limits to how many portable fuel cans you can carry on our inland ferries. I have no idea what the rules are for coastal ferries. Might be an idea to do a little research  :P.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Qweaver

The trailer hitch mounted carrier should be the solution.  We came close to running out of fuel several times on our trips between WV and TX.  Some places just roll up the sidewalks after 9 pm.  I 'd rather have the security of spare fuel.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Bill Gaiche

Qweaver

Checked out the camper today.  We really liked it.  Looks very sturdy.  Don't think this one is going to leak.  It's very small but that is what we wanted.  Full size bed and no table.  We'll just use a folding table.  This is a new camper and a real bargain at $6200, +$550 for the mounting hardware and labor to mount it.  No AC or refrig. but 3 burner cook stove, water heater, furnace, sink, Propane tank and hookup, lights, power vents, etc.  I looked really close at the quality of the construction and it looks really good. 
Put the deposit down today and get it mounted Thur.   Then it's "Alaska here we come"  We will save over $1000 on the ferry fee by not taking a trailer.  I've always wanted a truck camper so that we could take the sail boat with us.
We are really getting excited about this trip.  8)

Magicman

That means that even with the Hitch Hauler you should still be less than 25'.  That's good.   :)

Are we gonna get a picture?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

When I got my truck it had a 36 gal tank which I had removed and a 65 gal Titan Tank put in. Titan Tanks are made of heavy poly same as original tank and there are dealers all over the country, not cheap but nice.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sawguy21

At our prices, I would need to take out a mortgage to fill that tank. :o Are you boarding the ferry at Seattle or Prince Rupert? You would be traveling through Canada at a good time with our dollar hovering at 90 cents U.S. Sure gonna bite when we go south.
Are you taking the Alaska highway one way? Fuel is readily available but try not to go much below half a tank, it can be a good distance to the next station. You won't find many if any campgrounds open before June and a lot of roadside turn outs like gravel pits will be snowed in. Watch the weather and err on the side of caution. North east BC is wide open prairie and DanG cold this time of year with no place to hide from the wind.

sandhills

Take note of what Brucer said, the last trip my uncle made with the '55 they made him empty his extra gas can before boarding the ferry.  He had a stepside box and always carried it there right behind the cab.  Also take advise about the extra spare tire, we used both ours in about a twenty mile stretch on the Alaska Highway, and we had new tires on the truck before we left.

Qweaver

Was it the Canadian or US ferry that made you empty the tanks?   What's on the roads that caused you to lose tires?  We will only be using the Canadian ferry on the southward trip when we plan to stop in Powell River to visit friends.  I travel gravel roads on a regular basis here in WV (we live on a crushed rock road) with no problems.  There most be something different about the Alaska roads to cause this many problems.  I will have two good spares with me.

Quinton
We are picking up the camper today.  Pics to follow.

m wood

qweaver, the AlCan (and other Alaskan paved and dirt roads) deal with massive freeze thaw issues and they just cant get those miles repaired.  Plus you have massive vehicles travelling them which means massive wear & tear.  TAKE THE 2 SPARES, you wont regret it :D.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Qweaver

Getting the camper mounted on my truck has been a nightmare.  We got to the dealer at 10:30 this AM.  It's now 5 pm and the camper is still not on the truck.  1st the $500 mount kit would not fit and after hours of a poor attempt to modify the rear brackets I just stopped them and I'll properly fit the brackets myself.  The fronts fit OK.  Then when we tried to load the camper it will have to be shimmed up 4" to clear the cab.  They are making 2x4 cribbing now.  I'd like to get home be fore dark!  It ain't happening.  These guys do this all the time...they should know how.  :(

BBTom

Sounds like you need a 4" high fuel tank the same shape as the truck bed.  Solve 2 issues with one tank. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

sandhills

Qweaver, sorry I can't tell you for sure about the ferry route because I wasn't on that trip and my uncle passed away,   but if memory serves correct it was the U.S. side, and was also shortly after the 9/11 tragedy.  As far as the tires go it was shale that sliced both of them, from slides down the mountains (we had to drive through, more or less).  Not trying to scare you by any means just be prepared and I guarantee you'll have the trip of a lifetime  :)!  Won't matter much what route you choose either.

Qweaver

Gas mileage.  We got 17 mpg running empty at 70 mph going over to get the camper.  Got 14 mpg running 60 mph coming home.  I'm a little surprised at 3 mpg difference at 10mph less.  The camper is less that 2000 lb. but lots of added windage  and drag increases at the square of the speed.  I'll try a test run at 70 and 50mph to see how much that changes the mileage.

Magicman

Don't be surprised.  I drop 3 mpg with my truck camper which also weighs 2000 and the speed does not seem to matter much.

Mine is a "popup" which gives it much less wind resistance when traveling.

And then when we get to where we are going, the top cranks up.

Qweaver

I'm going to fab a trailer hitch mounted carrier and I think some shorter steps like yours would work well fastened to it.
Bad news this morning, the camper is too tall by just a few inches to fit in any of my sheds.  I will have to put a lean-to roof on one shed to allow it to fit.  Dang!

Mooseherder

Paul_H

Quote from: Magicman on February 01, 2014, 10:58:14 AM
And then when we get to where we are going, the top cranks up.

The Grizzlies call them clams.Hard shell but pop off the top and there are soft delicious morsels inside.  :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguy21

Warbird

I like your setup, MM.  My goal is to have something similar in the next couple of years.  You said your mileage drops by ~3 mpg but didn't say what the overall mileage is?  Your truck looks like a gasser, not a diesel?

ET

Qweaver, wow, ive talked with my wife for years about driving north to Alaska. We have a truck camper also. Its a Lance Sportsman, well insulated and suited for cold weather and weighs 2300 lbs when full. I take it into the mountains around Parkersburg/Mineral Wells area every hunting season. I never did make it to Buckhannon this year to visit you, maybe next year. I had the HappyjAck system plus the cab-over struts installed. The camper goes on and off in minutes.  Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Magicman

Yes, gas.  It drops from ~15 to ~12 with the camper.

Magicman

When we drove to Alaska in 1997, it was in this Class C motorhome.  We were not towing anything.

Our next trip will absolutely be in a truck camper.

Woodcarver

I and my wife made the Alcan Highway trip with our Lance truck camper a little more than 10 years ago.  I'd suggest acrylic covers for your headlights and a metal grill cover.  We put both on our truck for the trip.  One of the acrylic covers had a star burst in it when we got home.  Would have been a broken headlight without the cover.  The grill cover had a couple of dings in it.  Might have had a broken grill without the cover.

We didn't carry extra fuel and didn't have a problem.  You do need to keep an eye on the guage and plan ahead, though.  Get a current copy of the Milepost Alaska Trip Planner.  It will tell you where you can expect to find fuel, food, campgrounds, etc.  We put one to a lot of use on our trip.

The trip was a blast.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Qweaver

Good idea on the covers.  I'm also going to put a heavy duty full width animal guard on the front, mainly for deer here in WV but good up there also.  Will acrylic defuse the light much?

Woodcarver

I noticed little difference with the covers on the lights.  In fact, I left them on the truck for a long time after we returned from the trip.  They begin to look a little hazy eventually, I suppose from abrasion, and I took them off. 
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Magicman

For our first trip I made headlight and grill covers for the motorhome out of ½" hardware cloth.  Worked fine.

The windshield was dinged up pretty badly as in more than a dozen pecks, but no stars.  Slowing down and moving to the outside of your lane will help avoid wheel thrown rocks.  Thankfully most all of the roads are paved, which includes the Alcan as well as the Alaskan highways.  Frost heaves and road construction is just a way of life and the only time that they have to do repairs is during the Summer months.

thecfarm

Quote from: Magicman on February 01, 2014, 08:04:25 PM
Frost heaves and road construction is just a way of life and the only time that they have to do repairs is during the Summer months.

Sounds just like Maine.  :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

Are the frost heaves on rock and paved roads?   What is the best tactic for avoiding them or at least minimizing the damage?

Warbird

Slow down.  The heaves are usually in permafrost areas and can come up on you unexpectedly.  Paved roads, dirt, gravel, whatever. 

thecfarm

Here in Maine the roads have "BUMP' signs before a frost heave.
I grew up on a state road,speed limit 50mph and there was 2 frost heaves right back to back. Had a few snow plows come unhooked or the chians would break on the second heave. Dumps trucks were loud and logging trucks too. One lost a stake one year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

For the most part the roads are excellent.  Yes you "could" come upon something unexpectedly, but usually there is construction/reconstruction work going on. 

Qweaver

I am glad to hear that Magicman.  Because I have read numerous posts with warnings printed in all caps stating how important it is to carry at LEAST two spares.  I'm going to do that but I have to admit that is a worry for me.
The old gray mare ain't what she used to be and I don't look forward to dropping the spare down from underneath my 3/4 ton, jacking the truck up and changing it on the side of the road.

Qweaver

After traveling thru Alaska we will be driving thru Canada back to the lower 48.  We would like to visit friends in Powell River and where ever else would be worthwhile.  Any suggested routes and stops would be welcome.  What would be the best place to cross from AK to Canada?  I'm guessing we would be coming down 37 then 16 to Prince George. Then 97?

sawguy21

That is the most direct route unless you want to wander all over BC. Turn off 97 on to 99 (becomes I-5 in Washington) south of Clinton and make your way to Horseshoe Bay then the ferries to Powell River. Spectacular scenery.

Qweaver

Is it worth the effort to drive from Fairbanks to the artic circle?  It looks like about 200 miles of very iffy roads and nothing there when you get there.  I'll do it if it is worth seeing but not just to say, I've been there.  Seems like a very bad place to have a breakdown!

Qweaver

Thanks Sawguy, we have friends there that we have know since our teaching days in Australia.  They visited with us last year and we had a great time.  I had no idea how isolated Powell River was.

Raider Bill

Why bother going all that distance and not go another 200 for bragging rights?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

goose63

I would rather brake down there than down town Chicago or Detroit  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Autocar

We drove out there in 2001 its beautiful and peaceful well worth the drive and I felt the road was pretty darn good.
Bill

gspren

About 15 miles south of us is an ice cream place called the Arctic Circle so when we worked (south of there) we often joked about which of us lived north of the Arctic Circle.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Qweaver

We are trying to plan a trip up Dalton to reach the Artic circle.  The only place I can find along this road is Coldfoot, about 250 miles from Fairbanks and quite a bit above the Artic Circle. I'm looking for more info about this drive.  I see Old Man camp on the paper map but can not find it on Google or Bing. 
Quinton

Autocar

We dove it in 2001 your never regret the drive its beautiful,I don't remember the name of the place but its at the Yukon River Bridge [ Don't stop on the bridge sence 2000 they have cameras up and get pretty wired up when they see a truck stop on the bridge ] But on the north side of the river theres a hamburger shop they claim to have the biggest hamburger in Alaska. Good road all the way I felt alot of it was blacktop. If you get a chance take the Top Of The World Highway out of Tok Alaska over to Dawson Yukon what a up hill climb, when you come to the border you drive for a number of miles into Canada before they found a flat spot to put there guard shack.
Bill

Reddog

Magicman

I am trying to figure out what it is that you are trying to figure out.  The Arctic Circle is about 125 miles North of Fairbanks.  Stop just North of the Yukon River to fuel up going and coming.   Also get your "Arctic Circle" hat pin there.   They may have the Arctic Circle certificates there but we got ours at the Arctic Circle Trading Post which is at Mile 49, Elliott Highway.

We spent the rest of the "night" at the Arctic Circle rest area after watching the sun not set.  The next morning we turned around and headed back South.

Al_Smith

I got my "arctic circle" pin when I was in the navy .They call it a blue nose .Really it was being above the arctic circle under water .

Al_Smith

My dad wanted to homestead in Alaska .Had he had his way I would have been born there.

Much later 1980 to be exact he finally made it there .He was bound to spend some time above the arctic circle which he did .After a 3 month trip when they got home I asked him how cold was it .He replied not bad but the mosquitoes in summer where the size of crows .He might have been expounding a tad much on that one.

sawguy21

Not really. They have paint schemes and landing lights, take on two drums of fuel. :D Seriously they and the black flies are big and downright vicious. Couple long hours of sunlight and a short season. Bug gear and nets are mandatory if you want to preserve your sanity.

Magicman

They also refuel in flight, so outrunning them is not an option.   :-\

Qweaver

Mosquitoes and no-seeums nearly ruined a sailing trip to the Florida Keys for us a few years back.  We had to anchor far off-shore each night and if there was no wind they would still find us and the no-seeums would come right thru the netting.  Will spray and screens control them?  I would not go thru another spell with them like we did in Florida. 

Magicman

After the draft and the playing teams are selected for Alaska, the rejects are sent to Florida because they have short dull stingers.   :D

Hollis Alaska

We always enjoy our trips through Canada. One road that we really enjoy driving if we are coming down from White Horse is to take the Cassiar Hwy down and then over to Prince George. It runs down the East side of the Coastal Range (you can make a quick side trip to Hyder). Or if you're wanting to add in a boat ride is head over to Prince Rupert and catch a ride on a BC Ferry down. Prince Rupert to Port Hardy and then drive down to the Powell River Ferry) We usually catch a Alaska Ferry into Rupert  and then drive down, really enjoy our rides down south as the scenery seems to change every couple hours. It's spectacular all the way down through the Thompson and Frasier Canyons. There are a lot of old Hotels on the way down that have clean nice reasonable rooms, and friendly folks. We usually cross the border at Sumas and stay in the left lane (after the line goes around the corner it splits into two lanes and is usually faster). If your going over to Powell River you'll have to go on through Vancover and up the Sunshine Coast (there are two short ferry rides, BC Ferries are alot cheaper then Aslaska Ferries). If you do the walk over to Skookum Chuck Rapids is pretty neat and  a good way to see a tidal flow. Be sure and get a copy of the new Mile Post it will be out pretty soon (shameless plug as we have an add in the 2014 issue) So many cool things to do, the only mistake is to not give yourself enough time. Let us know if you would like any more ideas. We usually just find a place to just drive into the bush and camp out in our tent if the weather is good (we try and avoid campgrounds). Make sure your Bear Spray has a picture of a bear on it to pass through Customs, (Be sure and say Bear Spray and not Pepper Spray when talking to customs) and if your going to carry a firearm fill out your paper work before you get to the border crossing.

Gary

Qweaver

Cell phones are going to be a problem for us as we travel thru Canada on our way back to the US from Alaska.  Is it possible/practical to buy a track phone for use while we are in Canada?  How good will coverage be if we get one?  June is approaching fast and we are really getting excited about this trip.

Magicman

You could lease a satellite phone if you felt that you were that desperate for phone coverage.  Trac Fone is simply a prepaid cellphone that uses existing towers/service and does not offer any advantage as far as coverage.

Qweaver

We brain stormed our Alaska check list last night. I think I will post it to get your suggestions.  Should I post it as plain text or could I attach the Excel worksheet?  It's quite a long list.  I hope we can fit it all.  The storage area in the extended cab area may be packed.   The test 2 day camping trip next week should tell the tale.

Qweaver

Here is our Check List  BTW, Where do we buy Bear spray and what brand is best?

Tools

Socket Set
Wrench Set
Screw Driver Set
Allen Wrench Set
Plier Set
4 way Lug Wrench
Hyd Jack
Jumper Cables
12v Compressor ?
Duct Tape
Fix a flat
18v Drill & charger
Tire Plug kit
Brake Fluid
Spare fuses
Motor oil
12 v deep C Batt
Camper Things
Blankets
Pillows
Sheets
Towels
Binoculars 2ea
Water Jug
Clothes Pins/ Line
Compass
Coolers  1 lg 1 sm
Lock Box
First Aid kit
Fishing gear
Flash lights
Folding Chairs 2 ea
Folding Table
Knives/ sharpener
Fuel tank
Extension Cord
Matches/ lighter
Tarp
Pepper Spray  3ea
Sleeping bag
Folding Shovel
Pota-Potty
Toilet paper
Cooking Things
Skellet
Pots
Dish Soap
Plates/ cups
Silver ware
Paper Towels
Trash Bags
Snacks/Drinks
Zip Lock Bags
cheese
seasoning
Beans
Picante Sauce
Drier Sheets
Dish Pan
Cutting Board
Chefs Knife
Personal Things
Reading Material
CDs
Ball Caps
Bath Soap
Tooth Paste
Tooth Brushes
Medicine
Bug Spray
Cameras
Cash
Cell Phone\charger
Gloves
Credit Cards
Deodorant
eye glasses / strap
Long Sleeve shirt 2
Antacid
Rain Gear
Sun Block
Cloths Quinton
Medium Jacket
2 Sweat Shirts
7 shorts
7 Tee Shirts
7 socks
3 blue Jeans
Boots 1
Tennis Shoes
Rain Gear

loghorse

toliet paper?, also turn one battery in flashlight around so wont accidentily stay on if gets bumped.if you go by calgary stop at the space needle or tower and ha ve breakfastor a meal.while you are eating you will move complete 360 degrees and see all the way around.extra camera batt. you are in for a blast of fun.

Magicman

Your list looks good.  I do not believe that you will have any problem finding whatever you may not have.  There are Napa and general stores in most of the smaller towns and Wal-Mart in the larger ones.  The general stores are very will stocked because the residents need stuff too.  I would not worry too much about bear spray, but the stores will have it if you think that you need it.

Qweaver

Quote from: Magicman on April 13, 2014, 03:02:42 PM
You could lease a satellite phone if you felt that you were that desperate for phone coverage.  Trac Fone is simply a prepaid cellphone that uses existing towers/service and does not offer any advantage as far as coverage.
Sarah signed us up for a Sprint option today that will allow us to take and make cell calls in Canada for 20 cents a minute.  So problem solved.

scsmith42

Here are some ideas... Spare batteries for all battery items, rechargeable flashlight, army pack shovel, a few MRE's, first aid kit, high lift jack, blocks of wood to go under the hyd jack, cardboard or carpet remnant in case you have to slide under the truck, extra bungee cords, funnel for pouring fuel into your tank, electric tape, paper and pens/pencils, tow straps/chains in case you get stuck, silicone sealer.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sandhills

Just reiterating what scsmith said mostly, highlift jack (very nice to have in a pinch if you would get stuck or if your hydraulic jacks work like mine most of the time  :)) and definitely paper and pens.  My Uncle that took me there had me keep a log on our trip, can't find it right off hand but I could tell you everywhere we went, stopped, fuel mileage/prices, camp grounds we stayed at, people we met along the way etc. etc.  You won't regret writing it all down!  Being me I'd also throw in a gallon of anti freeze and one of water (mainly because I drive junk  :D).  A little different now in the digital age but I believe I took over 300 pictures along the way with my little camera, plan accordingly.  You guys are gonna have a blast and a wonderful trip!

Qweaver

OK!  We are almost completely loaded-up and still have plenty of space left.   I may put the cargo carrier on the front receiver and just carry it folded up just in case we want to buy something to bring home with us. 
I still need to wire the house battery into the battery charger/12v power supply.  There are only a few lights and a fan using 12v so the draw on the battery will be just a few amps,  but I wonder how large a wire I need for charging the battery from the rectifier.
So we hit the local lake campground for two days then we leave for Alaska on the 22nd.   

scsmith42

Most battery isolators that I have seen used either 10 or 8 guage wire.

Qweaver

The 2 day "shake down" cruise ends today and I'm glad we did it.  We learned a lot about living in a really small space.   We have taken long trips in our 25' sailboat but this camper has  only 6' x 8' of main cabin and a queen size sleeping space.   We are going to consider how to reduce things on our list that we can do without.  i.e.  Sarah insists that she needs 3 cooking pots. So she needs to figure out where to store them in already full cabinets. 
It rained non stop for the past 24 hours but dawned clear this AM.  We are going to utilize the front carrier for a lot of the boxed items that are now constantly in the way in the main cabin.  Everything worked as it should but I did not try the furnace yet.  My homemade step are a long reach and I'm going to try and buy a set at the camper dealers that might work better.  We would also like to buy an awning but we have not found one that will fit and the manufacturers are back ordered.   
We have not found "The Next Exit" locally so I am going to mail order it today and hope it gets here by the 22nd.

Gary_C

Electrical wire ties and hose clamps can be real handy for temporary repairs and they don't take up much space. Carry an assortment and you can hook them together for longer needs.

Also a small electrical multimeter and some crimp on wire connectors might be useful.

I've heard the roads can be very dusty. Make sure you have clean air filters and perhaps carry a spare.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Magicman

They have NAPA Stores, etc most everywhere.  Except for road construction the roads are paved.

The Milepost will be your traveling companion.  It may be confusing when two roads combine together.  You may be traveling on the "smaller" road and then the larger road's name will take over.  You may get confused, but the book is right.  Trust it.

AK Newbie

Qweaver the drive up the Alcan is spectacular!  Take lots of pictures!  So far we are having a very warm and sunny spring!  Usually when it's this warm the forest fires start and visibility and air quality are impacted.  Let's hope that doesn't happen this year.  Like Lynn mentioned there are plenty of stores throughout the route that carry pretty much anything you might need.  Anchorage even has a new Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop!  I also recommend the Milepost it is invaluable for a trip up the Alcan.  If you don't have time to order don't worry it will be available along the way.  When you get to Anchorage give me a call I would love to meet a fellow Forestry Forum member!  I'll PM you my number.  This will be a trip of a life time, have a safe and enjoyable trip!
Kevin
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Qweaver

Thanks Kevin, we are chomping at the bit to get on our way.

scsmith42

Quinton, I hope that you and Sarah have a blessed trip!

Qweaver

Another fly in the ointment.  Sarah passed out as she was helping me today.  Fell thru the door hitting her head as she fell.  She is now sporting a black swollen eye.  She had a fast irregular pulse for a little bit and then it returned to normal after about 15 minutes on the couch.  She had this happen several years ago,  spent a day in the hospital with no real explanation by the doctor.  We'll go see the Doc tomorrow but I don't want to take any chances.

Magicman

Of course your first priority is Sarah. 

thecfarm

Qweaver

We are back from the doctors office and just like 5 years ago no real cause found.   Maybe dehydration. So we are going to leave as planned.  Blood work results due tomorrow but I'm betting nothing to show.   Sarah vows to wear her shades for awhile.  :D 

WmFritz

Quote from: Qweaver on May 20, 2014, 03:42:03 PM
We are back from the doctors office and just like 5 years ago no real cause found.   Maybe dehydration. So we are going to leave as planned.  Blood work results due tomorrow but I'm betting nothing to show.   Sarah vows to wear her shades for awhile.  :D

Sometimes prepping for a vacation can just plum wear a person out.  :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Thanks for the update on Sarah's condition and hopefully your departure will not be delayed.

thecfarm

scsmith42

Quote from: Magicman on May 20, 2014, 08:43:15 PM
Thanks for the update on Sarah's condition and hopefully your departure will not be delayed.

+1.

Enjoy your trip!

Qweaver

OK, all of the P&P&P (planning, packing and prep) is done  and tomorrow is D day (depart day).  Thanks go out for all of the help and suggestions from FF members.  I feel really good about the rig that we are traveling with and hope for a problem free trip. 
Gonna set by a camp fire in our picnic shelter this evening and soak up a few cold ones in celebration of the job done and fun to be had.  If I took everything that Sarah wanted to take I'd have to hook a trailer on for the overflow. We pared down the list and I think we'll be fine.

Quinton

WmFritz

What a GREAT looking photograph.  8)

Don't forget your camera...
I'm looking forward to riding along on your trip this summer.  :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ppine

It is not that safe to carry a bunch of exposed fuel cans. Consider an auxillary tank.  The road is paved now and fuel stations are rarely more than 100 miles apart. I have flown to Anchorage and rented a truck and camper to travel to the Interior but never driven up there. I have taken the ferry to Haines and driven to the Kenai which is about 500 miles.  Alaska is a wonderful place. You are going to have a good time. It is really far away and hard to get to. I have flown up there more than 10 times.
Forester

sawguy21

Uh, this thread is over two years old. :D

ppine

Plenty of people talk about driving to Alaska. It is still good information.
Forester

starmac

I have driven to Alaska and back somewhere around 50 times, the latest just a couple of months ago. I have been over every route possible except the top of the world highway (hopefully some day). My last trip was just a couple of months ago in a pickup pulling a travel trailer that required fueling every 2 to 250 miles, no problem getting fuel, but at times if you have to fuel that often you will have to pay some higher than normal prices.
As far as tire trouble, I have only had to change a tire twice, both of these were on a trailer and no fault of the road. These days it is just a road folks, a little narrower than many places, much less traffic than most are used to, but still just a road expect the same problems as anywhere.  The biggest concentrations of frost heaves will be once you pass kluane lake in the Yukon till a few miles before you get to beaver creek about a 100 mile  stretch.  Then once you hit the Alaska line there can be frost heaves most anywhere, but Canada and Alaska is fairly good at marking them, usually with a stake flagged in red, or anything red or orange. Pretty much all of it is paved these days, except for summer time construction zones, even the cassier these days is paved even now has 2 lane bridges, yellow lines, marked curves and guard rails, not anything like it was even 10 years ago.
Anyone driving up, take your time, bring plenty of film or memory card and enjoy the trip and beautiful scenery.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ppine

Thanks to Starmac for a good post.
My 85 yo aunt used to live on the Kenai for years. She came outside years ago to live in Anacortes, WA. Last summer she decided to drive up to AK to see old friends in her 1995 Crown Victoria. She had no problems and sent me plenty of photos. If she can do it anyone can.
Forester

sawguy21

Don't tell her she can't do something. :o

Thank You Sponsors!