iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw chain

Started by coxy, February 17, 2014, 08:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

got a stihl saw chain today to see if there is a difference in them to others  and should I use a stihl file or any file

beenthere

Any file that fits the chain.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Actually Stihl recommends a file that is slightly smaller.  The first sharpening with a "standard" size file will take care of that.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

:D Oh that's just Stihl being Stihl .They can't help themselves .

JohnG28

There are other brands selling 13/64" than Stihl now, think it was Pfred. Saw them on Baileys other day. That is assuming this is a 3/8" chain that would call for 13/64. I like them better than a 7/32" file.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

clww

You're correct about the brand of Pfred, in the last Bailey's mailer I got. All we use are the 13/64" files on the 3/8 chain, which is what Stihl recommends.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HiTech

I like Total 7/32" files. Can't always get them. When I can't any 7/32" will do. I have seen guys use 13/64" files on 3/8" chain and it looks like they hollow the tooth out. Doesn't look like they get the tip edge of the tooth. Maybe they didn't know how to file either...who knows. I am a firm believer, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and then there are those who say, "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is". lol

JohnG28

I have used 7/32" and 13/64" on a standard 3/8" chain and find that the 13/64" gives a better edge.  Just me, others may differ.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

If you keep the file at the correct height, a 13/64 file will give you a faster cutting chain, as the tooth will have more hook. However some say the chain will also dull slightly faster, I haven't experienced this. In fact Stihl chain seems to last's longer no matter what I do. I will also note that using a 7/32 file on a new Stihl RS chain is not all that easy, as the 7/32 file is a little larger and doesn't fit the tooth all that well the first few sharpening. 13/64 is the way to go with 3/8 chain IMHO. For general cutting I really don't care to run anything other than Stihl chain, but I mostly cut dry dead hard wood.     
Andre.

coxy

well put the new chain on cut a little faster then some others    then hit a rock >:( filed it out was cutting good then got in to some wire fence  >:( >:(  filed that out and it really cuts good know ;D    I did see that the stihl tooth needs to be filed on more of a slant then the others

lumberjack48

I used nothing but a 5/32 file on a 3/8 chain.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sawguy21

You need to keep a 5/32 file high in the gullet to avoid excessive hook. At least you are not hitting the presets or tie straps. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lumberjack48

Keep your cutter standing straight up and down, you don't want a dray runner and you absolutely don't want to much hook. I wanted a razor sharp saw that cut at competition speed and easy to keep that way all day long.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on February 18, 2014, 09:49:44 AM
There are other brands selling 13/64" than Stihl now, think it was Pfred. Saw them on Baileys other day. That is assuming this is a 3/8" chain that would call for 13/64. I like them better than a 7/32" file.

Yes, 7/32" give me less hook than I really like (and less than the chain is designed for).   :)
Information collector.

JohnG28

It definitely gives less hook. It also just doesn't "feel" right for me with a 7/32 but 13/64 does. And half my chains are Stihl so like Andy said, a 7/32 just doesn't fit it quite right.

HolmenTree

When 3/8 or .404 cutters are new a 7/32" file fits perfect but when I file the cutters down about 2/3rds I switch to the 13/64"file.
Stihl used to recommend 7/32" on their chains but with the repeated complaints that their chain was hard to file due to thickness and hardness of the cutter's material, they switched the specs to the smaller 13/64" file to help ease things up a little. ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!