iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar bolt hole stripped out on 044,what's the easiest fix?

Started by charleswalton, February 18, 2014, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charleswalton

I bought another 044 on ebay,runs good but the chain kept getting too tight when I would make a few cuts,then today the front stud came out with the clutch cover and it looked like someone had stripped the threads in the saw.

Al_Smith

If I'm not mistaken Stihl at one time sold repair studs which are over sized on the saw side .

If you have a "good" dealer they might be able to order them .M10 on one side and M8 on the other .

charleswalton

I'll try the local dealer but they will probably want to sell me a new case.

Al_Smith

I just found one on flea bay but it was listed for another model .

One thing about Stihl dealers ,if one won't order the parts down the road a few miles is one that will .Fact I have one 3 miles away I'll never grace his door step again . In the morning I'll drive 15 miles to one whose holding a part for me .

I'm old enough and grumpy enough I don't fool with them .They serve the Stihl corperation and me the customer .I don't serve them .

charleswalton

I saw those on flebay too,I have too dealers in my area one of them is better than the other but they both seem to want to always do things the most expensive way.I have to save everyway that I can so I'm trying to learn how to do my own repairs and usually buy everything on line,Thanks for the tip.

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

charleswalton

Al_Smith

Helicoils work on some things good ,on others not so good .A regular insert like a "timezert " brand insert would probabley serve better .

charleswalton

My concern was being able to drill it and tap it straight.

Al_Smith

Well then if you don't have a drill press or a milling machine it might be best to farm it out .

charleswalton

Do you think I could tap the 8mm hole to a 10 without drilling it any larger?I know it will be hard to tap that much but I thought if I could find one of those 10x8 studs I could give that a try.

GAB

Mr. Walton:
Not knowing how much metal has been removed this may be wrong so proceed cautiously.  I suggest that you run the tap drill for the 10MM insert before you put a 10MM tap into the hole.  Also you may need to use a bottoming drill and tap to get an insert in the proper depth.  I used inserts once on a dozer for stripped threads and it worked great.  According to some experts the larger diameter insert will make it stronger than it originally was, but that may depend on how much metal damage occured.  Good luck and take your time.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

isawlogs

I would try and find a local machinist with a small shop that can do the drillin' and the taping. It should not cost a whole bunch to have done.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Al_Smith

Well now before you go hog wild I've thought about this delemma a bit .If the threads aren't pulled you might be able to clean the hole and the stud with acetone and red loctite it in .

If not the bar stud from an 056 is the ticket .M10 1.5 threads inward and M8 threads outward Stihl part number 111-664-2405 .Thread hole size M 8.5

ely

I would encourage you to fix it yourself, you will very happy when you complete the job. the way I look at stuff is, its already messed up so no big deal, most machine shops are used to getting jobs after they have been FIXED a few times anyway.

charleswalton

Thanks to everyone for your input,I'll be trying some at least one of these DIY ideas and let yall know how it turns out.

joe_indi

I just checked the parts catalog the 056 10x8 stud is #1115 664 2405.
To convert the 10mm side into a tap use a small grinder with a thin composite wheel to taper the tip to 8mm. Then cut 4 straight grooves  across 25% of the threads. Use 2 nuts on the 8mm side to lock each other.
Initially its a good idea to use a small hammer to tap the stud while you turn it in, something like a jackhammer. Once you have the grooved are inside, you can stop the tapping.

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

joe_indi

More like a miniature jack hammer. Not like this little guy >>  smiley_smash
Very small taps

sawn4fun

I've done quite a few repairs with helicoils. It's important to use care while drilling & tapping but it's not very difficult because you're not going that deep. Use a little red Loctite on the insert, carefully thread it in, and the result is stronger threads than original because you now have steel ones instead of cast iron, pot metal, aluminum, etc. The initial kit will run you a few bucks, but once you have it, all you need to replace is the inserts after you use them up. They will even work in plastic if you have enough material around the hole. If you look in some of the larger supply catalogues, such as Grainger and Lawson, you will find other types of inserts that may work better for a specific purpose.

Al_Smith

They make inserts for wood,plastics of course metal .You just have to get the right one for the application .

Most of the repars I've done are M5 screws that get the treads pulled .Simple,an M5  stripped hole is real easy to spiral point tap an M6 by 1 .Drill the mating hole out to clearance for M6 and call it a day .

Paul_H

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 18, 2014, 08:24:50 PM
They serve the Stihl corperation and me the customer .I don't serve them .

A dealer needs a good solid supplier behind them to help them serve their customers.There needs to be mutual trust and respect between all parties.Maybe the one dealer showed a lack of respect toward you and the other didn't or it may of been you doing the disrespecting and the one dealer has a higher tolerance of difficult people than the other.
We all get tired and cranky at times. :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Al_Smith

Well Paul actually the guy tried to put the screws to me if you want the true low down .I didn't get smart with him I just left, simple as that .

Now maybe if I'd have trotted in in a 3 piece business suit instead of old greasey blue jeans and a teeshirt he would have shown me more respect .I'll never know though .

FWIW though I recently made a trip for parts 15 miles to the dealer who never tried to treat me like an idiot .

I just call them as I see them,terse perhaps but to the point .Makes me no diff if it's a Stihl dealer,lawyer,banker or the kid next door . ;)

Paul_H

I would guess that you as well as the two dealers are very pleased with your decision.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Al_Smith

Based on your assumption I would tend to agree with you . ;)

Thank You Sponsors!