The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: who's ready to make some maple syrup?  (Read 11327 times)

Offline bill m

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: who's ready to make some maple syrup?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 10:19:18 PM »
I'm still working on the addition (14 x 32) to my sugarhouse. Hope to get the wiring done by the end of next week, install the new RO machine, set up the evaporator in its new room and then set up all the equipment in the filtering/packaging room. The roofing will be the week after that. Then I can start to set taps.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
John, your rig reminds me of the first rig I was around!  Nastalgia!  :)

Right out in the open, setting on cinder blocks and ours was chinked in with mud!

Didn't make a lot of syrup (of course I was only about 12) but we made enough for our family!

Some different now adays!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline ryguy777

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
well tomorrow and today ive gotta go into full gear and get ready or else it prolly wont happen haha, right now im about to go clean up a pile of barn boards my neighbor ripped off his barn (was caving in he made a smaller garage out of it) and get the buckets all ready to go

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »
After reading this topic I decided that I would give making maple syrup a try this year. I have a dozen maples around 18"-20" diameter in my yard and went to Tractor Supply this morning and purchased 6 spiles & hooks. I figured 6 would be a good starting quantity as from what they told me I should get 5-10 gallons of sap from each tap so I am hoping to wind up with a gallon of syrup after boiling. My question is how do you know when to insert the taps in the trees? Plus I plan on using empty 1 gallon Ice Tea containers to collect the sap to get started and was wondering how often would they need to be changed? Do you get 1 gallon a day or 1 gallon a week?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a Logrite cant hook.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »
Takes around 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup!

Sugar maples are sweeter than Soft Maple too!
~Chuck~
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 07:49:49 PM »
21incher:
If you are using the taps that require a 1/4" tap drill and the trees are 18" in diameter then I would not be afraid of putting in 3 taps per tree.  If you are using the old style taps that require a 7/16" drill then stop at 2 per tree.   
One evening I emptied my buckets around 6:00PM and at approx. 6:00 AM the next morning I had some 15 quart buckets that were overflowing.  That was a good sap run.
The sugar content of the sap will determine the number of gallons of sap necessary to make a gallon of syrup.  For example the sap hydrometer on 2/20 read 3.0 or less than 29 gallons of sap per gallon of syrup.  On 2/22 the sap from the same trees tested only 2.45 which equates to over 35 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline 5quarter

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Blue Harbor Refinishing
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »
Allan...I made A pint of boxelder syrup two years ago. I didn't count, but figured I got around 12 gallons of sap. Not much syrup for the effort, but it sure was tasty! BTW...don't mix maple and boxelder. they both taste like maple syrup, but the boxelder syrup is distinctly different.

JohnM...That's a nice little setup you have there. I might try that out this year.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Offline Don_Papenburg

• Senior Member x2
  • I need money
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 08:24:35 PM »
21incher, You will have to keep an eye on the tea bottles one gallon might have you dumping three or four times a day . cooler nights with warmer days will fill them jugs faster than cooler days. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Offline SPIKER

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 02:18:52 AM »
If I had time I would be making some this year but alas no time with school and working full time.

Some photos in my gallery on my setup

I dont have the chimney on mine & do get a bit of smoky flavor on some occasionally.    Really makes it good too. 8) 8)
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Offline justallan1

• Senior Member x2
  • living and learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 07:39:02 AM »
Thanks 5quarter.
I'd mentioned it to a vet that I know and he must be getting cabin fever too because he wants to try it. (or his wife is ready for him to be out of the house) This guy has 1 leg, is on oxygen, generally needs a haircut and has a beard about halfway to his belt. I'm thinking I'll get a picture of him cooking it off and make wanted posters for having a still. ;D
Can I just use a 3/8x4" plastic or steel pipe nipple for the taps? I'm figuring on doing that and plastic tubing going into sealed buckets.
Can you let it cool at night or do you need to finish it once you get started? Thanks

Allan

Offline BBTom

• Retired, If building a new homestead is retired.
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »
The actual spouts or spiles are tapered so they seal the tree.  you might be able to make 3/8 pipe work. 

If anyone wants some "tree saver" plastic spouts ( the ones that use a 5/16" hole ).  I have several hundred of them that I am no longer using.   If I get $10 to cover the cost of shipping and something left for the forum, I will send whatever I can get into a small flat rate box to you.  Can only do domestic US in that offer, usps wants to much to send to anyplace else.  I will put this in the commerce section too.

Good luck on your season,  My season is normally half over by now, and I won't see above freezing till the end of the week.  It looks like a very short season this year. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 10:04:22 AM »
21incher:
If you are using the taps that require a 1/4" tap drill and the trees are 18" in diameter then I would not be afraid of putting in 3 taps per tree.  If you are using the old style taps that require a 7/16" drill then stop at 2 per tree.   
One evening I emptied my buckets around 6:00PM and at approx. 6:00 AM the next morning I had some 15 quart buckets that were overflowing.  That was a good sap run.
The sugar content of the sap will determine the number of gallons of sap necessary to make a gallon of syrup.  For example the sap hydrometer on 2/20 read 3.0 or less than 29 gallons of sap per gallon of syrup.  On 2/22 the sap from the same trees tested only 2.45 which equates to over 35 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup.  Gerald
I got the 7/16 inch taps. I figured I would just go with 1 per tree so I don't hurt the trees.
I thought the sap would be spread over a month so I better keep a eye on it.
I guess I had better buy a hydrometer to give me a idea of my starting point.
I plan on using 2 of the turkey fryers to cook it down and they only hold about 5 gallons each and from what I have read they should be able to evaporate about a gallon of water a hour each so I am hoping this will keep up with 6 taps.
Thanks Ed.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a Logrite cant hook.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »
Only 24 here now, so the sap won't run today!
~Chuck~

Offline OH Boy

• Maybe I'm too old to start doing this!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 08:20:44 PM »
21 incher - One tap on 18" trees is correct. Generally don't do two until about a 24 in tree. I started and probably many others with the turkey fryer, and I still finish batches with it, but have also grown to 180 taps and a 2x8 pans set, so watch out, it's very addictive. at 1 gal/hr, which sounds right for that surface area,you will average about 15-18 gallons per tank of gas at about 23 bucks a can. You may also have days where you get that 6 gallons or more off of 18 in trees.  If you have time to feed a fire with split wood, look at some of these pics of the cement block arches and a steam pan. more surface area will let you boil 2-3 gallons/hr. It does take the effort though because you have to keep the constant flame on the pan. Good luck with it, our weather hasn't cooperated yet, just a few days of decent runs, March should get better.

Also you can do a hydrometer and should if you're going to get hooked, which you will. but you can also get pretty close to syrup when it starts to boil and rise up the sides like boiling milk. watch closely for that. generally it's close when you get that density.

Offline OH Boy

• Maybe I'm too old to start doing this!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »
OH- BTW- we are ready and finishing a batch as I type. Started about 6 yrs ago and it just keeps growing. Up to 180 taps on tubing on our steep hills, and just waiting on this stupid cold winter to break into reals sugarin weather. Made 22 gallons last year and hoping this year goes better.

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 06:46:28 AM »
The way this weather is this so called spring we may have a very small window to collect sap ,I look for it to go from winter to summer over night and by the way it can happen any time for me.
Bill

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 05:52:29 PM »
We will put 2 taps on an 18 inch tree and 3 on a 24 inch tree.

We have 2 trees that it takes 2 of us to reach around and still lacks about 16 inch, and those 2 get 6 taps.
~Chuck~

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »
21incher wrote: "I guess I had better buy a hydrometer to give me a idea of my starting point."
In case you do not know, or are not aware of it, there are hydrometers for sap and there are hydrometers for syrup.
Yes they are made of glass and are very fragile.
The tall sap hydrometers are the most accurate and most expensive.  Enjoy, Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for all the pointers. If only it would warm up so I can get started.

Offline JohnM

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes its best to punt and play field position
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 07:36:26 PM »
Going to try and find an old 55 gal drum and try for a 'quick' upgrade...
Met some new friends/neighbors last week, the husband thought he could get me a steel drum.  Took the dog out this morning and there was steel and a plastic drum beside my garage! 8)  Got started on it this afternoon. ;D :)

Hoping to have it operational by the weekend. ;D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Getting ready to make some slabs (pictures)

Started by Troy on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2006, 07:18:15 AM
by Dana
xx
Maple Syrup....

Started by Mr Mom on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

15 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 02:26:53 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Maple Syrup