iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 357XP power

Started by KWood255, March 02, 2014, 03:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWood255

Hello, I have a Husqvarna 357xp which I have had for several years. I am looking to get some more power out of it, as it is really struggling with green birch and poplar. Anybody have any suggestions to increase performance on this saw?  Thanks for your time.

sawguy21

The 357xp is a hot rod stock, it should be able to handle anything you throw at it. Make sure the spark arrestor is not plugged with carbon, remove the muffler and check the piston and cylinder for scoring/galling. Try richening the hi speed, you may have to remove the limiter cap.
Check your chain. Excessive hook from using a small file or filing too low in the gullet will cause it to grab rather than slice cleanly.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ladylake

Sawguy has it covered real good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

KWood255

Thanks fellas. I will give it a try. It seems lazy compared to my 15 year old 266xp so hopefully I can get some improvement.

old guy

Yeah, my 357 would not be slowed down by birch or pople, it is a screamer.
  If these trees are not larger than 20" I like to use a strong 40cc or 46cc with 16" bars.

John

KWood255

Currently she is struggling with 12" birch. I am running an 18" bar with Oregon chain. Headed to the woodpile in the morning to give it another try. Thanks again. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced chain grinder?  I want to eliminate a poor chain before I get too discouraged.

old guy

That's what I have on mine with 3/8 pitch chain.
  I have hand filed all my life so can't recommend a grinder, I kinda like the roller file guide you can get from the husky dealer.  The quickest way would be to buy a new chain and see if that's the problem you'll need one someday anyway and then sharpen your old one to look like the new one, and don't forget to cut the rakers down.

KWood255

Thanks again. I have the roller guide and seem to have decent results in the past. I can never get them as good as a new chain, and usually burn through 2 chains a season. Looking forward to trying the above.

JT78

If you are not satisfied after trying the above suggestions just send it to me is love to give a 357 a new home LOL. There are other things that can be done but check the list above first if ur still not happy then I would suggest an overhaul new ring carb rebuild and some port work and retune its a big difference.

celliott

Quote from: KWood255 on March 02, 2014, 08:01:05 PM
Thanks again. I have the roller guide and seem to have decent results in the past. I can never get them as good as a new chain, and usually burn through 2 chains a season. Looking forward to trying the above.

Alot of guys can get a hand filed chain to cut better than a new chain. I know people who file new chains before they use them.
Don't know if you do this already or not, but try clamping the bar in a vise, and really pay attention to your angles.
Also make sure you bring the depth gauges (rakers) down.
Clamping the bar in a vise really helped me when I was learning to hand file.

But yeah, if it's not a sharp chain issue, check compression, muffler screen, etc. like others have said.
A 357XP should satisfy most people speedwise cutting 12" wood. And fairly soft wood at that, birch and poplar aren't like oak and maple!
I got a 357XP and I like it alot  :) good saw.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Andyshine77

Are you pushing on the saw? or letting it self feed?
Andre.

Oliver1655

Not to over look the obvious, is the air filter clean?
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

SlimJim

Does your 357 still have the Walbro HDA-199 carb? If so, I know these are a problem and that Husqvarna issued a bulletin to swap the carb and carb mounting flange for a new ZAMA carb, that usually solves the acceleration and loss of power problems. Just something to check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtvTOgOZEzw

sharkey

It sounds like the ol' 357 needs rebuilt.  Freshen it up, change out the wear parts.  If you want to soup it up, put a 272 top end on.  Stroke is the same, just need a little fit up work here and there. 

Thank You Sponsors!