iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help identifying old wood from barn

Started by antiquewood79, March 04, 2014, 12:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antiquewood79

Hello, I am new to this forum but am hoping someone can help me. 
My husband and I dismantled a very old timber frame barn a couple of years ago and stacked in the loft was a big pile of tongue and groove wood.  It is about 1 1/2" thick.  We have been trying to determine what type of wood it is.  We are thinking some type of pine or possibly cypress.  We are building a house and might be able to use it somewhere along the way but don't know what it is.  I hope someone can help!  Thanks in advance, below are a few pictures of a sawn off piece.

Dodgy Loner

It is definitely a softwood of some sort. Please tell us your location, it will help narrow down the list of suspects.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, antiquewood79.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Antiquewood79.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Looks a lot like redwood.  Could also be douglas fir.  I suspect that it is one of those two. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Looks a bit hemlockish to me. How's that for a technical description? ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Dave,I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm not too good of a teller of wood,and let others that know more than me to the telling.   ;D  Than they will be from some state that hemlock does not even grow there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shelbycharger400

Im not shure what it is, but judging by the tung how its perfectly round, tells me that that flooring material is definately way newer than the barn. You can tell it was machined not hand plained, and edges eased or radiused , no one is going to hand sand a radius edge that was on the bottom  So, 1940s-1950's or newer im guessing.   The 1960s flooring i have here has mill maker stamps and reliefs cut in back.  Some more photos, and a location will help, pieces with noticeable defects sometimes help too. Other things help are photos of reactions to metal nails ect.   Id try to push a 16 penny nail or so in by hand using fingers, that will dent it if its softwood, i dont care how old it is.      some of the older group will chime in, but id call 1 1/2 thick  t+ g carsiding (think rail car).  Ive heard of it where they bought old rail cars and reused materials.

WDH

Could easily be hemlock.  Redwood and hemlock and the true firs do not have resin canals.  Douglas fir does have them.  Looking at a clean razor-knife slice of the end grain with a hand lens or magnifying glass will reveal the presence or absence of resin canals, and that will narrow the field of possibilities. 

If you can take a close-up picture of that clean slice of the end grain, that will help a great deal in identifying your wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

looks alot like redwood, if it was fir wouldn't the growth rings be alittle further apart?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!