The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Raising firewood price!!  (Read 7324 times)

Offline treechopper40

• Full Member x2
  • cut it skid it load it truck it
    • Share Post
Re: Raising firewood price!!
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 07:30:39 AM »
firewood is 98% of my business I sell around 1500 face cord a year I get $60 a face cord cut split and delivered ive been in business just over 5 yrs I don't advertise anymore and turn customers away now I can load my truck 7 days a week 365 days a yr and I only sell green wood the firewood market around here is crazy a lot of the processor guys that buy ther wood log length cant get wood now cause all the big jobbers are chipping it or sending it for pulp now that pulp prices are back up I would never buy a processor without a skidder to feed it with that leaves you at the mercy of the loggers to be successful you cant count or depend on other people that's what ive learned in the past
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

Offline Brokermike

• Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »
There is a place by Houghton Lake that has split firewood in 10 yard (1/3 cord) for a truck load it is 585.00 delivered and there are 10 cord in the truck. The wood is all oak and looks to be seasoned. My neighbor just bought a load from him. He has a large wood peocessor some where in that area. There are a lot of people out of work in this area and I was talking to one the other day and he has maple and birch and he is selling it for 50.00 a 1/3 cord cut split and delivered local and stacked. He owns his own woods. I am thinking about having him cut mine next year using my wood. I will be able to help some but I am having heart surgey and don't know how much I will be able to do this spring

How can you fit 10 cord split in a truck??? Am I reading this wrong, are they face cords
Don't Jersey Vermont

Offline Ivan49

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
There is a place by Houghton Lake that has split firewood in 10 yard (1/3 cord) for a truck load it is 585.00 delivered and there are 10 cord in the truck. The wood is all oak and looks to be seasoned. My neighbor just bought a load from him. He has a large wood peocessor some where in that area. There are a lot of people out of work in this area and I was talking to one the other day and he has maple and birch and he is selling it for 50.00 a 1/3 cord cut split and delivered local and stacked. He owns his own woods. I am thinking about having him cut mine next year using my wood. I will be able to help some but I am having heart surgey and don't know how much I will be able to do this spring

How can you fit 10 cord split in a truck??? Am I reading this wrong, are they face cords

I should have been more clear I guess, these are face cords that is why I gave the cord size at the start

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 11:08:34 PM »
Here the price per cord, delivered, rises in the winter to 80 if you take a few but 90 if you only want one and that is green. Not sure if anyone local has any dry left, it's been a cold long winter. My advice is to raise your price whatever amount you need to make the money you want out of it and let the volume sort itself out. If you lose too much business get out of it but at least until you do  you will be making money on what you sell. Lots of success is marketing, explain that the product is good, you back it and expect to be in business for the long term and people will pay more. If they complain too much or only want the cheapest product then you don't want them for customers anyway. You should also look into value added, maybe bagged or bundled wood for stores. Lots of guys competing for the smaller bulk market, not so many in bundled.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:54 AM »
There's some upset firewood consumers in this part of the country because of what they see as price gouging by firewood sellers.  What's normally 60-65 dollars a face cord is now 80 to as much as a 100 for seasoned.  Glad I'm only in the green market and I've bumped it to 60 for a local sale, 65 to surrounding areas.  No ones complaining about that.  To my face anyway  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Ivan49

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 09:50:05 AM »
There's some upset firewood consumers in this part of the country because of what they see as price gouging by firewood sellers.  What's normally 60-65 dollars a face cord is now 80 to as much as a 100 for seasoned.  Glad I'm only in the green market and I've bumped it to 60 for a local sale, 65 to surrounding areas.  No ones complaining about that.  To my face anyway  :)

What you raised your price to does not sound out of line. People have to remember that it is hard cold work if you have to cut wood this time of year. I have a lot cut down and stacked in the woods but cannot get to it because of the 2-3 foot of snow. With the big warm up coming I will the snow blower on the back of the tractor and make short work of the trail back to it

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 12:55:06 PM »
When thy say 125 a hull cord is to much I tell them you can all ways spend 2 or3000 dollars for a good saw and splitter and cut your own then thy pay the  $125
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline sweetjetskier

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
On the CT shoreline we get $250 - $275 for one cord (128 cu ft) delivered and dumped.

Mix of red,white oak, hickory, beech, ash, birch, cherry and maple.

There are many who sell for much less $$, but they are generally only around for a season or two.
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Offline 36 coupe

• Share Post
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2014, 06:20:29 AM »
I'm in northern michigan and I just got my books ready for taxes. And ding ding hardly no profits! At least not enough to speak of. About 70% of the income was spent in fuel and wood. I'm thinking of raising my prices for this season. I'd rather sell less and make just as much if they don't all pay the higher price or would I be a greedy business man for doing so?
You have 2 choices.Raise your price or quit selling firewood.Firewood is hard nasty work.You deserve a reasonable return for your labor.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Price for seasoned firewood.

Started by BargeMonkey on Forestry and Logging

63 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 07:59:10 AM
by Corley5
xx
Tree length firewood price

Started by DLMaine01 on Firewood and Wood Heating

57 Replies
Last post February 22, 2012, 03:05:42 AM
by MHineman
grin
PALAX KS35s Firewood processor NEW PRICE!

Started by Louis on For Sale

0 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 04:00:56 PM
by Louis
xx
cost vs. price of tree-length firewood

Started by Engineer on Forestry and Logging

16 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 10:39:00 PM
by rocksnstumps