iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Birch

Started by Quebecnewf, March 11, 2014, 08:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Here is a pic of a big (for me) birch we hauled home to the mill on Sunday.
This is the bigger of 2 nine ft logs we took from one tree. This on was 19" at the top end.
We went 30 klm one way for this trip. .
Cut it on top of the river bank . Hauled the sled up the bank with the winch. Rolled the log onto the sled then slacked it carefully down over the bank onto the river. Hooked up the Yamaha VK540 and headed for home.
Took most of the day but was a lot of fun.
Great winter so far. Lots of snow and cold
Quebecnewf

thecfarm

That looks good. My Father and me had some big white birch here. But that stuff was old. The heart was red and big too. But it was solid. We sold 3-4 loads of it and the mill called my Father and wanted more. Was only suppose to be less than a 3rd red heart,the stuff we sold them had way more than that. They must of liked it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

deerguy

Hey Quebecnewf, we modified a version of your sleigh to haul big logs from dry standing pine. better known as chico or chicot here in Northern Ontario....
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

deerguy

But my attempts to transfer pic's from file is not working.....sorry!!

Quebecnewf

too bad I would like to see a pic. I make and sell the sled you see.
With regard to the white birch. According to what I can find out we have Paper Birch in this area . I am told it is the same thing as White birch. I had some Yellow kiln dried birch boards come for a customer of mine for a kitchen cabinet project he was doing. He also purchased some of my kiln dried (paper/white birch). You could not tell the lumber apart.

I know our birch does not look like white birch i see in Montreal and Quebec. It also does not look like the yellow birch trees I see in that region. I am thinking we have a cross between the two. but what do I know.

Quebecnewf

deerguy

so can anyone help walk me throught he process of transferring a pic fom my computer to here ?? I'm outa ideas...

Dave Shepard

Paper and white are the same thing, betula papyrifera.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

I think this should be the current tutorial for pic posting.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

That's a nice birch! White birch seems to take just the right conditions to get large. The shore of Lake Superior grows some dandy specimens, it's a microclimate moderated by the lake with cooler temps in the summer and the right amount of humidity.
Too many irons in the fire

deerguy

Thanks Dave, I've tried it a few times and cant get it to work. reminds me of when I loaded skidder pic's a few years ago...lol. Still not sure what I did to make those appear.....

deerguy

If anyone is interested I'll email hem the pic and they can post it so Quebecnewf can see what I'm talking about. Would like his expert opinion....simply send me email address....deerguy123@hotmail.com

SwampDonkey

Up here we sell lots of birch veneer with large dark heart, they don't care. But rock maple they want tiny heart, no more than 20 %, behaves different than birch.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

deerguy, did you manage to get the pictures into your album? That's the first step.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

deerguy

sprucebunny

A beautiful log QN ! Glad you are having a good winter this year.

I've noticed that white birch can vary quite a bit. Some have tight, smooth bark with very few if any peeling off and some have all sorts of shreds of bark hanging off them. I was starting to wonder if there was a sub-species or something.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Quebecnewf

Deerguy

I believe your using a VK to tow that sled. That is the same machine I use. Going to pick up a new VK Professional in the next day or so. Do you have any other pics of you hauling setup?

Sprucebunny.

I have been saying that for many years that on The Lower North Shore we have a subspecies of birch. Kind of a cross between Paper/White and Yellow.
How could one prove this??

Quebecnewf

Some pics of our birch

Stephen1

I notice quite a whack of logs out behind you in the picture. Are you working alone?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

thecfarm

That Ice Road treating you good this year? Been plenty cold here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Sprucebunney, you have a lot of gray birch on your land since it is wet, but also white mixed in. The gray does not peel off in the wind. It is considered a weed species and not much more than a large shrub the size of pin cherry. Often both take over a harvested site and you have nothing much for commercial trees growing sometimes. Seeds very thick sometimes. Has a single catkin. Short lived. White birch lives much longer and it actually goes platy like yellow birch when it gets up around 25"+ inches. It can grow quite big in girth, but not quite double that. Quebecnewf, you only have white birch up there. Some yellow on Newfoundland. Out west there is a subspecies called Alaskan birch, but some don't make that distinction. Some just call it all white birch out there. Bandmill bandit has found some peculiar white birch that don't fit the norm. Around here, some think gray and white cross, but I don't know. Usually if your into gray birch you can tell, or I can. On crown we get a lot of wet areas to thin and it's gray birch in there.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Quebecnewf

Stephen1
We work as a team me and the missus. Those logs in the background are one half of our harvest for this year the other half is piled near to where I cut next to the shoreline I will raft them home in the spring.
We have had a good winter this year lots of cold and snow.
Quebecnewf

JohnM

Q is this firewood or saw logs?  Both?  I'm always impressed with the way you do things up there, keep up the good work and pics! ;) :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

mesquite buckeye

Now I see why they call it the Great White North. ;D When I saw the first picture I thought you were at the North Pole. Just logs and a vast expanse of white. Couldn't figure out where the logs came from. ;D

Super nice logs, but I think I'll stay warm. ;D 8) 8) 8)

Gonna post us pics when they get cut up? ???
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

So what your saying here mesquite buckeye is we won't find you climbing ice mountains on Baffin Island? ;D

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on March 14, 2014, 11:52:02 PM
Couldn't figure out where the logs came from. ;D

Me neither when I saw cacti and sand. ;D

thecfarm

mesquite buckeye,you should go back and read some of his threads  ;)  He works hard to make a dollar. My hat is off to him. He logs a whole diffeant way than I have ever been around.

mesquite buckeye

Man, too cold for me. That is why I left Minnesota. They say 40 below keeps the rifraf out. I guess that would be me. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!