iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well here we go...

Started by thechknhwk, March 24, 2014, 10:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

I think my house is sold, so here we go...

I'm doing a 36x72 timber framed gable barn with 1/2 will be my mechanic shop which will double as temporary living quarters while we design our "forever" house which will be a similarly shaped frame.  The other half will house my wood shop.  The front will feature a shed dormer spanning two 12' bays, and the rear will have a full length lean-too to house the mill and maybe a kiln in the future.  I'll be doing plate joinery in the name of simplicity and timeliness.  Perhaps I will move on to real joinery in the house frame.  I hope to not have too many retarded questions :-\  I hope to saw the main frame components out of ash or white pine and saw the perlins from cottonwood.  My thoughts are to sheet over the perlins and spray in a closed cell foam, and then a false 3.5" interior wall for added insulation and mechanicals.  I have an architect modifying plans I bought from a website called barngeek.  He has details for the roof insulation I don't recall at the moment.  24' of the mechanical shop will have a scissor truss or hammer beam for some indoor basketball ;D 

I'm pretty pumped and stressed.  We have a lot of stuff here and our next temporary living arrangement will be a subdivision lot with a 1 car garage.  No room for the mill, tractor, a garage full of tools, piles of lumber, big mower, etc, etc.

First we will move, then wait for the frost to break, get the driveway in, call the power co., begin the site prep and decide on the orientation of the buildings, site elevation, septic location, on & on.  I have a logger on the hook ready to deliver 8Mbf loads as soon as the snow melts and the wet bottom lands recede back to creeks and rivers.

I hope for the best but know it will be a journey with lots of this  :D ;D, this  >:( :-\,  and this  :P  :'(

"X" marks the spot.

PS - I'm currently reading Jack Sobon's "Timber Frame Construction", and I have "Building The Timber Frame House", and "A Timber Framer's Workshop" waiting in the wings.

thecfarm

That is,will be,quite the adventure. Good luck to ya. Give your layout of your buildings alot of thought,both inside and out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dustyjay

I'm right there with you beginning a building project, waiting for the ground to thaw and fussing a lot about systems and details. I built a small frame years ago for practice and am loving having that space to work in now.

Good luck!
Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

thechknhwk

My father-in-law inspecting one of the perk holes.  I have betwen 32-60" of nice yellow sand.

Scouting for red pines to remove.  I have 3 rows of them, maybe 60-80 trees, and they are in need of thinning.

Two down!

First hitch, I'd guess it was about a 40 footer.

thechknhwk

And then the sand showed up to cover the culvert.

Not bad for a rookie operator

On to a 12x20 temporary storage shed.  I can't say how tired I am of hauling things around in the truck.... It will be wonderful to leave the shovels and other hand tools in there as well as a place to park the tractor.

I see rafters.

thecfarm

Looks good. Before I lived here I had a building for the tractor. I put a piece of metal over the fuel cap,that connected to the dash so the hood could not be open,with a lock and made something that I put through the dipstick handle with a lock. I just did all this so no one could put salt,sugar, sand into the motor without me knowing. Never had any trouble. I lived about 20 minutes from here. I had 2 of every type of shovels and rakes and the like.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Interesting aerial shot of your land.  What was grown on the front part?  Hay?  Didn't look like big trees until your close up work pics.  Looks good and like a lot of fun!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thechknhwk

Hay and beans, but now It's gonna grow trees.

thechknhwk

WmFritz

You even thought of the refreshment stand!   ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thechknhwk

Quote from: WmFritz on May 21, 2014, 11:42:43 PM
You even thought of the refreshment stand!   ;)

Well of course a guy has to have someplace to take a break!

thechknhwk

Little clearing for the septic field.

Same..

Dig a hole.

Put in a tank - this stuff is easy right?

Put on the other half.

Stand around and watch the crane operator.

Push some dirt on it, this stuff is a piece of cake :D

thechknhwk

Lay down some stone..

Set the temporary utility pole

Find some turkey eggs

thechknhwk

Deck and sort some logs

Go someplace else and get some bigger logs 8)

thechknhwk

For clarification I hired someone for the septic; that's why I said it was a piece of cake.  It was this old timer, he's in his 70's and still doing construction, he cracks me up.  He comes over to help me set the utility pole with this late 60's early 70's ford backhoe with an auger off the hoe and forks on the front.  He takes it off the trailer and the ramps aren't just right because last time they used it the skidsteer was on it.  The back wheel slips off about 18" from the end and the tractor gets a little willy nilly.

I say "Geez Merle", and he says that ain't &%#$ I've rolled this thing over before.  So I start giving him a hard time and ask him how many hours are on his ancient tractor, 20,000?  He says, "4500, but the hour meter quit working in 1975."  I'm dying laughing at this point.  I love having him do work for me. ;D

thechknhwk

BTW, cement contractors and loggers don't return phone calls. ::)

Remle

I guess it may depend on the type of soil you have but around me it's clay and not much drainage takes place. So, did Merle say anything about filling it with water, especially if you are not going to be using it any time soon. Empty tanks like that have a tendency to float like a cork if you get a good rain storm. 

thechknhwk

I have well drained soil, but they covered it and ended up leaving it.  There was some water coming in when they dug the hole and there was some concern about it floating, but they thought it would be fine with 12" or so of earthen cover.

Ljohnsaw

If you have the water, I'd fill it up!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Gaining and looking good.

thechknhwk

Well I got about 8mbf of timber decked up.  I'm confused on whether or not to start sawing or not....  I don't really have anyplace to put the lumber after sawing other than stashing it in the woods.  I don't want it all bowed warped or otherwise messed up.  I do not have tin or scrap metal roofing to cover it all, so I'm kind of at an impasse. 

I had to have 1500 tons of sand hauled in (that hurt), but my piers and slab have been poured, and that slab looks pretty nice.  All of my brackets have been cut and powder coated, and my plumbing rough in is done.

The other issue prompting the want to saw is that my cutting spot for ash is under water (STILL!), and more rain in the forecast for this weekend (you've got to be kidding me!).

To saw or not to saw... that is the question?

stumax

Nice Pics.  Good Luck with the adventure.

thechknhwk

Bring on the Dozer.

1500 tons of sand, that hurt the wallet quite a bit!

Cut this tree down then lost it in the woods, never pulled it out... we'll get it when it dries up.

More Sand

An aspen and a red oak, that was a mistake... It was pouring out when I was cutting and thru safety glasses and rain it looked aspeny to me.  Oh well, I plan to make my knee braces from oak and hickory for a contrast.

Sand is done..

Nice aspen down, please ignore my poor felling techniques.

Double your pleasure.

Getting ready to drill some holes.

36" auger

thechknhwk

CEMENT!

The sand did look nice until we drilled 29 holes.

Cement pad going down.

Skidder Wench!

More cement, same day.

Looking for trees with paint on them.

Poison ivy, I hate you, and so does my forearms!

Skidding some cotton wood.

Big cottonwood with a bad case of heart rot.

That's all I got for now, need to snap some pics of my log piles, they are growing!

Jim_Rogers

thanks for sharing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!