iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving large logs

Started by Tom Levens, March 26, 2014, 09:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Levens

Need to get a 3' X 40' white oak log on a trailer. Anyone have any ideas and or picture suggestions?

Dave Shepard

This is a 47' white pine. A lot lighter than your white oak. I'd say either a big loader or a big crane.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom Levens

I'm needing to load a trailer and was thinking something like this might work if I could back the trailer under or the log over?

OFFSITE PHOTOS NOT ALLOWED. PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM ALBUM

thenorthman

Oak is heavy, very heavy...

I would cut it in two 20' lengths then parbuckle it on, run a cable under and back over to a strong winch, roll it over the side with a couple of ramps.

Trying to lift something that big your going to need equipment, some home built arch may do ya, but keep in mind your talking about a log the weighs in around 10000 pounds (yes thats 4 zeros), maybe more.

And dead lifting with anything is way more difficult than rolling it.
well that didn't work

NWP

According to the FF toolbox, that log would weigh around 18,000 lbs
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

thenorthman

Thats cause 3 feet is 36 inches... not 30 huh... dought...
well that didn't work

NWP

We need some pictures of said red oak log.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Tom Levens

yes at 40 feet 36" about 18,549 pounds 75% moisture. Cut it down to 27 feet and we are at 12,521. I'm thinking about a homemade hoist and back the trailer under.

Any thoughts about cutting such a heavy piece on a Wood-mizer LT-50.

Birchwood Logging

That's a big white oak do you got a pic
sell that big boy to a veneer buyer 8)
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

scsmith42

Tom, I have loaded many logs that size (27') onto a 37' flatbed trailer by par buckling with an electric winch. Search the archives here for more info on the process.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Kemper

Can you lift on end and push from the other end with a skidder or dozer? I've done this with logs I couldn't lift high enough to get over the bunks.

Quote from: Tom Levens on March 26, 2014, 09:05:59 PM
Need to get a 3' X 40' white oak log on a trailer. Anyone have any ideas and or picture suggestions?

Southside

Do you have access to two grapple skidders?  Assuming you have a flat bed trailer, put one toward each end then back under it, then slowly twirl it onto the trailer with the two skidders.  I have done this before with very large, custom logs. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom Levens

I will get a pic posted soon. We cut the tree down yesterday. Now we need to get it out to the farm. I'm in Dallas, TX. Would be willing to sell it.

Tom Levens

We tried to lift one end and it did not budge. I think parbuckeling is an option. This is one monster!

Neilo

It depends what gear you have. If you can't lift it or move to landing, build road to log, build ramp between log and road, take the pins out of one side of the trailer and role the log up the ramp and onto the trailer.

Lots of ideas here:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/245141302301419/

Neilo

Ianab

Have access to a small bulldozer?

A common trick from the old days was to dig a trench and drive the truck or trailer into that, so it's deck was level with the ground. Then use the dozer to roll the log onto the deck. Last step was to haul the truck out of the hole, again with the dozer.

Here they are dragging the truck out of the trench.

Yes, that's one log.

Of course only practical if you happen to have a dozer handy, but it might be an option?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

luvmexfood

If your willing to sell it why not check with a local mill and see if you buck it down to the lengths they want if they will come and get it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

treeslayer2003

what do you normally load with?

FeltzE

Blocks to support the ramps, and parbuckle it at both ends. No problems!

Hope you have it sold at that length or your making a lot of effort for nothing.

Dave Shepard

Are you trying to cut a 40' timber, or can you cut it down in length? It will become vastly more manageable if you can cut it into about four pieces. I think the butt log on a white oak that is three feet on the small end is going to be huge. If I was cutting it into boards, I would quarter it with a chainsaw, and make a lot of quartersawn lumber on the LT50. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

luvmexfood

Quote from: Ianab on March 27, 2014, 01:43:41 AM
Have access to a small bulldozer?

A common trick from the old days was to dig a trench and drive the truck or trailer into that, so it's deck was level with the ground. Then use the dozer to roll the log onto the deck. Last step was to haul the truck out of the hole, again with the dozer.

Here they are dragging the truck out of the trench.

Yes, that's one log.

Of course only practical if you happen to have a dozer handy, but it might be an option?

Ian

Wouldn't you love to know just exactly how old that big log is?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Tom Levens

Right now I am looking to make some timbers to build a barn. I will also need to make some lumber.

I appreciate all of the feedback and am looking into having a custom log lifter made that can be towed behind a truck.

Tom Levens

Thanks again for all of the feedback. I had a custom log lift made. The Lift is run by the winch on my truck and we were able to lift the 3 logs onto the trailer with few problems. I have tried to post the pictures from my phone but they will not transfer. Sorry I hope to get them posted sometime soon.

Thank You Sponsors!