iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Howdy all

Started by T A Derrickson, April 09, 2014, 10:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T A Derrickson

Howdy all.

New to this forum, and new to milling.

I just got in my new PantherPro mill in this past Friday.  Went to work on Sunday - thought I would post some pictures.

I am using a Stihl MS880 with a 41" bar and a ripping chain.

The log is from a tree downed in our winter storms - nice Sassafras.
Stihl MS880 & MS190 T  Husqvarna 339XP & 262XP  PantherPro 2 chainsaw mill    Lucas Mill model 8/30

thecfarm

T A Derrickson,welcome to the forum. What's all the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trapper

Welcome and good way to start.  New mill and and new  FF member.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! That is nice looking wood, we don't have sassafras around here.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

That's pretty neat stuff there,  you have a ball park figure on the cost of the set up? 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Andy White

T A Derrickson,
Man you hit the ground running!! Good looking mill and lumber there. Welcome to the Forum. This is the place for sawing. Keep up the good work, and be safe.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

Hello T A Derrickson, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, T A Derrickson.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Busy Beaver Lumber

TA welcome to the forum. Nice Saw there my friend and have read nothing but good things about the panther pro saw jigs.

Drobertson - All the money in that setup is in the saw. The saw guide is actually pretty reasonable priced. He sells them on ebay and on his website in various prices. When he first came on the scene, he took some hits to his ebay ratings for slow delivery, but lately for the past year of so, he has had 100% satisfaction, so he must have figured the recipe out
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

21incher

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. They are some nice clean cuts for first cuts with a chainsaw mill.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

kczbest

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, T A Derrickson! Good looking set up you have there.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the Forum T A.  That's some nice looking wood. 

I'm curious, what holds the track in place on the log?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

T A Derrickson

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on April 09, 2014, 08:09:51 PM
Welcome to the Forum T A.  That's some nice looking wood. 

I'm curious, what holds the track in place on the log?
In the cross beams, 3 of them, there are 2 pre drilled screw holes. I used 3" inch screws. After the first cut, you don't need the rail anymore.
Stihl MS880 & MS190 T  Husqvarna 339XP & 262XP  PantherPro 2 chainsaw mill    Lucas Mill model 8/30

T A Derrickson

Quote from: drobertson on April 09, 2014, 11:56:28 AM
That's pretty neat stuff there,  you have a ball park figure on the cost of the set up?
Busy beaver is spot on. The mill and rail was less than $300 delivered. I also have his carriage mill on order. There is a wait for shipping, but I knew that going in. After all my research, his was the mill I wanted.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum.  Nice boards and mill.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

leroy in kansas

Welcome TA. sawing is an addiction. And, there is no known cure.

SawyerBrown

Welcome TA.

Gonna have to go find me some sassafras -- that's beautiful!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Billbob

Welcome TA.  Beautiful grain in that sassafras! 
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

manoverboard

Welcome!! Nice looking boards! Happy sawing 8)
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

hackberry jake

Where are you located?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

AVF

Hi TA, just came across your post on PantherPro.  Did you ever get your carriage mill HD from them and do you like it? Can you post some photos please? I am looking at buying a mill and wish to learn more about this one. Thank you!
avf

btulloh

Welcome to the forum.  I've never seen sassafras that big.  Looks interesting.  We have sassafras around here but I've never seen one bigger than 3 or 4 inches.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!