iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Awassos Skidder

Started by Ohio_Bill, April 25, 2014, 09:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio_Bill

Does anyone have experience with the small cable skidders that Awassos sells? 

Thanks

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

chester_tree _farmah

There was a guy up in Millinocket who loved his. He had/has the sylvia nova brand but same machine. He specialized in low impact thinning. They look low but it's probably not a big deal since u can drive around most anything with it. How much are they?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

chester_tree _farmah

Bob Matthews.
http://www.meepi.org/lif/bob.htm

Maybe u could find his number some how. I am sure he would be happy to fill u in.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

logman81

They seem like nice little skidders, you can get them in cable or grapple configuration. I like that they have a swiveling seat so you don't get a stiff neck. I think I saw a price some where for $60,000
Precision Firewood & Logging

Ohio_Bill

Called the Sales Rep today ,  The Model they now are building is a MD80  .  Weighs about 10,000    has a 82 hp yanmar .  It can be equipped as a cable or grapple .  Has 14.9 24 tires .  12,000 lb winch with wireless remote .  Nice looking skidder .

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

logman81

Sounds like a nice little skidder.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Reddog

bkellyvtme

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on April 25, 2014, 10:16:50 PM

Called the Sales Rep today ,  The Model they now are building is a MD80  .  Weighs about 10,000    has a 82 hp yanmar .  It can be equipped as a cable or grapple .  Has 14.9 24 tires .  12,000 lb winch with wireless remote .  Nice looking skidder .

Any price on that?? Last time I looked at the MD60 it was like $80,000.

JDeere

I looked into the Awassos skidders a couple years ago and the MD80 was about $90,000.00 Canadian back then.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

timberlinetree

Neat little skidder. Wish they were little less expensive (30,000 would be nice) and more ground Clarence. Is real nice to be able to turn the seat around. Wish we had one.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

HiTech

They seem to have plenty of power...82 hp is a lot for a small skidder. It should pull decent. It should also be stable. Looks like a low center of gravity. Won't be long and 640 class skidders will no longer be made here. Like the family farms where a 50 hp tractor was big at one time. Now they rake hay with 80 hp tractors. Equipment just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Case has done away with 350, 450 and 550 class dozers and Deere has dropped the 350 size. I hear it is a matter of time before they due away with the 450 and 550. I guess equipment has to be big today to move enough material to make the HUGE payments.

shinnlinger

That's the thing with those mini skidders. Who is their target market? 

for 80K, a landowner could get a decent used forestry package tractor, excavator, dozer AND a "full sized" skidder (and just one of them is probably all they would need) which would have a lot more utility in other areas.

Commercial guys would have to be so specific to small, low impact logging that I wonder how sustainable a practice it would be in the long run.  Its not like one or two jobs at that scale would pay off the unit.

So who pays 80k for a mini skidder?   How many annual sales do they have? Just curious, as they seem like nice units and I would love to have one myself but my Kubota will have to suffice till I win the lottery, but even then I would probably spend my $ on other things.

Dave

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

chester_tree _farmah

Agree. Very very cool little machine but 80000? I have about 4000 in my c4 and it's only about a foot and half wider me thinks.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

shinnlinger

I just went to their site which seems outdated, but it appears indeed they are targeting the private landowner.  "the prohibitive cost of conventional machinery makes it inaccessible to private woodlot owners"  Kind of ironic I think...
Shinnlinger

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

thecfarm

I would like to have one. But it's just like a Zero turn mower. We mow ALOT here. But I can not afford to buy something that I can only use for a specific job. That's where a tractor comes in. We can use it to haul a trailer,winter time it has a snow blower on the back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HiTech

We would probably still have affordable small equipment in the United States if our Government hadn't inflated the dollar soooo much to pay for all the little Wars we got in. 10 years in "Nam" cost a lot of money. Now we have the Dessert Storm and Afghanistan and a few more to pay for. Our middle class gets poorer every year. Our gas and diesel are junk and we pay more and more every year. The Big get Bigger and the Small...well you know what happens to the Small Guy. lol 

beenthere

Tryin ta get this in the Restricted forum?  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberlinetree

Hit the nail on the head HiTech!!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

I think for that price tag you would have to have years of TSI work ahead of you if you were a small operator. I"ll stick to the older iron with no payment thank you. And the government, well you know about that one.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

redprospector

Just about any new machine in the 80 to 100 horse power range is going to cost $80K or better.
In 2011 I bought a new Terex PT-100G (99 hp MTL) to run a mulching head with. If memory serves, I paid $82K for it.
In 2013 I priced a Bobcat T870 to run the mulching head with. They gave me a range from $85 to $90K. I bought a 2008 Bobcat T320 for less than 1/2 the cost of new.
I like my old iron, and I dislike payments. But a person that is making money can pay for an $80K rig. Just gotta get out there and hustle.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Bobus2003

Quote from: redprospector on May 06, 2014, 12:16:57 AM
Just about any new machine in the 80 to 100 horse power range is going to cost $80K or better.
In 2011 I bought a new Terex PT-100G (99 hp MTL) to run a mulching head with. If memory serves, I paid $82K for it.
In 2013 I priced a Bobcat T870 to run the mulching head with. They gave me a range from $85 to $90K. I bought a 2008 Bobcat T320 for less than 1/2 the cost of new.
I like my old iron, and I dislike payments. But a person that is making money can pay for an $80K rig. Just gotta get out there and hustle.

Just got a quote today from Bobcat on a 2014 S850 and Fecon head, can be mine for a mere $105k...

redprospector

Depending on how much you paid down, and how long you financed for, and interest rate, and........You could probably get by with a payment of $1500 to $1800 a month.  :D

I know a guy that paid over $70K for a new pickup truck last year.  ??? That's what gets me.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

shinnlinger

A track loader would be easier to justify IMO as it has more versatility than a mini skidder, but the loader probably wouldn't be very good at skidding logs.  That said, has anyone removed the counter weight and installed a hydraulic winch and plate on one?

If the mini's are targeting the landowner, they are competing with a forestry packaged tractor, which is half the price but at least 2/3rds as capable in the woods and also capable of mowing the lawn, plowing snow, mounting a backhoe, rototiller, etc....

Also before I drop 80k on a new machine, I would like some assurance I would be able to get parts 10 years from now and mini skidder companies don't seem to have that track record.
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!