iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safety glasses at the mill

Started by warren46, April 26, 2014, 07:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

I usually where safety glasses when working at the mill.  They are a bit of a pain and need cleaning often but my experience yesterday reinforced the habit.

I was uncoiling a 1 1/2 X .050 band and got a little careless.  Twang and the band hit my glasses. All I got was a scratch on my nose.  Without the glasses I would have been writing this with only on eye.

Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Dave Shepard

I pretty much always have my Stihl sunglasses on outside, they are Z87.1 spec. I like to have my chainsaw helmet on with the faceshield down and the earmuffs in place when handling bands.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nomad

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 26, 2014, 07:57:42 PM
I pretty much always have my Stihl sunglasses on outside, they are Z87.1 spec. I like to have my chainsaw helmet on with the faceshield down and the earmuffs in place when handling bands.

Is that all?  The way I coil (and especially uncoil) bands I want welder's gauntlets, chainsaw chaps, and body armor too! ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

drobertson

got hit twice yesterday from the debarker debris, square in the safety glasses,  it happens fast,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red oaks lumber

i throw my band into sawdust, let it uncoil on its own.why? i learned the hard way ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sawdust joe

Yes throwing  bands on sawdust pile or even the lawn, still be very careful and wear safety gear always.May we all have a safe summer.
Sawdust joe

WDH

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 26, 2014, 08:37:03 PM
i throw my band into sawdust, let it uncoil on its own.why? i learned the hard way ;D

:D :D :D   I am a sawdust-pile-thrower too.  Maybe we need to have a convention. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 27, 2014, 12:19:51 AM
Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 26, 2014, 08:37:03 PM

:D :D :D   I am a sawdust-pile-thrower too.  Maybe we need to have a convention.

Will Julio be cooking?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

That itself would be worth the price of admission. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

backwoods sawyer

Just my preference but I like to keep two hands on the saw at all times when folding and unfolding ;)
Take the time to find a good fitting pair of saftey glasses and keep them where you will use them and make it a habit to wear them around the mill.

It was shift change when one of the guys on my crew came to me with an eye injury requiring a trip to the hospital and three days off work. He had just clocked out, it was a nice sunny morning and while walking up the hill to the parking lot he was watching the chips blow out of a full chip bin as the system was switching bins, he watched one chip float down like a snow flake right into his eye.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Small Slick

My greatest fear as the employer of people is that I will someday have to call the wife of an employee and tell her that her husband was hurt at work. I'm very serious when I say that. Even in this day and age I've been on jobs where men have died and limbs have been lost. Thank God they were not my men.

My company just went through an 8 hour day of sAfety training. The pinnacle of that day was an hour long video titled "Remembering Charlie". It's a public monologue given by Charlie Moorecraft. A guy who is responsible for the largest refinery fire in US history and how that event has affected his whole life.

I don't know how to post the link but the video is older and about an hour long. Search the web I'm sure when you find it you will know.

Let me know if you find this info useful.

John

dgdrls

Quote from: Small Slick on April 27, 2014, 01:22:26 AM
My greatest fear as the employer of people is that I will someday have to call the wife of an employee and tell her that her husband was hurt at work. I'm very serious when I say that. Even in this day and age I've been on jobs where men have died and limbs have been lost. Thank God they were not my men.

My company just went through an 8 hour day of sAfety training. The pinnacle of that day was an hour long video titled "Remembering Charlie". It's a public monologue given by Charlie Moorecraft. A guy who is responsible for the largest refinery fire in US history and how that event has affected his whole life.

I don't know how to post the link but the video is older and about an hour long. Search the web I'm sure when you find it you will know.

John

Here is a quick preview of Charlie.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249FHwsmQPo
This is a very powerful video, I have seen it twice.

I too work in a dangerous industry and my employer takes safety very seriously. 
Bottom line for us is safety first, job second. If you cant do the project in that order your not going to do it until you figure out a way to do it in that order.
Our CEO has made "those calls"  and has told us without reservation he done making them.

I have to say I'm lucky to work in this type of environment, It reinforces what I was taught early-on about safety at work
and continues to spill over into my personal life and my families especially my sons.

Don't be like Charlie was, there is no way it can be worth it

Best DGDrls

Magicman

I always wear my personal safety items:  Hat, glasses, ear plugs, mask, gloves, & steel toe boots.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

brianb88

I learned a long time ago that safety really is important.  I worked at a lumberyard that made pallets some 20+ years ago and as I was leaving for lunch one day I caught a piece of wood with my eye.  I was walking out of the building when it happened and ended up at the eye doctor to have it removed.  I realized then that two eyes are better than one!   :D

I do not yet own a sawmill but you can bet that when I do get one I will be wearing eye protection, ear protection, etc. 
Measure twice, cut once

shortlogger

I used to toss the band blade and let it open until one jumped up and cut a large slice in my nose ! Lots of blood a few stitches and a lesson learned . I hold on to them now !
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Magicman

They are much too easy to properly uncoil than to pitch them.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

highleadtimber16

Twice now I've been hit while unfolding my blades. It was raining both times and the blade slipped out of my fingers. First time the tooth scraped my forehead. Second time the back hit the boney part of my nose. Felt like I got punched in the face!! I always make sure the teeth are pointing away from me when opening blade up.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Chop Shop

I cant leave home without steel toe boots on.

Here is the PNW (rain) it has become easy to get used to wearing a hardhat too.  It makes a great rain hat (fullbrim).

I could be better at the safety glass habit tho.  I like the full face shield.

petefrom bearswamp

See my other post about my helper.
I also caught him walking in front of the sawdust chute when the saw was running.
I had cautioned him about this previously.
Once again the Forest Gump quote
I wear my hard hat with muffs and face screen, gloves and steel toed boots  when sawing.
Perhaps I should use a hard face shield.
I sometimes get bark bits from the debarker coming at me.
Unfolding blades isn't a fun chore, but I seldom coil blades as I am stationary and store them in the box that WM sends them in.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

MAI

Just curious, when you buy new mills do the manufacturers show you the easiest and safest way to change blades?   

Chuck White

Quote from: MAI on April 28, 2014, 11:20:24 AM
Just curious, when you buy new mills do the manufacturers show you the easiest and safest way to change blades?

I'm sure all you'd have to do is ask and they would give you a demo!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MAI

Oh I agree, I'm sure they would show you anything if you asked.  I'm just wondering if it's part of a manufacturers   initial training program or orientation when you purchase a new mill.

wwsjr

Coiling blade was part of the training I had at WM. I think they also have a video on their website. Good safety glasses and heavy leather gloves are a must.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Iron Mike

Quote from: dgdrls on April 27, 2014, 08:18:36 AM
Quote from: Small Slick on April 27, 2014, 01:22:26 AM

John

Here is a quick preview of Charlie.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249FHwsmQPo
This is a very powerful video, I have seen it twice.

I too work in a dangerous industry and my employer takes safety very seriously. 
Bottom line for us is safety first, job second. If you cant do the project in that order your not going to do it until you figure out a way to do it in that order.
Our CEO has made "those calls"  and has told us without reservation he done making them.

I have to say I'm lucky to work in this type of environment, It reinforces what I was taught early-on about safety at work
and continues to spill over into my personal life and my families especially my sons.

Don't be like Charlie was, there is no way it can be worth it

Best DGDrls

I am also blessed to work for a large company that puts safety first. I actually have a copy of "Remember Charlie" sitting on the shelf in my office. Also search YouTube or look up the text for a poem called "I could have saved a life that day". As someone who is responsible for about 100 people, 50 per shift, on 2 shifts, my best days all include "Nobody Gets Hurt" . I always wear seat belts, safety glasses, hard hat, chaps, well you get the idea. As an old helicopter pilot told me once, "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots." I believed this can apply to any industry. Stay safe out there.

stefan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ay3dJ4T4Q&feature=player_detailpage
Speaking of coiling bandsaw blades, look how this gentleman handels a blade!!
A pretty good sized blade too.
I am willing to bet he has done this a few times before.

About two minutes into the video.

Thank You Sponsors!