iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack photos

Started by KWood255, April 26, 2014, 09:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWood255

Going to give this another try at adding photos.....Hopefully it works.

The above photos are of my first skidder, a 1966 TJ 215c with a factory piler. It had the 220 Ford diesel, 4 spd trans and a Hercules winch. It was a good skidder, but parts were a bit tough to find at times. I still don't know why I sold it. I missed it immediately when it left a few months ago.

The bottom pictures are the replacement machine. It is a 1979 TJ 240c. It has a 4-53, 4spd and also a Herc winch. It is a real nice skidder, but I am working a few bugs out currently. It is alot more of a skidder than I need, but the price was right, and has a bill added as a bonus!

thecfarm

I have never seen a factory piler or heard of one. What state are you from? 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KWood255

Province of Ontario. North Western part.

timberlinetree

That grapple on the front sure looks handy to have :D nice skidder!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

chester_tree _farmah

Kwood. Per the new one not lifting like the old. Are the the lifting cylinders smaller diameter on the new one? The old one looks to have larger cylinders but hard to tell. 1/2" can make a big dif. If so u can upgrade em. Surplus Center has great prices on hydraulics. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

coxy

never seen one like that  the tj that's down here has a pipe loader on it like the older ford major diesel  and its factory they made a lot of funky stuff back in the day the jd 350 with a picker on it crazy stuff :laugh:

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on April 27, 2014, 07:30:55 AM
Kwood. Per the new one not lifting like the old. Are the the lifting cylinders smaller diameter on the new one? The old one looks to have larger cylinders but hard to tell. 1/2" can make a big dif. If so u can upgrade em. Surplus Center has great prices on hydraulics. :-)

Also the cylinder configuration is different. Looks like the lift cylinder is underneath the arms on the old one? That is probably changing it too. The old geometry may give the cylinder better leverage.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

KWood255

Thanks for the info fella's. I think I may have solved the lifting issue , partially anyway. I increased the main relief setting on the valve bank, which seems to improve the lifting. Time will tell I suppose.

As for the "c" designation on my 240, the S/N plate indicates "240-GS". Anybody know what that relates too?  My understanding is that it is a 1979.

Dave Shepard

My 208 is a G-S. Somebody said that had something to do with what engine it had. Mine is a Detroit Diesel.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tj240

i dont know about the gs but the e series was all eaton, most d series were detriot powered and the a series i belive was a standard with a gearamatic mine is an a series with a 6 cyl duetze, most a's ive seen have been with the duetze motor, and gearamatic winch.  i do know or think that the c series is a cummins with a jd winch and a diff lock
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Neilo

The GS identifies that it has a GM Detroit engine (G) and a standard transmission (S).

As the years went on, more letters were added that identify other parts of the machine. From memory they go:
Engine, Transmission, Axle, Winch, Butt Pan.

For example, a 230GPEGW
is a 230 with a 353 detroit, powershift, Eaton axles, Gearmatic winch and wide butt pan.

These letters don't relate to the series. Yours looks like a D series machine to me.

Neilo

krisfarm

Hi ,I think I might be the guy from Alberta that purchased this skidder from you . I still have it but recently ran into some engine problems. Really heavy rain fall permeated the exhaust and  flooded  cyls 2-3 . I have the motor all apart now and it seems entirely likely that I will have  everything back in top shape sometime this winter.  The crank is in excellent cond. .0.020 undersize. New sleeves ,pistons ,rings etc and the Ford should run like new . I am looking for a Minnemec fuel pump as the old one was giving some issues this last year. What do you know about this engine ? is it the original ? etc.
Greg

KWood255

Hi Greg, sorry to hear about the water entering the engine. Good to hear it's coming back to life though. That was a nice machine. 

I don't have any info on the fuel pump, but I'd bet the local Auto Value or NAPA might be able to help. Have you tried them? As I understand, those 220 Ford engines were in a lot of Ford tractors, so parts should be available. Best of luck with it. 

KWood255

Greg, I don't have any records left from that 215. I do not remember the history of that engine, or if/when it was rebuilt etc. Sorry. If I bump into the fella I bought it from I will ask him. 

Thank You Sponsors!