iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue stain

Started by bandmiller2, May 05, 2014, 06:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Have any of you fellas that lube with water ever tried putting a fungicide in the water to control the blues.?? Do you think it would help.??I cant try it, being a petro lubber unless I could find an oil based fungicide. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Never have heard of it before, can I ask, what blue you are talking about?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Blue stain on white pine when cut in warmer weather. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Oh,, only cut a dab of white pine, no blue to speak of, but I remember a very brilliant green mold that appeared like in one day,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I haven't tried it Frank, but it does sound feasible.

Probably wouldn't be awfully expensive, so it could be used in all sawing, not just those with blue stain.

Usually when I have blue stained logs, there are only a couple in the whole pile, so it wouldn't necessarily be used for "just" blue stained logs!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I would think that even coverage and volume would be lacking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

I don't think it will work.  Quick drying is the answer.  It is also impossible to remove the blue after it forms
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WoodenHead

Quote from: woodmills1 on May 05, 2014, 08:07:41 PM
I don't think it will work.  Quick drying is the answer.  It is also impossible to remove the blue after it forms

+1

I too think it is impossible to remove blue stain after it forms.  I've found that once the temps are there the blue stain sets in.

backwoods sawyer

The production mill had a spray booth on the outfeed of the planer, at the speed the lumber was traveling thru it not much made it onto the board. The reason for the spay booth was to prevent the white mold from forming when the units with 13%mc were wraped and shipped to Arizona to sit in the hot sun like a peitree dish, to aid in keeping the white stuff off the wood we also changed from a full wrap to wrapping just the ends and top and added 4 hours to the kiln cycle.

Blue stain, not sure if it would help but should have enough flow with lube being sprayed on both sides of the saw making contact with both sides of the cut. When you turn up the flow it leaves the boards good and damp. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

mesquite buckeye

We get guys out here who will  pay extra for it if it is pretty. ;D

Just sayin'

Or cut it in the cool season.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Remember that there are two very distinct forms of "blue" lumber.  One is from mildew and the other is from beetles that kill Pine.  Beetle kill is blue when it dies and the splotchy color goes completely through the log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

We got a lot of blue stained ponderosa pine after the big fires in the Santa Catalina Mtns. It was really pretty. I cut up a bunch for some people with a cabin up there. Spectacular and streaky. Sorry I didn't think to take a picture. Getting that tree down was exciting.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

MikeON

The active ingredient in some fungicidal products is a type of salt (Disodium octaborate tetrahydrate).  I would be concerned about corrosion on the mill if using this in the water lube. 
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Thank You Sponsors!