iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

-D5C -3series.-

Started by BargeMonkey, May 14, 2014, 10:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Wondering if anyone has one, or has run one. Has an allied winch on it, and sitting at the equipment dealer up the road for a decent price. Ive been looking for another lower hour G-J deere dozer but im not against a Cat. I need another one like a hole in the head...  8)

M_S_S

I have run a D5. Not in the woods, but on construction jobs. They are good tractors, the D5 is about equal to the old D6 9U's, light and very versitel (SP). I would buy a Cat over a Deere anyday, lol nothing against Deere just like Cats, I have owned a lot of the older ones. Ed
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

BargeMonkey

We practically bleed deere yellow at home, but strictly NH farm equipment and skidsteers. This is a 5C, sized about a 650G, decent looking machine. Havent had much time on the newer smaller cat stuff, but I know guys have them in the woods. Just wondering, rumor is they are throwing Nortrax out of Clifton Park, possibly becoming 5 star, and if it doesnt improve we will be going over to Southworth.

snowstorm

all the nortrax dealers are owned by deere

loggah

From what i can see there just a upgraded D3, a friend has one,there quick and have good power,but i still like my old D5 96j series! ;D but a 6 way blade would be handy. ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Dave Shepard

No experience with the C, but have run a B. Southworth ticked me off over warranty issues on the "CAT" engine on the mill. They aren't likely to see any of my business.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

M_S_S

Must have been a B that I operated, I didn't own it. Was working for a contractor building gas well pads. I owned a D6 9U at the time and remember it being about the same size. This was 20 years ago lol. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

BargeMonkey

Quote from: snowstorm on May 14, 2014, 04:33:03 PM
all the nortrax dealers are owned by deere
Yeah, and Deere realizes that Nortrax isnt as wonderful as they planned. All our stuff used to come out of K.C Canary years ago,  back when they remembered your name even if you didnt buy 12 new machines a year. Bought 2 J series dozers, 1 in 08- 1in 09, went 2 years till the salesman came down again. Ablele equipment is there every month, and Southworth is really pushing for business. Between the pit we own, sawmill and excavation equipment, and trucks, not counting trailers or attachments im at 39 pieces, not big but not small.

BargeMonkey

Yeah im going to go look at it this weekend, going into a shipyard 30mins from the equipment dealer. 

Big Rooster

If you are looking for a smaller style skid cat you really can not beat the JD 650G's.  They are bomber....have 10,000 hours on mine.  Original engine and tranny, 3rd undercarriage, winch, arch, sweeps, screens, wide undercarriage, narrow pads.  We skid ground up to 70% with it.  They are economical...can run 3 days skidding on 40 gallons, parts of reasonable etc.  9 to 1 most of the smaller cats out in Montana are JD unless you go the next size up and grab a Cat 517/527 but then you are talking some real money.

ST Ranch

Looks like about the same size as My Komatsu D37E [or possibly bigger like the D41s] - in our parts, the Komatsu were/are cheaper to run and repair than the Deeres and Cats [ mine burns less than 10 gallons most days for 70 HP]  - some parts a bit pricey, but pretty simple design [ no computers]and easy to monkey wrench.

Looks well suited for bush [guarding and sweeps] - could use a higher mounted arch on the winch though. All comes down to price, hrs and undercarriage condition.
Tom 
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

BargeMonkey

9700 hrs. I will take that G over a J every day of the week.

Theres my fathers "barn queen" J series dozer. Computer troubles, had muffler issues on both of them, im not impressed. Computer in that one works when it wants. Been on jobs where it wouldnt move, playing service tech. My cousin has a 650J with a full woods package, looks beat to death, track frames arent holding up, with 4k hours on it. J series stood for JUNK.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!