iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another use for slabs

Started by shinnlinger, May 26, 2014, 09:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Wife wanted a raised bed or two so I went out to the mill to fire it up but tripped over my slab pile and decided to to do that instead

filled it 2/3 full of wood chips and topped it with composted manure

Didn't get to run the mill but wife seemed happy so good day!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm impressed! Thats a nice country look. Of course its the wife's opinion that counts.  ;D
Good job Shinn.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Looks good enough to me. What is she growing?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on May 26, 2014, 09:43:19 PM
What is she growing?

OLD....thats why she's been on his case to get it done!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kelLOGg

I wish my pine slabs were big enough to something like that. Don't want to hijack the thread but the subject is near and dear to my heart. It would cost me $350 to have them chipped, no takers (yet) on Craigslist, wrong season for outdoor boiler owners to think about firewood, termites eat too slowly and I want to get rid of them, ... any more ideas?
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Peter Drouin

What's with the rebar in the logs?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

slider

al glenn

JimFX

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 26, 2014, 09:45:55 PM
What is she growing?

and thats when the fight started ......

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

isawlogs

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 27, 2014, 06:21:31 AM
What's with the rebar in the logs?

My guess is to hold up a net... then again I have been know to be way out in left field  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

giant splinter

That is a very nice looking raised bed planter,I like the idea of the raised bed design and I agree with David, it is a nice country look ...... planting maters? materhead
I try to cut my slabs to size (fireplace length) if they are red fir or tamarack then split and stack them in a wood shed, the lower btu material I size up for camping firewood and a neat pile by the mail box row that is always gone the next time I look.
roll with it

Leigh Family Farm

Nice looking raised beds. Can you keep us updated on how the woodchips as a grow medium work? I'm interested in doing the same thing but don't have a big enough bed at the moment.

For the giant slab pile, I would rent a chipper for a 1/2 day. The local tool rental place near me rents them for 4 hour blocks. I think you could chip all that stuff in a few hours. Other than that, I would chop them into 16" lengths and bundle them as camp firewood like was mentioned before.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Brad_bb

I think he just used the wood chips as filler to raise it up, then put soil layer on top to plant in.  I bet as the chips decompose, the bed will sink down some.  So he'll have to add to it next year or the year after.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

isawlogs

Quote from: shinnlinger on May 26, 2014, 09:37:36 PM
Wife wanted a raised bed or two so I went out to the mill to fire it up but tripped over my slab pile and decided to to do that instead

filled it 2/3 full of wood chips and topped it with composted manure

Didn't get to run the mill but wife seemed happy so good day!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

shinnlinger

Here they are with "dirt" and a little seat to make for easy weeding.  The idea with the chips is they were handy filler but also free of weed seeds hopefully and they will compost down to good top soil some day.

and here is a little thing I welded a year ago that I like a lot.  Get a fire going and it burns hot and clear and you can roll it around while it is going but it could easily take slabs and you could burn while sawing if you threw them in as you went.  I like to clean up the cutoffs and stuff as I go with it now.  I call it my "InShinnerator".... it's a "Shinnvention"
Shinnlinger

starbits

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 26, 2014, 09:45:55 PM
What is she growing?

I thought this was funny and was going to show it to the wife, then the brain kicked in.  Best let sleeping tigers lie.

Starbits

Dad2FourWI

I love your "InShinnerator" !!!!

Mobile too..... hmmmmm  :)

That is bloody ShIngenious !  :D

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

DeerMeadowFarm

Nice job! Nice and tall too!

davidlarson

Those slabs look to me like eastern white pine.  My wife also wanted me to make some raised beds for her garden.  I had some white pine logs, 15 inches or so in diameter.  They had been down for some time, were beginning to have a few worm holes and so were not really useful as saw logs, and pine is not really a very good firewood.  I cut them into 12-foot lengths and attached the ends about 4 feet apart with some old 2 by 6 boards, making raised beds 4 by 12 feet, 15 inches deep.  They had the advantages of being free, and were easy to put in place with my small tractor, a boom and a chain.  They were big enough for her to be able to sit on the logs as  she worked in the garden.  Unfortunately, white pine doesn't last a long time in contact with the ground, so now, about 5 years later, they are deteriorating, and will have to be replaced in the next year or two.  Fortunately, we are surrounded by forest with many more living and dead trees, so there is no lack of free replacement materials.  I expect your slabs will need to be replaced sooner or later as well.
David L.   

Dad2FourWI

LOL.... after my first reply, I left my browser up on this thread and when my wife was checking her email, she saw your slab-raised bed.... and NOW she has my weekend planned out!!!!

I was going to cut stickers this weekend but it looks like I will be pulling wood from my slab pile instead!!! :)

... at least she now has her own edger - so I can put her to work!!! :D

Nice job! - I like the seats on the top... adds strength too!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

MikeON

The InShinnerator looks very interesting, especially since I have an old oil tank.  Can you share a few details about it?  Is the expanded metal in front placed inside as a grate?  Is there an air hole somewhere?
Thanks.
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

shinnlinger

I'm heading out the door to Maine for a few days.  Will create separate post about it when I get back.
Shinnlinger

thecfarm

I remember the InShinnerator,What I like about it,he towed it to where he was picking stuff up and just threw it in. I have to carry my stuff to the brush pile. He brings his fire to the piles.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: thecfarm on May 29, 2014, 07:35:07 AM
I have to carry my stuff to the brush pile. He brings his fire to the piles.  ;D

Very clever! I will be looking forward to shinnlinger's post on it!

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: shinnlinger on May 29, 2014, 07:32:00 AM
I'm heading out the door to Maine for a few days.  Will create separate post about it when I get back.

Are you back yet? ;)

Thank You Sponsors!