AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Any other pilots out there  (Read 8726 times)

Offline kevin19343

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Any other pilots out there
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
I've been a pilot for 19 years. When I started flying it cost around $35 to rent a Cessna 152 for an hour. The price has gone up a little since then. If I ever got serious about flying I would consider get something faster like a Cessna 210 or maybe a Saratoga.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »
I'd love to have faster (who wouldn't?) but just can't justify the expense.  As it is, we're debating about taking in a partner (which has its own set of concerns) or just selling our 172 altogether.  The one thing stopping us from selling is that we know that if we sell, we'll never own another plane.  Plus, I'd love to teach my kids to fly someday.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »
I sold my 4 seat stinson when the kids started to college. If I ever own another plane, it will most likely be a homebuilt, there's some advantages to them, some real nice ones out there
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Woodhauler

• In Memoriam
  • Logging is in my blood!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
I haul wood for a guy that is a pilot for FED EX!!   Makes big money, but loves to cut wood when he is home! He is home 2-3 days out of 7 and i can count on 2-3 loads of wood! Put up like it should be. Loaded 10cd long poplar on him today in  15  minutes.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 09:00:53 PM »
Hello,
I am a student pilot. Instructor said solo next time out. Seem to have all the numbers right. Just need to prefect the flair at landing. We did about 8 landings tonight. Flying a Aero Commander Lark with 180 hp.
Using Kings school course. 
Thanks
Marty
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »
Jargo, I'm not a pilot but I do fly off the handle sometimes. ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 11:18:39 PM »
Good luck with it, Marty.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 12:40:50 AM »
I would love to know how to fly, coolest trip was in a 5 seat cessna flying in Alaska, The pilot let me set in her "co-pilot" seat, I'm kind of a gearhead so man was that cool!  But I also love them small jets, man they take off good, gotta get me one of those!  :) Hope you have a great time with it Marty

Offline Gadrock

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new! But older than many trees!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 09:58:01 AM »
I got my private back in 1969 and started flying everything that I could. Owned 172's Cherokee Sixes, Super Cub with a 180 hp, Bonanza V35B, twin Commanchee, and a few AgTrucks (Cessna Ag plane), plus high altitude gliders.

Several thousand hours later in powered and several trips above 25,000 in a glider with one to 30,000...well time to quit.

The last pilot in command by me was in 1992.

If I had ever been exposed to bush flying like you see in the tv program then that is where I would have been. God put me here growing pine trees now and I do not try to outguess my Master.

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »
Hello,
Four take off and landings tonight, One with the instructor three all alone  :o. Three greasers all by the numbers. So I am cleared to solo as of tonight.
The next thing is study for the test.
The instructor cut the back out of my shirt, ? That was not in the book.

Thanks,
Marty
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 10:14:12 PM »
Marty, that is awesome. I just have to wonder where they found a spot near Shade Gap flat enough for a landing strip.  ;D

BTW, what's a "greaser"?

Offline Papa1stuff

• Can I trade for an LT70?
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 05:27:43 AM »
Sounds like a smooth landing to me ;D
When I was learning to fly , my instructor wrote in my log book that I had done five takeoffs and controlled crashes :D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 08:24:08 AM »
A "greaser" is pilot slang for a landing so smooth you can barely tell you set down. Just a couple of "chirps" as the tires touch down.

Congrats on the solo take-offs and landings, Marty. That's a major milestone.

John

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 09:21:07 AM »
For all airplane lovers, the grandaddy of all air show/airplane gatherings starts july 27 in Oshkosh wis. Upwards of 10,000 airplanes of every kind. The only airworthy B29 bomber will be there, along with the us airforce thunderbirds. Airshow daily starting around 2 pm. Something new..Streaming live video over the internet every day. Go to EAA.ORG and follow the links to airventure. I'll be there, leaving this sunday am. Anybody else going??
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Offline Gadrock

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 09:45:56 AM »
Piney,
    The last EAA trip I had to Wisconsin had us landing in groups of 4. Two aircraft landed side-by-side halfway down the long East-West runway while the other two did the side=by=side landing on the numbers.
    There were as many aircraft parked there as there would be automobiles at a college football game. A requirement was to have an additional listener in the front, because so much information was being handed out it was difficult for a single pilot to keep up with...on his first visit.
    I have seen enough aircraft maneuvers to last a lifetime, until they get to the high precision landing. But up there its a million acres of paved stuff with runways wider than some of the strips I took off on longways.
    We camped out while up there so there was minimal equipment in an airplane. I hope you guys enjoy your trip.

David G

carry on
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Offline Jhenderson

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
Sold my Maule when the economy took a dive in the mid 2000s. It's the only equipment move I regret. Miss it as much as I'd miss my dog.

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 08:41:10 PM »
It has started, today is the first day and already out of parking space for planes, close to filling up all the car parking lots and campground.  I'm camped in a motorhome right in the middle of everything. A large percentage of the north american avaiation fleet is here along with even more pilots and Lord knows how many wannabe's. The thunderbirds are scheduled for friday, saturday, and sunday airshows. Supposed to be 2 nightime airshows with fireworks. We have been here 2 weeks, working to get everything ready. Not exactly an un-eventful trip. Clogged fuel filter 50 miles south of Rockford Ill and a blown tire 20 miles from destination..I had spares for both..

Offline Gadrock

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »
Piney I hope you guys have a wonderful event. Although I no longer go there I recognize that is one of the two "places to be" when it comes to aviation. it was enjoyable for me too when I did attend.

But I am getting prepared to be at the Pig Roast in a couple days, seeing a part of the country I have never seen.

David G

carry on

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
Private and instrument rated, logged over 700 hours thus far, been too busy the last few years to even annual my plane, let alone fly it. but I sure do love flying.   

I learned enough to know, its sure nicer to fly when the weather's nice out than fight mother nature, so now I'm only a fair weather flyer.   

Offline bama20a

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 10:08:30 PM »
I hold an PPL,Thats what with my name bama20a,20a is the airport call number  ;D ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
For you pilots........

Started by Onthesauk on General Board

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 03:43:48 PM
by mad murdock
thumbup
Ultralight Pilots, Homebuilt Airplane Builders & Flying enthusiast - Log on!

Started by woodbowl on General Board

106 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 10:10:12 AM
by woodbowl