The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Deer Fawns  (Read 22540 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Deer Fawns
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2018, 10:02:33 AM »
Hes not a fawn anymore but DumDum still acts like it.  Middle of muzzleloader, shots popping everywhere and i gotta yell and clap to run him off.  Hopefully he makes it another few seasons.

Revelation 3:20

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Deer Fawns
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2018, 10:50:37 AM »
   I've got a doe and fawn like that out near where I keep the mill. I have to ride past them on a rock bar at the line fence almost every time I go up to my shooting houses. They stand there and watch as I ride by even though it is bow season and antlerless are legal. The old doe bedded down about 30 yards from me one day last year with me running the mill. They seemed more alarmed when the dogs would come out than they were at me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Fawns
« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2019, 05:59:44 PM »
   We had the 7 & 11 y/o granddaughters from Wednesday when they got out of school till yesterday afternoon. I took them fishing Friday & Saturday morning and they had a great time jerking little sunfish out of the rocks just above the COE dam on Bluestone Lake. We took them home yesterday pm and Becky, my photographer wife, grabbed her camera in case we spotted interesting wildlife on the 11 mile county mountain road trip to our son's house. About 7 miles up the road alongside Pinch Creek I saw a young doe beside the road and stopped while Becky took her picture. Suddenly 7 y/o Molly yelled "A baby, a baby" and sure enough about 20-30 feet behind the doe a very young fawn was struggling to walk in the grass. It was all wobbly kneed and really cute. It was very tempting to run grab it for a pet but we knew better and let nature take its course. Becky got several good pictures and Molly was really proud of "her" fawn.

The little guy is really struggling to walk in the grass.

I've looked in the pasture a couple of times this year for them where the does park them but had not found any. This one is the first of the year for us. They are really cute at this stage.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
Re: Fawns
« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2019, 06:14:44 PM »

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2019, 07:37:03 PM »
I saw a fawn an hour ago that must have only been a few minutes old. The size of a house cat and still wet. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »
That's a good pic TR, I stumbled into one like that a couple years ago!

It's what they do when someone gets a little to close, just drop and remain motionless hoping the danger will pass!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »
Mother taught them well. My Father fell a tree and while limbing it,he found a fawn. He came home and got my Mother and me to see it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2019, 05:09:28 AM »
I've almost stepped on one before with my foot raised over top of one before he jumped up and wabbled off. Almost swallowed my gizzard. :D :D

Only have 2 does around here this spring, haven't seen any fawns. Was hard winter on the deer here this winter, over 20 % die off.
Move'n on.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2019, 06:04:05 AM »
I'm hoping for twins all over, they were fed well all winter.  ;D
Right cfarm.  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2019, 11:23:58 AM »
    Happy B'day Swampy.

I have walked up on fawns hiding in the open like that and still not see them till I am a very few feet from them. I got out spraying weeds this morning and an old does was about 40 yards away on the other side of my cross fence nonchalantly feeding away. I got off my ATV and walked up there and searched but did not find a fawn. She did not blow or stomp her foot like they often do to warn others so maybe she did not have one close by. They are usually pretty nervous when they have a fawn close by to protect. 
Howard Green

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2019, 07:16:11 PM »
   About 4:00 pm today I heard Sampson bark one time outside so I went out to check and I thought he was walking outside the fence and I checked to see if I had left the gate open. It was closed  so I looked again and realized there were spots. It was a fawn. He walked the along the outside of our chain link yard fence. He walked 3 complete sides then reversed his course and came back while Becky and I took pictures of him. He walked up to the pasture fence and instead of walking under or through the gate he turned again and and followed the pasture fence then walked through a cross fence between the yard and pasture fence where I fenced off a bog. He entered the bog area and appeared to bed down in a willow thicket. An hour or so later I walked out and looked but could not see him bedded down there so maybe he walked through the pasture fence into some real thick grass. This morning while I took a load of wood products to a local flea market Becky had seen a couple of yearlings in and around that same area so maybe one of them was the mom or older siblings. I saw the horse and mule up in the pasture not far away. I don't know if they spooked him or if he is just a disobedient child not staying where Mom parked him. I hope he learns quick or he will be lunch for something.

Walking along the fence in the front yard.

Reversed and retracing his steps back.

Just one more reason to live in WV! 8)
Howard Green

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »
Last weekend we saw the smallest fawn I have ever seen. I think it was just a couple of hours old.

Mother nature is pretty awesome.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2019, 08:22:19 PM »
I'll trade you a fawn for a family of coons in the barn flu. :D
Move'n on.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2019, 09:40:24 PM »
Donkey,  

You better sweeten the deal (A lot!) before I will make that trade. :D

Weekend,

We are speculating this is the same fawn we saw last Thursday night. Becky had put up some fish and took the trash out because of some fish trimmings and came in and said we had a fawn and speculated the doe had just had it. I shined the light and saw it at a gate in the pasture cross fence about 20 yards from the bog where it bedded down. We may have the makings of a yard fawn this summer.
Howard Green

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2019, 12:26:14 AM »
s'all I got besides an agitated sciatic nerve. :D Although. I did see a ruffed grouse down by the garden yesterday. Good eaten they is. ;)
Move'n on.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2019, 01:06:58 PM »
I saw a young fawn a few weeks ago while driving out my driveway.  When I got about 10' away the fawn laid down and put its legs over its head.

I leave a patch of grass un-mowed so the does can hide the fawns there.  Got 3 does that call it home.  A few days ago I was out for a walk and saw them going crazy.  They were snorting, wheezing, and one was jumping straight up in the air as high as she could.

I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw this guy strolling around.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2019, 02:49:32 PM »
Larry,

Real neat picture. I don't blame the bobcat for trying to catch a fawn for lunch but I am not going to make it easy one him. I don't know if a doe would attack a bobcat getting too close to her fawn. I've heard of them sending neighborhood dogs packing. 

We went out in the pasture 2 years ago looking for fawns where the does normally park them and found a pile of young turkey feathers where I figure a hawk ate him as the head was still there and the skeleton was pretty much intact and then on the way back on my ATV we found the front half of a fawn in the trail. I don't know what ate the back half - coyote, bear, bobcat, dog, etc. 
Howard Green

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2019, 08:54:02 PM »
Was bush hogging some fields this weekend and noticed a lot of places where fawns had needed.  I dropped the grapple low on the front end loader to act as a 'cow' catcher.  Better find it that way than by the bush hog.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2019, 12:01:13 PM »
   He's back! I had sent his picture to a friend in Tuscon and was answering her reply and looked out and he was about 10' from where I last saw him. He crawled through that ragged cross fence then could not get back. It is drizzling rain and he'd shake like a dog every few minutes. Finally he gave up and circled the yard fence again and disappeared along the creek in front of the house or woods behind the house. I sent updated pictures to Arizona. Looks like we may get to watch him grow up if he survives.

Howard Green

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
Give him a little whole corn out there. That will stop the shakes. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fawns Next to Woodpile.

Started by capt dick on The Outdoor Board

5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2017, 02:42:51 PM
by thecfarm
xx
Got my deer!

Started by Texas Ranger on General Board

9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2005, 07:59:58 AM
by sawguy21