iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turtle tunnel in Minnesota

Started by chain, June 11, 2014, 07:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

I salute the State of Minnesota for constructing its first 'Turtle Tunnel' under a highway to save turtles from being smashed by vehicles.

So what about deer tunnels ? In major deer crossings where many accidents occur due to deer collisions....those are our loved ones in those cars!

Missouri Conservation Commission has spent absolutely millions of dollars in developing conservation areas and adding on and enhancing wildlife habitat for the public and other sportsmen  to enjoy. Could it be possible to construct deer fencing to lead deer safely through and under the highways for safety of all?

Dave Shepard

There is a picture on the internet of a bridge over a highway that is covered in grass and trees for wildlife to cross. I think it is in Norway. I doubt that deer would use a tunnel. A friend of ours has a cattle tunnel under a road, and they won't use it. Of course it is under the water table, so part of the year they would need a canoe each. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Shotgun

And the deer crossing lady probably votes somewhere. That may be part of our problem these days.     ::)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

chain

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 11, 2014, 08:36:35 AM
There is a picture on the internet of a bridge over a highway that is covered in grass and trees for wildlife to cross. I think it is in Norway. I doubt that deer would use a tunnel. A friend of ours has a cattle tunnel under a road, and they won't use it. Of course it is under the water table, so part of the year they would need a canoe each. :D

In some cases deer will enter a tunnel and cross under a highway.The place I know of is along a creek with about a 5'X5' box culvert under the hiway, it's a natural deer funnel with livestock fencing on either side. Some bow-hunters  will often place their deer stands near gaps in fences or old gate entrances, deer trails heavy in those places.

beenthere

Arranging a crossing for turtles (and for deer) seems an effort in futility, but we all know when there is free and easy Gov't funding for such ideas, there are those more than willing to spend it.
Am thinking of the fencing that would have to be erected for who-knows how many yards, to direct the turtles  into the tunnel. Must be a lot of yards. And this is for just one tunnel. How many would be needed?

And for deer, it is mind boggling to think of the miles of tall fencing needed and how often a tunnel would have to be installed along the gazillion miles of highways that deer cross. (and this thread reminded me of the video of the lady asking for better location of the deer crossing signs that Jeff posted.  :D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

It's only a "feel good" effort at the expense of the taxpayers.  Any time you create a concentrating point for wildlife,   you attract predators.   

Years ago the conservation department requested that people stop putting out food for small wildlife during hard winter conditions.   Their study found that the effort benefits predators more than small wildlife.   Obviously,  a food plot in combination with cover is a better situation.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

chain

Quote from: beenthere on June 11, 2014, 11:11:50 AM
Arranging a crossing for turtles (and for deer) seems an effort in futility, but we all know when there is free and easy Gov't funding for such ideas, there are those more than willing to spend it.
Am thinking of the fencing that would have to be erected for who-knows how many yards, to direct the turtles  into the tunnel. Must be a lot of yards. And this is for just one tunnel. How many would be needed?

And for deer, it is mind boggling to think of the miles of tall fencing needed and how often a tunnel would have to be installed along the gazillion miles of highways that deer cross. (and this thread reminded me of the video of the lady asking for better location of the deer crossing signs that Jeff posted.  :D )

You could probably google the Turtle tunnel project in Mn. Looked to me as where a wetland or slough was previously a natural crossing for turtles. But yes, there would be a great expense in constructing and maintaining deer fences to force them in to a safe under crossing therefore saving deer for all you trophy hunters, and possibly saving a human life or two.

But I'm the last person to ridicule about government wasting, I farm adjacent to an on-going wetland project funded by USDA...need I say more?

Jeff

JEFF SHAKES HIS HEAD IN DISBELIEF.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

Only in Minnesota could the DNR have someone in charge of turtles and install culverts for turtle crossings, but anyone inclined to help the turtles should read the last two sentences of this story carefully.

"Many turtles and other species are killed on Minnesota roads each year, especially during the nesting season," said Carol Hall, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources herpetologist. "In fact, roadway mortality is believed to be a major factor in turtle population declines throughout the United States."

While most Minnesota turtles are aquatic, they may be found miles away from water as they migrate to nests.

The DNR says if there is not a lot of traffic, letting a turtle cross the road by itself is the best option. However, if a turtle is threatened by traffic, a person may give a hand if it is safe. The DNR suggests that people handle a turtle gently and avoid excessive handling.

However, snapping turtles and ones with soft shells may bite when picked up, so they should be held gently along the shell edge near the midpoint of the body.

DNR experts warn would-be turtle helpers that turtles often urinate when picked up.

:D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chain

That is amusing, I think so will frogs urinate on you when holding. We all share a common interest here we just have different ways of expressing our concerns. I could tell of my experiences of seeing piles of turtles, dead& rotting, from a turtle poacher that  tended his traps too late. Some of these species of turtles are protected, the poacher knows he can sell the turtle or turtle parts for lots of $$. And I do believe there's an on-going investigation here in Missouri of high priority in apprehending the turtle poachers.

Dave Shepard

Many culverts now have to be open bottomed. I guess that some critters won't walk through a plastic or metal culvert. I've also heard of a special salamander culvert being installed locally.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

I've heard good hearted people tell about stopping and helping turtles cross the road.  I've wondered if they keep statistics on how many accidents are caused by stopping and helping turtles cross the road?

I hear too that it ain't healthy to handle turtles as they tend to be covered with various like ecoli.

We have a lot of turtles around the mill.  I think they are drawn to the night crawlers and grubs.  They are pretty hearty.  I'll pick up a log and one may roll out and scamper off (well, their version of scampering).
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

I was coming home on a 4 lane highway,speed 55. All at once traffic is stopped in front of me,black smoke is coming off the car tires in front of me. I headed for the breakdown lane. Someone stopped for a turtle. I'm all for saving wildlife,but I don't want to get half killed in the process either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chain

Folks will do the same thing to save a brood of ducks crossing a highway. But there are those people that also will cross the center line to crush a turtle. I think this tells something about us.

Jeff, I want to apologize for insinuating publicly about my attitude towards some appointed officials. I was wrong, and know this could make your wonderful forum look bad. I did take a few things off, I probably missed a few statements. The next time I get out of hand...zing me off.

Billbob

Quote from: chain on June 12, 2014, 07:04:08 AM
Folks will do the same thing to save a brood of ducks crossing a highway. But there are those people that also will cross the center line to crush a turtle. I think this tells something about us.

Yep.  There is a lady in Montreal being tried right now for criminal negligence causing death for stopping on a busy 4 lane highway to shoo some ducklings off the road.  The subsequent collision of a motorcycle with her car resulted in the death of a man and his 16 year old daughter.
I'm all in favor of saving wildlife but not at the expense of human life.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

reswire

I watched a very nice young lady remove a turtle from route 17 last week.  I noticed a "ton of liquid" pouring on her new pants leg; couldn't figure out what was going on at the time.  Now I read that turtles urinate when picked up.... question answered.  Poor girl.  She was drenched by that ungrateful turtle.   ::) ::) 
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Billbob

Quote from: reswire on June 12, 2014, 08:02:05 PM
I watched a very nice young lady remove a turtle from route 17 last week.  I noticed a "ton of liquid" pouring on her new pants leg; couldn't figure out what was going on at the time.  Now I read that turtles urinate when picked up.... question answered.  Poor girl.  She was drenched by that ungrateful turtle.   ::) ::) 

No appreciation what so ever! :D
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Tom L

I saw a young girl a couple of weeks ago stop on a blind corner of my road and was getting out of her car .
it wasn't until I passed I saw a snapping turtle that had to weigh 10 lbs sitting in the road.
she was going to move it. lucky she didn't get killed or bitten.

I read that story about the lady in canada. she is on trial now. moving ducklings she killed two people.

makes you wonder what is running thru their heads

Dave Shepard

Stopping in a bad spot is not a good idea, sure, but what about the people going around the blind corner like there isn't going to be anything there? Commercial driver training prepares you to be able to stop within the distance that you can see. If you need 200 feet to stop, and you can only see 100, you are going to fast. There is a little bit of blame for the people who are doing the rear ending here as  well.

Thank You Sponsors!