The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: AHS Wood Gun - Ash out the chimney  (Read 907 times)

Offline eesiason

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
AHS Wood Gun - Ash out the chimney
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
I see plenty of posts about the AHS Wood Gun blowing ash out the chimney.  We have an e-140 in service for a little over two years, and love it.  It heats out 4500 sq ft off-grid log home wonderfully.  Almost zero oil burned since we moved in.  Really super solid machine, no doubt.  BUT - has anyone solved the ash blown out the chimney problem?  Our stack is close to 40 feet tall, so the draft is strong - prolly too strong - and even with the input air damper closed i wind up with a LOT of little balls of carbon all over the deck out front.  I'm thinking of welding up a fat pipe with some baffles in it for on top of the swirl chamber to try to knock down some of the ash...  Thoughts?
Solar and wind powered log home, wood gun heat, '87 Woodmizer LT30, '87 Kubota, '87 Deere 550b, and '50 Pettibone.

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: AHS Wood Gun - Ash out the chimney
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Puzzles me that ash from burning is usually white/grey dust-like.  Not little balls of carbon.

The little balls of carbon seemingly would be soot, like from incomplete burning of oil, or from incomplete burning of wood.

Maybe others have experienced the "little balls of carbon".

Then again, I'm not familiar with the AHS wood gun either.

Update your profile for us pls.   thanks
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline eesiason

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »
The ash from the wood gun is an incredibly fine powder, likely because of the completeness of combustion.  They say that their heat transfer ("swirl chamber") is scoured clean by the forced air and ash particles.  I'm guessing that this process may pack some of the ash together if it picks up any creosote along the way.  The wood gun actually goes out between burns, making it really efficient.  No smoldering, but likely a short period when reigniting where it's not fully up to temp (see http://alternateheatingsystems.com/wood-gun.html).  No way to prove it, but my guess is this is the burn phase that produces this stuff.  Any other ash that is blown out the chimney is going to blow away in the wind...  Their tech guys have only offered 'close the damper more', and you can't close it more than all the way...  :-)
Solar and wind powered log home, wood gun heat, '87 Woodmizer LT30, '87 Kubota, '87 Deere 550b, and '50 Pettibone.

Offline treetech

• Full Member x2
  • Who knew working in the woods could be fun!!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:16:23 AM »
Im sure that you have done this, but just in case; make sure that your ash separator isnt plugged. Sometimes mine will plug up at the bottom of the cone. Pull out the ash tray and feel around. If it is plugged, the ash has nowhere to go but out the stack.

Offline 711ac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:07 PM »
I get the same thing with a very short chimney, like up from the cyclone 7', horiz. through the wall 4' to an open (bottom) tee to vertical again. I think it is just a result of that beast of a fan that get's the fire going again after shutdown. It's bound to pull a few loose embers from the nozzle area occasionally that make it through the cyclone.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wood heat, propane chimney

Started by quilbilly on Firewood and Wood Heating

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2017, 11:18:29 AM
by quilbilly
xx
Chimney on outdoor wood furnace

Started by Woodcutter_Mo on Firewood and Wood Heating

26 Replies
Last post November 25, 2017, 11:50:52 PM
by Woodcutter_Mo