The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Kinked blade.  (Read 1829 times)

Offline crowhill

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Kinked blade.
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 08:20:10 AM »
Talk about timing! This past Wed I threw a new blade forgetting to raise the saw head after third cut, slight bend, decided to change it with intent of trying to straighten later. Next blade ran fine for about 3.5 hrs on knotty pine, getting dull change it. Third new blade of the day on, couple of cuts, not with it, forgot to lower the log stops! I knew, I heard, I saw! Saw was done for the day! Checked the blade and could find no visible damage to blade, changed anyway. Haven't forgot the stops in 12 years, backing the blade off, close to ten years.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »
Most likely, you were in a hurry!

Happens a lot when we don't take the time to check and recheck!

Lesson learned.

Happy sawing crowhill.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline dboyt

• Senior Member x2
  • Log On!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »
I've found that a kink is easier to straighten when the blade is folded into thirds.  The kink is easy to spot, and it is fairly easy to tell when it is straight, because the curve matches the curve on the other two folds.  I very seldom have to throw one away.  It may not be as cost effective, but I just hate throwing them away.

Magic Man's suggestion about using wedges is a good one.  Sometimes there is just too much stress in the log to allow you to back the mill out.  But always with the blade stopped.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 01:06:47 PM »
I've jumped and bent many blades- when I get jamming out and not disengaging the clutch on the gig back. I am a slow learner, my daughter watched me jump 2 brand new blades off, one after the other >:( You know, that didn't work, I'll try it again ::) What happens a lot of times is when I am opening a face, if it gets too thin on the end of the log my board drag back misses the slab and the blade hits it. Kabaam! :o So, now I disengage the blade on opening cuts, and leave it engaged when I am cutting a cant down and pulling boards off. At any rate, I have a large pile of bent blades that I need to straighten out "someday" when I learn the technique. Maybe I should change my handle to "Bladebender"  ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »
I've kinked a few. Like Steve, I didn't know you couldn't straighten them, so I did (sort of). Haven't had to trash one yet.

And like Richard, I don't waste valuable sawing time trying to straighten bent blades. I mark it with a Sharpie, put it aside with the dull blades, and straighten it at home while I've got another blade in the sharpener.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter