iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To Water the log or not?

Started by rimshot, June 28, 2014, 07:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimshot

For me,  FOR me if I'm into  dry hardwood go ahead and use some water but I don'T NEED it for that eastern White Cedar barK which plugf the mill in nothing flat with stringy bark and fuz.  What about it for you?  Do you use water or not when sawing?

rimshot

LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Chuck White

I use water with PineSol, no matter what I'm sawing!

I just meter the water flow accordingly for what I'm sawing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

I use water most of the time, mainly to keep the blade cool. If the wood is very green and not pitchy, I'll saw without any lube.

I don't usually run into pitch so cooling is my main concern. I always use water with Western Red Cedar -- it's dry enough even when green that my blade overheats quickly.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

rimshot

with the EASTERN White variety and if it is dry, the sawdust can act like a sandblaster and everyhthing is clean as a whistle inside the wheel box but if it is green and with the addition of water it can be awful stuff plugging the sawdust portals with bark and white fibrous stuff from from beneath the bark.

Thanks for the observations

rim

LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

dboyt

I don't use water on hardwoods or eastern red cedar.  I figure there is enough moisture in the wood to do the job.  I have never known the blade to heat up enough to affect the tension, or to be too warm to hold on to bare-handed.  Sometimes pitch is a problem with pine and I'll use a little water & pine sol to keep the blade clean, but that's all.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Peder McElroy

I cut mostly Redwood and never use water.

Thank You Sponsors!