iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heave ho

Started by Jeff, June 29, 2014, 12:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Everybody in the north knows how extreme this past winter was. I wanted to post something to show it. Our southern members have probably saw where a northern member may talk about frost laws, or mentioned frost depth for building or maybe the mention of frost heave, but never really could relate.

This winter the frost was so deep here at the cabin that it pretty much threw the sheds out of the ground that we built in the mid 90's.  When I came up this spring for the first time, the latch was ripped off the shed from the building twisting so hard. The pole structure's concreted in poles were heaved up over a foot out of the ground. I should have got a picture of the quad in  the shed that first day. Within the shed, the ground have heaved up almost two feet. I was a bit shocked when I opened the door to have the back of the quad at chest level. That ground returned to near normal when the ground thawed, but the damage was done to the buildings.

Today I spent all day fixing the buildings back to a usable state. We decided to simply cut all the poles off, lower the buildings back to ground level where they would just sit on concrete patio blocks, free to rise and fall from now on if we get such frost heave again.  Here are some before photos, and the after photo.  I dug all the old concrete out and the remainder of the poles, leveled under the building the best I could, and lowered it back down.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ed

Holy carp!....never seen frost heave that bad in just one winter, even over time I've never seen it like that.

Did have 2 doors here that needed a little tlc to stay latched last winter though.

Ed

Autocar

Maybe your next project you can built it with runners under it and just set the runners on cement blocks. We always built smaller buildings chicken coops and such on 4 x 6's then pull them to where we wanted them. I once saw where a tornado ripped a pole barn apart and what amazed me it pulled 18 foot 6 x6 's out of the ground that were four feet deep with cement on them.
Bill

Chuck White

Wow Jeff, that's the worse I've ever seen, what a mess!   :o

And to think....... I get upset when the front door sticks a little during the Winter!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on June 29, 2014, 12:04:52 AMOur southern members have probably saw where a northern member may talk about frost laws, or mentioned frost depth for building or maybe the mention of frost heave, but never really could relate.   
That is an understatement for sure.  Our frost line extends to just below the grass roots, plus we do not have rocks, so it is a totally different world.  The pictures were very graphic.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Ayup,that did some moving.  :o  I only put cement blocks under the woman cave. Did not move. The horse run in has been in place for 8 years. I just put PT 4X4's in the ground. So far so good. But my ground is not wet where we have the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Thats some moving for sure, lots of labour to get it from where it was to how it is now, good job Jeff.
It was also bad here, frost was over eight feet deep, as that is where my water line is. pump does not pump ice, Had to get it thawed, then I bought an inline heating cable that cost an arm and a leg, put that in the watr line so not to have it freeze.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

yukon cornelius

I have never seen anything like that! how deep do house footers have to be there?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Jeff

Quote from: yukon cornelius on June 29, 2014, 09:28:42 AM
I have never seen anything like that! how deep do house footers have to be there?

code here is 42"

yukon cornelius

That's not as deep as I expected.  i think id like a warmer climate  ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

clww

Very impressive pics of Mother Nature's power! :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

easymoney

i still like the south no matter if the northern folks feel they are smarter than hillbillies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I hate this happened Jeff but I appreciate you sharing the pictures. I have honestly never seen anything like this.
I gotta show these to my Dad.
Our freeze line in S.C. is 18 inches. Our footings have to be at least that deep per code.

But your building?....OMG....I would have never imagined something like that.

........and we thought we had a bad winter.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: easymoney on June 29, 2014, 10:35:36 AM
i still like the south no matter if the northern folks feel they are smarter than hillbillies.

I don't feel I'm smarter then my Southern Friends;
I just enjoy the cooler weather then all that heat down there. :snowball: 

If anything, our cold winters may numb my brain a bit. ;D ;D
And we've got plenty of Hillbillies up north too.  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Barney II

Just south of you Jeff, the frost was down maybe 6 inches i.e. right at my place here in Cable.  The whole area around (10 miles or so) had very little frost.  We got that first heavy snow very early on and it kept coming keeping the frost out of the ground.  I have never seen frost do what it did to your buildings.  Makes one wonder if he should even go down that far???   Nice job of fixing up.------Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Jeff

Quote from: easymoney on June 29, 2014, 10:35:36 AM

Some of the smartest friends I have ever had come from or are from the south, but clearly there are a handful down there, and I ain't naming names, that some how have an inferiority complex that I simply do not understand.  My post certainly was not meant to belittle anyone, but to simply show something I find interesting, that I thought you might find interesting, and never have had a chance to observe.

LeeB

Tornados and Hurricanes pull our building out of the ground. There's usually not much left of them to fix after that. Even  so, I'll stick to the warmer climes. I'm just not a cold temp person.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

I've never seen frost heave like that, except for the pictures of isawlogs swimming pool.   :o
Say when

red oaks lumber

frost is some crazy stuff, every year more rocks get pushed to the surface in the fields. i fill my posts with pea gravel allowing the earth to rise and fall witthout moving the post. my water lines at the farm are buried a 9 feet underground , this spring for about 2 days slush was flowing out when i first turned the water on.the line runs under the driveway,that was real close to freeze up.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on June 29, 2014, 12:50:39 PM

Some of the smartest friends I have ever had come from or are from the south.......

Well I appreciate that Jeff. That means a lot.  ;D

Us Southern Boys likes you too!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Corley5

In mid winter we can shovel the snow off a spot in a field and dig a hole.  There's zero frost.  Even if the ground freezes before we get snow cover it'll thaw quite fast once it's covered.  The issue is the bare ground under a roof  ;D :)  Not only was the winter very cold but we had an extremely wet fall that turned to a cold winter earlier than in recent history so there was lots of moisture in the ground to freeze and expand. 
  Our codes in this county call for 48" deep footers.  In 1995 MDOT did some core drilling in late February on US23 east of Cheboygan.  The frost was 29' deep in the road bed. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

StimW

It's all that Global Warming!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

kczbest

Thanks for sharing this Jeff. As a home builder I am definitely glad we don't have to deal with that down here!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Seaman

Jeff, that is wild! I have always wanted to spend one winter where it gets really cold, just to see it. Thanks for the photos.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

isawlogs

Quote from: Seaman on July 04, 2014, 06:53:05 AM
Jeff, that is wild! I have always wanted to spend one winter where it gets really cold, just to see it. Thanks for the photos.
Frank

You're more then welcomed to come on up and shovel all the snow your heart desires, all the cold your fingers, toes, cheeks and what ever else you think can get cold, then you can keep the fire going in the furnace till you thaw.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!