iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What can I do with these short oak logs?

Started by bdecker1992, June 30, 2014, 07:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdecker1992

I picked these up for free from a guy who chopped his tree down. He says they're white oak. It almost seems like a shame to burn them. What can be done with these? Or do people generally not want them this short?

VictorH

Hi there bdecker1992 and welcome to the forum!!  In your post there are no pictures (we likes pics) or a description of the log lengths and diameters.  Do you have a mill and are you wondering if it's worth the effort to mill them or are you wondering if they have a value to someone as is?

bdecker1992

It won't let me upload a picture off my iphone unfortunately. But I have 9 total logs. One is 3 ft wide and 2 feet thick. And the rest are about 2 feet wide and 2 feet thick. If someone else had interest in them id sell them to them. Or if there are crafts I can make with basic tools I would. Would a lumber mill cut them for me?

Magicman

Hello bdecker1992, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Diameter and length are generally the measurements used to describe log sizes. 

I sawed some "firewood size logs" for a customer last week.  $135 seemed steep for 2" & 3" length "boards" but he was happy.  I have no idea what his building intentions are.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bdecker1992

Who would I try to sell them too? Like an Amish place that does wood work? Or put an ad on Craigslist?

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

Welcome to the forum bdecker. I don't think you are very likely to be able to sell them as anything other than firewood. They're just too short. Milling them would be time consuming due to the short lengths and most mills will not mess with them. If they do, they would likely charge a high price to do it by the hour. Add drying time and handling issues to the pot and it just is not economical to try and make lumber from this unless it has some sentimental value to you. If you really want to try and make something from them, research green wood furniture making and try your skills at hand splitting and processing into projects that way.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Den Socling

They would might be good for somebody making rail or stair parts but you better get the ends sealed.

Ianab

QuoteOr if there are crafts I can make with basic tools I would

Blocks of wood like that are probably best worked by Riving (Splitting) out boards.

Like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxpZA27a2Do
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Darrel

Are you serious about using a Lucas Mill?  I don't get it.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Darrel

Now I hear audio to something that sounds right but see nothing.

Sumpthin ain't right
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ianab

Quote from: Darrel on July 03, 2014, 12:58:49 AM
Now I hear audio to something that sounds right but see nothing.

Sumpthin ain't right

Should be a YouTube clip of an older guy using a froe to split off pieces of wood for a chair he's making.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

It might be a good project for your little Peterson mill, Ian.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

Quote from: LeeB on July 03, 2014, 06:42:49 AM
It might be a good project for your little Peterson mill, Ian.  :D

Oh, I've sawn 2ft long "logs" before   :D

Not something you would charge by the bd/ft of course. ;) But it can be done.

Got a stack of nice little 2 ft Walnut boards sawn from "Firewood". Use them for making little jewellery boxes etc.

Buddyw

Find a heavy equipment dealership or a mechanic , we are always blocking up equipment while working on them.
Sizes 4"x6"x24" , 6"x6"x24" ,  7"x9"x24" ,  12"x12"x24" , 24"x24"x24" .  Anything in these sizes will work or go ask what their needs would be.
I have actually bought new white oak RR ties and cut them for cribbing blocks, they last for years.
Not no more !  I have my own mill now !  ;D

r.man

If you are doing the milling yourself and the quality is good it would make an interesting story about a small woodworking project. I was once shown a very nice chest of drawers that was made from lumber sawn from a very short log that was getting thrown away before it was saved by the sawyer/cabinetmaker.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

shelbycharger400

Unless its something special its not worth cutting if is less than 4ft long.  Special being big oak cherry walnut hard maple ect.    Pine. Forget it.  Unless your cutting cookies.   Fast rip hardwood into turning stock.

Den Socling

Like I said Shelby also says, rail or stair parts. Look to a turner.

CHARLIE

Woodturners would love to have that wood. Especially if you have sealed the ends with Anchorseal so they won't split.  Do a search on the American Association of Woodturners for a Club (Chapter) in your area and give them a call.  http://www.woodturner.org/search/custom.asp?id=1509
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Busy Beaver Lumber

bdecker1992

Welcome to the forum.

A good ad on craigslist in the Arts and crafts category should help you sell those boards quick

I have a very good market for short boards of all thicknesses with wood workers and crafters. A lot of them like the shorter boards because they are easy to transport and easy to handle. Most comment that if they had 8 foot long boards, they would just be cutting them to a shorter length anyway for the projects they build.

I even take 2 to 3 foot long sawmill cutoffs and sell them, even if they have cracks or some defects in them. I get them extremely cheap and my "Buck a Board Sales" go over very well. I have sold many pick-up trucks of wood that were in the 2 to 3 foot long range at quite a profit.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!