iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pacific NW Travels

Started by Magicman, July 19, 2014, 08:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Huntz here, no corn syrup.  8)  ;D

Looks like some good eaten there and lots of good times on your journey.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

terrifictimbersllc

Not seein any grits but trusting you're having a great time anyway.   :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brucer

More food ...

A little update on the menu: fresh Coho salmon done on the grill, Greek salad with all the ingredients from our garden (except the olives), marjoram potatoes with locally grown organic potatoes and marjoram from our garden. The garlic toast got a little overdone (nothing to do with Pat & Barb chatting away in the kitchen while it was under the grill ;)).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gadrock

Do you pronounce that "sam-mon" or say "sal-mon"?

Something about being country, as I can leave the country but the "country" stays in me.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Brucer

There's no "L" in salmon :D :D.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brucer

Since they are on vacation, not producing a travelogue, here's an update on their travels.

Barb & I are especially lucky that we live only 5 minutes off the route Pat & Lynn were taking into the US. They arrived early yesterday afternoon and we had a wonderful visit. Barb persuaded them to stay for dinner (Lynn didn't want to impose, Barb announced the menu, decision made :D :D) and we did some more visiting. They spent the night here and headed off for the border just after 8:00 AM.

But did it really happen? Or did I just post a picture of some food and make up the rest? No pictures, it didn't happen, isn't that the rule?

Lynn took the mandatory group picture, because he figured out how to use the timer on his camera before Barb figured hers out. (Well, he got it figured out on the second try anyway :D.) Actually, Barb, Pat, and I voted against the group picture but Lynn over-ruled us with the "Forestry Forum Veto". You'll have to wait until he posts it to see that shot. So will I. (I wonder if there's a reason no one let me see it :-\).

I confess, we talked about some of you behind your backs (if you were facing South) but nothing bad was said about anyone :D. Warning to David, though. I think Lynn has figured out a way to get your goat ;D.

Brucer

Here's some travel trivia.

When Lynn phoned to say they were on their way, they were waiting for the ferry at Shelter Bay south of Revelstoke.  Originally the inland ferries were part of the Ministry of Highways; they crossed waterways where building a bridge would be too expensive. Because they were part of the highway system, the ferries were free. The inland ferry service has since been privatized but it is subsidized by the government and is still free to travelers.

ashes

I would love to meet you magicman when you are in the Redwood region if you get this. I'm in Rio Dell CA and in close proximity to the Redwood Parks.

sawguy21

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 24, 2014, 07:59:09 PM
Not seein any grits but trusting you're having a great time anyway.   :)
Grits are virtually unknown here, Denny's restaurants offer them but they are likely instant and pretty much tasteless. Lynn, you traveled through some spectacular scenery  in south east BC. Looking forward to your pictures.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill Gaiche

Ashes, came thru your area this week down 101. Beautiful country. bg

ashes

Bill, I hope you enjoyed your time. It is a beautiful part of the world here. I am fortunate to have landed a job in such a great place. Its rough country for woods work, but I love it.

backwoods sawyer

We were headed north on I-5 getting the boy kid some drive time on his permit and to pick up a lost set of mill keys. We were about to Eugene when I got a suprize call from Magicman. He was south of us 90 miles in Roseburg and headed on to the redwoods.
So we missed out on conecting :( :(

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Just a quick update while I have WiFi.  We are at Donner Pass and still in Calif.  Sadly we have missed seeing several FF members and as backwoods sawyer just said, I should have called him from Eugene and we  could have met at an interstate exit somewhere.  :(  I called @captain_crunch several times, but no answer.  The time of day has prohibited seeing several FF Friends.  Since we are traveling "by the seat of our pants" without any specific destination or schedule, we also turned South a couple of times and missed seeing folks.

I have (too) many pictures but the laptop is not indexing them (they are all jumbled up) so it is going to take some time to find and upload some of them.

Tahoe tomorrow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

MM,

I hope you took the old highway 40 and did the scenic route!  Quite a view from above Donner Lake.  You were within a few miles of my cabin property!  Where are you going in Tahoe?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Left Coast Chris

You must have came through Redding and Anderson today or yesterday!   We are just three or four min off of the freeway by the river.   Wish we could have connected.   You caught the cooler days just after the rain thankfully.  The valley is supposed to be heating up again in a few days.    Watch out for the one armed bandits in Tahoe.   
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Magicman

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on September 29, 2014, 11:02:42 PMWatch out for the one armed bandits in Tahoe.
No danger of the "Bandits" getting to me.  We bought a shirt in K Mart and a box of Raisin Bran in Safeway.   :D

We have now headed East on Hwy. 50, and are stopping in Fallon for the night.  I am gonna try to figure out how to get the pictures on the SD card to index on the PC.

Tahoe holds a special memory for us because our oldest Daughter made the 100 mile bicycle ride in ~2007 for the Lymphoma Foundation.  She had to raise over $1000 to be able to participate and we were there to watch her ride and cross that 100 mile finish line.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I created a new file on the laptop and indexed the pictures.  ;D

Our visit with @hardtailjohn began with an introduction to the Clydesdales.  :)

I do not remember the names, but that black guy was HUGE.
Next we made a tour of John's shop and saw the carriages and sleds that he and Kate are restoring.

Here is the circle mill that he has and is setting the foundation for.
Next we had an enjoyable lunch, moved cattle from one pasture to another, and then it was time to harness the Clydesdales for a ride.

John and Kate harness the second horse while Pat holds the other.

All hitched up and John works the kinks out before we climb on.

Kate drives the team as we take off.

Later John allowed me to take the reins.

Pat and I showing off John's two beautiful horses, Daisy & Lilly.  (but maybe spelled with an "ie")

Later John threw some HUGE steaks on the grill.

Our thanks to John, Kate, and John's Mom for their hospitality.  They were wonderful hosts and provided memories that we will always carry with us.   ;)

I edited a bit and added the videos.  The first is of Pat and me leading the two Clydesdale horses to the wagon.
http://youtu.be/Yl04wUmygA8

And the second is of me with the reins driving the Clydesdale team.
http://youtu.be/7gpzngjmTC8

Thanks again to John and Kate.   :)

Jeff

That big black horse reminds me of Harley!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hardtailjohn

His name is Butch....and he weighs in at about 2300# right now...he's down a couple hundred from his prime.  Lynn did a great job of driving...in fact the girls worked better for him than they did for me!
Lynn and Pat, the pleasure was ours!!  We always have fun having wonderful people visit, and you two sure fit that bill!! We hope to see you again!
Poston, those steaks came from one of my wife's "favorite" steers.... she says they taste better every time she thinks about fixing the fences he tore down!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Magicman

When we left hardtailjohn's place we entered Alberta, Canada.  We drove to Banff and spent the night before heading North.

We saw several "overpasses" for elk migration.

Pat and I at Lake Louise.

The Columbia Icefields.

One of many waterfalls that we have seen.

A mountaintop sticking through a cloud.

An upside down picture.

We found Pat's Street in Jasper.  :)

We found Poston's Mom, two Brothers, and his baby Sister grazing along the roadside.

sawguy21

:D :D I know that road well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

After visiting with Paul_H and Carla in Revelstoke, we turned South toward Rossland for a visit with @Brucer and Barb. 

On the way we had to take a ride on a ferry.

Two Forestry Forum Friends meet.

Barb prepared a wonderful meal that Bruce described above and here is the group picture.

Barb gave us a jar of Raspberry and Huckleberry jam that we began enjoying the very next morning.

Thank you Bruce and Barb for your wonderful hospitality.  Our visit with you was very nice but much too short. 

Thank You Sponsors!