The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Sometimes you wonder if it's worth it!  (Read 1051 times)

Offline rooster 58

• Senior Member x2
  • GRIZ, the sawmill mgr.
    • Share Post
Sometimes you wonder if it's worth it!
« on: July 25, 2014, 06:06:30 AM »
Last evening, I went down over the hill with my 460 and firewood permit. I went to a spot that had some blow down cherry and maple, but there was a guy camping there. Not wanting to disturb him, I went to another spot. There was a standing dead cherry near a well pad so I cut it down and pulled it out to where I could process it. After loading it I thought of another log thatwould top off my load.

As I was going back up the hill, I got not one but two flat tires on the driver's side :snowball: I had to change one flat, then walked a mile to the top of the hill to be able to call a friend to bring another spare :( The rear tire was completely blown out and ruined. The front tire I'll find out about today. The funny thing is, I made sure I had my phone when I left, telling myself "you never know".

Sometimes I think I'd be better off to just use more propane, or buy a load of poles and process them in my yard ;)

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Sometimes you wonder if it's worth it!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:21:29 AM »
Just think bout all the fun you would miss out of if you did that
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline Leigh Family Farm

• Live life the way you want. You only get one.
    • Share Post
    • Isagenix
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
And I wouldn't have an interesting story to read while at work!  :D ;) :)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 12:27:32 PM »
When I lived "out in the country" we had 5.5 acres but it was horse property - I had already cleaned up and burned what firewood I could the first two years.  So my buddy and I get our firewood permits and head out, each in our little trucks to get our "free" 1/3 to 1/2 cord we could carry. 

First time out, we follow the map for miles in the back country.  We load up after a long morning's hard work - and I have a flat.  OK, the tire was low on tread and I hit a sharp rock.  My buddy gets a broken windshield.

Next time we go out, again a long back country ride, I'm scouting a steep hill (above the trucks) for downed oak.  About 30' away, I see some bees flying in and out of the base of a dead tree.  I start to walk around and they come after me - Yellow Jackets!  I get stung a number of times and then realize - as I was running down the hill at breakneck speed, my nice watch I stuffed in my pocket fell out somewhere.  I looked around for quite some time but never found it.  My elbow swelled up a bit and was sore for a week.

So, for me, new tire - $130, new watch - $200 (it was a really nice one), "Free" firewood - priceless.  We had an inside joke for years - "...But it was a nice day for a drive"  :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ST Ranch

• Full Member x2
  • Outside of a horse is good for the inside of man
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
For me, firewood is only cheap because I can get it in conjunction with other activities that I do - I always have a power-saw in the truck and any time I am in the bush and see an easy firewood log, I usually take 15-20 minutes and get a small load. Same thing at the ranch - I usually get firewood in the winter when/as I return from dumping shavings/waste from cleaning the barn.  On occasion, if I run across a good patch of blowdown in my travels that is not too far from home, I may get my dump trailer and take 1/2 a day or so to go get a good load.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Offline glassman_48

• 1-231-258-4246-work/ed/231-564-2672/cell
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
rooster58,
A bunch of my friends have had similar stories, I told them I was thinking about getting a mobile firewood processor.  I got so much positive feedback that I went ahead and made the plunge.  Now I have a second business that wont stop.  I tried going in the woods and throwing log lengths into a dump trailer, it ended up being cheaper to just buy a semi load.  I got a buzz rig and log splitter before I got my processor and loved coming home from work and doing an hours worth of wood or so.  Probably 30 years ago my dad and I cut a 40" dead elm got the vehicle way way back and tried to drop it parallel to the 2 track we were on.  Wasnt quite parallel  :-[ :-[ it took us 3 hours just to clear the 2 track didnt have to cut much more wood than that tree that year. 

Offline clww

• Senior Member x2
  • Oh yeah? Watch this!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
Ah, what great memories you'll look back on....in 20 years. ;D
Some days you're the windshield, while other days the bug. ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver for CFI

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What's it worth?

Started by Tom Sawyer on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 12:24:55 PM
by sawmill_john
xx
Is Elm worth it?

Started by Osric on Drying and Processing

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 09:09:00 AM
by Dodgy Loner