iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My husky 22 ton splitter blew the engine!

Started by logman81, July 25, 2014, 07:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Had a fun day yesterday, got to my wood lot cut some logs up into blocks for the wife to start splitting. Wife started up the splitter and I could hear that it was running a little funny speeding up and slowing down. She split about three logs and that was all she wrote! I knew it was going to go at some point it was using a lot of oil during operation. Tried to re start it and no compression at all so my guess is the rings on the piston got fried. Had plenty of oil and just changed it a week ago. Got a little over a year out of it. So I went and bought a new horizontal engine to replace it. Had to change things around a little and make a new mount for it but well worth it. This engine has a bigger gas tank and a little more cc's so it's a win win. I got the extended warranty for this motor!
Precision Firewood & Logging

sawguy21

What engine was on it and what did you replace it with?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

redprospector

I bought a Huskee 22 ton splitter from TSC a few years ago. I had it about a year, it spent it's first 3 months in the shop. We split probably 25 or so cords with it. I got tired of messing with it and rebuilt my old Duerr 20 ton splitter that I bought in 1988, it's twice the splitter the Huskee was. I sold the Huskee to my neighbor (who insisted that he wanted it) at a deeply discounted price, just to get rid of it.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

logman81

It had the 6.75 Briggs on it total junk motor I split around fifty cords with it before it went. I replaced it with a 212cc speeco horizontal shaft engine, basically a honda copy cat.

logman81

I like the motor so far starts very easy and is very good on fuel.

Al_Smith

Don't throw the old engine away just yet .If  it's an overhead valve engine there have been reports of them hanging open the exhaust valve.I wouldn't think with just one year of usage it could wring the rings that quickly .

logman81

The old motor is in the scrap heap, it never really was a perfect running motor from the beginning. I notice they are putting kholer engines on them now and have changed the design a bit wonder why LOL!

Al_Smith

FWIW Briggs makes about at least three levels or qualities of engines .At least they used to .

Most likely whoever made that splitter for TSC used the lesser quality model .

As much as I had to admit it Honda makes a darn good engine as does Kawasaki and of course good old Kohler.Kohler makes a good toilet too but that's another subject . ;D

SPIKER

I just scrapped a couple of 1970's briggs, both ran but had no use for them, I have a 5 HP horz shaft with a gear reducer attached that I got for 5 bucks on a roof gravel spreader.   still had factory seal on the top...   Never started it lol....

The last two Sears Craftsman Garden Tractor has gong thru 2 Kolhers 26HP and both were/are junk brand new...   I sold the one for 75 bucks as a rebuild-able unit with 33 hrs on it, the other one has  80 hrs on it now and still can't cut near as good as my 20 HP Briggs.

I think overall I have had much better luck with Briggs than I have had with Kolher or Techumpse
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Oliver1655

I have a Kolher Courage 25 hp engine on my ZTR & the only problem I have had is with the starters.  I got around 200 hours on the first one & am starting to have trouble with the OEM replacement with around 230 hours on it.  I generally have the mower running for around 4 hours at a time so it is not like they have more than 75-80 starts total each.  Local mower shop who got me the replacement said this is a common fault.  Other than that the engine has done very well.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

logman81

Seems some of these engines are through away engines and not meant to last long. I'm a fan of Honda but I've had good luck with big box store engines to.

dan_the_man

I have a 25 ton vertical splitter running 13 HP Loncin (Honda copy goes well but a bit hungry) with a 13GPM pump I am looking a swaping the motor and pump for a 11 or 13 HP Diesel with a 16GPM pump to speed up the cycle time of the splitter and improve economy. Has anybody had any experience with small diesel motors and there performance in comparison to petrol.
Daniel Moore
Palmerston North Firewood
New Zealand

logman81

SlimJim

Quote from: logman81 on July 26, 2014, 12:35:44 PM
Seems some of these engines are through away engines and not meant to last long. I'm a fan of Honda but I've had good luck with big box store engines to.

Can you tell us what motor oil you were using in that motor, and what gas? Thanks, sorry for your loss ???

ed in idaho

some kohler motors are now made in china enough said

Ed

clww

My 28 ton Huskee splitter from TSC came with a Honda motor.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!