iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

- Firewood prices -

Started by BargeMonkey, July 25, 2014, 10:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xalexjx

250 a trailer load, over a full pulp cord cut split and del within 15 miles. Cant keep up with the orders. Been buying log lenght for 110 a cord del. but having a hard time getting it. going through a tractor trailer load a week.
Logging and Processed Firewood

David-L

I am now getting $80/cord for 12' wood at the landing by a guy who picks it up with a small log truck that carries 5 cords/load. I am thinking this is fair for both of us. BlackBirch, white oak, red oak,maple,ash.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Firewood dealer

I know a bunch of dealers and we are all in the same boat. Can't get wood. We can eat up a wheeler load a day (8 cd.) if we could get our hands on it. I am paying 125-130 for tree length and selling retail for 240 green 340 k.d. I am also trying to work a hardwood lot to help supply the beast but with 11.5" of rain here so far this month, well lets say it isn't working out to good.

snowstorm

that 11.5" of rain dosent count today dose it? got a lot here today

Firewood dealer

That is it for right this minute. LOL. Looks to be another band coming through in about an hour or so.

tj240

this is for timberlinetree and bill m from mass, finch paper is paying more than that for pulp at your distance with the mileage bonus you might make out better
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

David-L

firewood dealer, is that 120-130$ trucked in or at the landing.

David
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Firewood dealer

36 coupe

Quote from: beenthere on July 26, 2014, 10:33:43 AM
QuoteThey are face cords, not full cords.

Something just not right about saying cord, and not clarifying it to say "face cord" when it really is a face cord, and not a cord. Much like saying poplar when meaning (or not) yellow poplar or tulip poplar.   (end of rant  :) )

Likely why states have tried to correct this with standard units of measure.  ;)
Face cord is not used in Maine.Odd term.Every thing seems to short measure now.Could you call a quart of milk a face gallon?

BargeMonkey

It just burns my a$$ when you have to deal with stupid people on the retail end for firewood. If you can get it 10.00 cheaper from "xyz" on craigslist why do you waste our secretary's time calling. The state has gotten increasingly better about paying, but like any government organization its still a circus. We must do 50+ cord where the people are putting the last stick in the stove and expect us to drop everything and bring wood first thing on a sunday morning. Ive been watching my competition's woodpile and I think this year there isnt going to be alot of extra wood to be had.

240b

i told the guy buying my processsor wood 110+ trking this week and heard another guy is paying 125+ trking in the same area. Not much wood to be had, hope it keeps raining. The log market is weird too. did all the other loggers go out? the forester told me alot of guys don't have work, and I see alot of equipment sitting rusty in peoples yards..

luvmexfood

Face cord is not used in Maine.Odd term.Every thing seems to short measure now.Could you call a quart of milk a face gallon?

Ha.. Thats a good one. I love it. Here in Virginia they passed a law a couple of years back that you could only sell wood by either the cord or number of cubic feet.

I agree with it. Still see wood all the time advertised by the p/u load. Now. What size pick-up, is it leveled at the top or is there a graveyard hump? Sadly it is a law that is not inforced.

Someone can show up with a load on a shortbed pickup bed level advertised as a pickup load for $60.00 and someone advertises for a pickup load, long bed with a slight hump for good measure for $70.00. Same description but an entirely different amount of wood.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Firewoodjoe

Sounds the same everywhere. Can't get it here and the price has gone up. Even the pulp mill is paying us more because they don't have enough. And yeah we sell it by the face cord. If you advertised $200 a cord you wouldn't get a call. And we specifie the "face" is 4x8 and 16" wood. Works here. I wish I had 1,000 cord right now!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: 240b on July 29, 2014, 08:25:57 PM
i told the guy buying my processsor wood 110+ trking this week and heard another guy is paying 125+ trking in the same area. Not much wood to be had, hope it keeps raining. The log market is weird too. did all the other loggers go out? the forester told me alot of guys don't have work, and I see alot of equipment sitting rusty in peoples yards..
My father had a call from a logger we know up north last week, wanting to know about coming down and knocking out a few woodlots for us at a reduced rate just to stay busy. Ive heard alot of guys crying about wood, I think its area specific.

terry f

I'm still missing the whole face cord thing, it just seems like a way of sounding like you cut more wood than you did. No one who cut ten cord of wood, would brag about cutting 20 half cords, or 40 quarter cords, but wow, 30 face cords, that's a lot of wood.

jwilly3879

I've lived in the Adirondacks for over 40 years and face cord has always been the measure of firewood in this area. The "standard" face cord seems to be 16" wood stacked 4' high by 8' long. It is not recognized by weight and measures as a unit of sale, they prefer 1/3 cord.

I believe it came into being as a measure of how much work was done to produce the wood. There is less work involved cutting a cord of 48" wood than a cord of 12" stove wood, 4x as many pieces in a cord of 12" wood.

Firewoodjoe

I don't understand what difference it makes. My main consern is that my customer base and I are on the same page. I'll sell it anyway they want it.

thechknhwk

It's 150-165 for a full cord here, cut to 16" length, split, and delivered.  I wish I could get 200!

Firewoodjoe

I hear you! I don't understand why ours here in michigan is so cheap

jwilly3879

16" wood $85-$100 per face cord 1 year seasoned wood here or for the full cord guys $255-$300 per cord.

tj240

the most we pay is 250 a 7 cord load but that is only delivered about 20 miles. keep the customer happy they keep you happy, price goes a little every year but they still want it. log on, stay safe!!!!!!!!!
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

xalexjx

Quote from: tj240 on July 30, 2014, 09:14:15 PM
the most we pay is 250 a 7 cord load but that is only delivered about 20 miles. keep the customer happy they keep you happy, price goes a little every year but they still want it. log on, stay safe!!!!!!!!!

are you talking a cut and split load by the face cord? If so your giving it away for that.
Logging and Processed Firewood

loggah

250.00 here for full cord green!!! 300.00 and over for seasoned. The hardwood market here is pretty high right now,firewood is hard to get. red oak pallet wood right now is $400@M !!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

jwilly3879

No split wood for Williams Timber Harvesting, except for my own house.

36 coupe

Face cord is a cheaters term.My 8 foot pickup will haul 1/2 cord.I used to buy oak edgings from a pipe rack.The rack was a half cord.I could load from the big pile and get a half cord every time.A load made the 77 chevy grunt on hills.It was as a 3/4 ton.Salt killed a good truck.A half cord of sawed hardwood will weigh a ton.

Thank You Sponsors!