iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame workshop in Georgia -- Who's interested?

Started by danreed76, August 02, 2014, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

A while back, I had posted about the possibility of hosting a timber framing workshop in Georgia as we get started on the frame for our new home.  Due to the distractions of construction and not really having a place to work out of the elements, we ended up letting the workshop go by the wayside.  Now that I'm done playing in the dirt, I owe it to my wife to place a house on top of the foundation.

To get things started on the right track, I've been in contact with Mr. Jim Rogers, who has agreed that if we have enough interest and can find dates that work, he will make the trek down to teach us the art of timber framing.

The workshop (tentatively 5 days) will be held at our new home site near Newnan, GA (about an hour South of Atlanta).  We'll be out of the elements under the roof of the pole barn, where we'll learn hands-on the proper layout and cutting of joinery... and maybe even be able to find an imperfect timber in the stack to learn how to work through difficulties in layout.  As this is quite a distance for Mr. Jim to travel, we'll ask for a minimum of a 3-day commitment from each student.

Food during the workshop hours will be provided, with a guarantee for a barbecue and a campfire at least one evening, and the possibility of a wayward homebrew after school.  We have plenty of room for campers, and numerous hotels nearby.

I'll throw some potential dates out there shortly; but in the meantime, lets start getting a count of who's interested.

Dan

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

scsmith42

Having just hosted a Jim Rogers timberframe class, I can heartily recommend one of his classes to anybody interested in learning the craft of timber framing.

Jim has over 15 years of experience, has trained under both Jack Sobon as well as Steve Chappell, and is an excellent instructor.

One of the things that impressed me the most with his teaching is that he will teach you several different ways to craft the joinery, based upon the tools and equipment at your disposal.  He also brings a great selection of reasonably priced timberframing tools with him to the class, so you can stock up at the same time.

If you're thinking about learning how to craft a timberframe, I heartily recommend one of Jim's classes.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

MattJ

I second Scott's comments. The class was an amazing amount of learning in just five days and a lot of fun.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

FalconFan

danreed76

It'd be great to have you Falcon Fan.  Hopefully we'll have some potential dates up soon.

BTW, How's the thinning/planting on your grandfather's place coming along?
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

bushhog920

About time something happens close to home, If I can get away from work I'll try to make it. Enjoyed working with jim before look forward to doing it again.

FalconFan

Quote from: danreed76 on August 04, 2014, 10:21:53 PM
It'd be great to have you Falcon Fan.  Hopefully we'll have some potential dates up soon.

BTW, How's the thinning/planting on your grandfather's place coming along?

Havent started yet, too hot and humid!  I should be starting later in the month and I will also be gathering up some black walnuts to try and grow from seed (my thumb is not very green though so my hopes arent too high!).  On a timber framing note I should be getting my first chisel and slick in the mail this week!

Jim_Rogers

I haven't confirmed with Dan yet but we're talking about the week of the 17th of November.

How does that look to everyone?

Jim Rogers

danreed76

Sorry for the slow feedback guys.  I'm just waiting on some feedback from the Chief Domestic Officer on the dates. 

-Dan

danreed76

Hi Gents:

Quick update --  got 6 (possibly 7) interested.  If the week of 17 November works for y'all, drop me a PM.  Also, let me know your email address and I'll put together a mailing list to send out the final details.

Dan

Just in case, I sent Jim an email with some alternative dates.  We'll see what everyone's availability looks like and go from there.

ljmathias

Doesn't look like my class is going to make this semester (unlike regular professors, a retired one like me teaching can only teach if a minimum number of paying customers sign up- same as for Jim coming down).  I'd love to come but as I mentioned, being retired changes things, like income stream.  I'd be willing to help Jim out in exchange for attending, maybe bring my big Mafall circular saw, my chain mortiser and my 12" planar to move things along?  Can't say I'm expert enough at timberframing yet to teach, but I have extra chisels and mallets... just a thought, and no hard feelings if the answer is no thanks...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

danreed76

Quick update gents:

After some more conversation with Jim, the workshop is slated for 17 November.  I've got several folk's contact information and emails, but if you're interested and haven't gotten in touch yet with me or Jim, let me know.  I'll be putting the details together and sending them out to all those who have contacted me so far, but here's the basics:

-November 17-21, 2014 in Sharpsburg, GA
-Jim Rogers will be instructing, and I believe bringing an assortment of tools for sale
-Lunch will be provided each day, and weather dependent we will plan at least one campfire and barbecue
-Each student will be asked for a minimum commitment of 3 days
-Students will be responsible for their own hand tools at a minimum.

I'll get the fine-tuned details out to those who have inquired shortly.  Looking forward to it, gents!

danreed76

So far we've got 7 interested who I've sent the workshop info to (let me know if you haven't received it).

Got a few folks that the dates haven't worked out for, and had some inquiries into alternative dates.  If the dates that we have scheduled don't allow for enough attendees to justify the workshop, then we'll have to discuss rescheduling.

Couple of folks inquired about rain dates -- We've not planned rain dates as we have a barn to work in and should't be impacted too much by any weather that's typical for our area.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

danreed76

There is a per-day student fee for the workshop, primarily to offset the instructor's fees and expenses.  Drop me a PM or email with your contact info and I'll email out the the information to anyone interested.

Dan

woodworker9

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Blueflyz

MelC

Just sent the PM, my wife and I are both interestd - and I am free those days (and can stay a week).

Jim_Rogers

Welcome, Mel.
I know that Dan sometimes doesn't get to the computer for a week or so. He can be out for a while and may not see your pm or my email about this or your posted message until the weekend.

Jim Rogers

danreed76

Hi folks:

Just now catching up on emails and such as I don't have internet capabilities out at the new place (yet...).  by the time the workshop rolls around, we should have full wifi broadband super-ish high speed internet out there (maybe).  Anyhow, I just sent out a pile of emails and responses to PMs. Glad to see such a good response.  Hope to see a bunch of y'all down here in Georgia soon!

If you're planning on or thinking of attending, let me know, as we're trying to work out a discount at a local hotel for those that need it. 

Dan

sstuartjones

TimberKing 1600, Stihl 311, 71 Mach-1(just for fun)

sstuartjones

Quote from: sstuartjones on October 15, 2014, 01:12:52 PM
awesome, i am interested in attending e-mail sstuartjones@gmail for sending info - Hawkinsville Georgia
TimberKing 1600, Stihl 311, 71 Mach-1(just for fun)

danreed76

Just a reminder, folks, we're getting closer to the workshop.  We've had a good amount of inquiries, but we need to make sure we have enough participants to draw Jim down from New England for the week.  If you're planning to come out or have any questions, give Jim or myself a shout.

Blueflyz

Jim_Rogers

danreed76

Hi All:

Just found out from Mel that they'll be staying at the "Super 8" motel for the workshop, and they were able to get a great deal on their stay by calling the hotel directly and asking for the weekly rate which is $230.

Dan

woodworker9

I was really hoping to make this, but unfortunately, that week is just a horrible one for me.  I've got a big contract of mudjacking work, and that week is the only week that works for the customer......hoping seriously to make one of these sometime in the next year.

Have fun, guys, and hope the weather is good for you.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

MelC

Hi Everyone, well my wife and I both sent our registration in a week or so ago.

I looking forward to seeing everyone, and I have been in regular contact with Dan. I am posting this emails with Dan's permission as he does not have good web access today.

Here is some Motel info I found when calling around this week:

Near the site (around 10 minutes or so) of the workshop is a Super 8 and if you call them direct you can request a "weekly rate" which they have - its only $230 for 7 days! A low weekly rate like this really makes this a very affordable week for a weekly workshop. We plan on arriving on Saturday before the workshop and leaving the following Saturday. You need to call this Super 8 in Newnan Georgia direct at 1-770-683-0089. We stay at Super 8 Motels all over the company and they are pretty nice with really good rates (and have continental breakfast, etc.).

Hope to see everyone there.

Mel

Jim_Rogers

bushhog920

danreed76

Good Morning, All:

As far as camping, we can accommodate 1 or 2 rv's or trailers long as you don't need a 50 amp hookup... I've got an extra 30 amp and 20 amp, and we have water connections.  Your holding tanks have to be able to endure your stay (not a problem for most folks) as we're not supposed to make deposits in the septic tank yet as the inspection isn't closed out.

We have plenty of room for tent campers as well, but we don't have any showers on site (and the creek runs rather shallow and cold that time of year).  We do have plenty of water, and even somewhere we can provide privacy, but no hot water (which in mid to late november tends to be desirable).

danreed76

Just quick update to answer a couple of questions that have been asked by multiple folks.  Figured it's easier to post the answers here than to send multiple emails...

We'll have a sharpening station set up, so everyone can keep their chisels sharp; if you're not confident in how to sharpen a chisel, I'm sure either Jim or myself can help you out.

Odds are we'll get to learn a bit about dealing with imperfect timbers.... Hey, I had to learn to saw, too ;D

I will have the sawmill set up (rarely gets taken down).  If we find time that doesn't detract from Jim's planned instruction (there's always after-hours or an early start) we can fire it up and go over how we select a log for a given timber, as well as getting to the timber you desire.  We don't plan to spend a lot of time on milling, but happy to do a quick demo.

I do have power tools on site (skill saw, chain mortiser, drills, beam saw).  If you have your own favorites, you're more than welcome to bring them, but shouldn't be necessary.

The area that we'll be working in is under roof, but not walled or heated.  Weather in GA in November can go either way... I'd say be prepared to dress in layers (could be 40 in the morning and 80 at lunch).

It sounds like we have a good potential group coming together (some folks still teetering on the fence).

Looking forward to it.

-Dan

Jim_Rogers

Blueflyz

How many people do we have committed to showing up?

danreed76

Quote from: Blueflyz on November 06, 2014, 06:10:04 PM
How many people do we have committed to showing up?

Right now it looks like we have 4 commitments.  A few folks still trying to see if their schedules will work with it.

danreed76

Hey folks... been out at the farm getting caught up on some things and trying to get ready for the workshop (ever had a computer "glitch" totally screw up a drawing at a very inopportune moment?)  Anyhow, to answer a few questions that came in the last day or so....
1.  The workshop is definitely a GO! 8) 8)
2.  The weather forecast (which is again eerily consistent with the farmers' almanac) says cold and wet various times throughout the week with spots of dry and cool scattered in between frozen mornings and balmy afternoons.  Please dress accordingly ;D  We will have shelter and a portable heater for everyone's comfort.
3.  If you haven't already registered, we'd still be happy to see you.  Just give us a heads up if you can, and PM or email me for the address.  I can't bring myself to put the address on a publicly available forum... cause I'm just weird that way.
4. There will be at least 2 couples and participating.... of course ladies are welcome to bring their husbands!!
5.  Lunch will be served every day, dinner at least one day (we'll take the liberty of picking which one), and a bonfire/social time one evening.... (BYOB)
6.  If you're hanging on the edge and won't know until the last minute that you can make it.... Come on!  We'll make a spot for you to work and learn along side us!
7.  I do believe Jim is planning to have some vintage tools available for sale.  If you want to swing by and see Jim and visit with other FF members, we'd love to see ya... So as not to detract from the workshop, though... I'll have to leave the hours for such things to Jim's discretion.  At all other times the gate will be closed an guarded by a 12 year old Labrador with a long tongue and a penchant for kissing strangers.

We'll try to keep pictures up next week, but unfortunately it looks like the cable company has delayed us a bit in getting our internet out there,so I'll have to figure out how to do a lot of it on a mobile phone... 

Dan

MelC

Hi Dan and Jim,

We packing our Van and getting ready to hit the road at about 6am tomorrow (Saturday) morning. We are coming from North Carolina.

We can't wait to get there, and are ready to work come Monday morning! Again, we will be staying at the Super 8 from Saturday to Saturday in case anyone else is staying there ($230 a week). They do have a breakfast at these Super 8 (nothing huge usually, and also good coffee also). Like I said before, this makes the workshop a very affordable week.

Hope everyone has a safe trip.... and see you Monday. My wife and I are both attending so you will probably see us at the Motel as well.

Mel

Jim_Rogers

Mel:
I may have dinner plans for Sunday night, but I'll be there at the Super 8 as well.

Jim Rogers

danreed76

Hi All:

As seems to be the case more and more these days, my email is not working.  Looking forward to seeing all that are attending.  We'll get the week started monday morning with registration from 8 am to 9am, then handing the reins over to Jim. As additional folks show up, we'll catch up on registrations as time allows (currently 2 planning to be late monday or early tuesday... we'll work with ya!)

Safe travels to all. See ya soon!

Dan

Jim_Rogers

I'm here in GA, now.

Hope to see you all tomorrow morning.

Jim Rogers

Blueflyz

Great week, with a very talented teacher( and purveyor of fine antique tools), beautiful woods and general great spot for a class. Dan has an amazing family and soon to be built timber frame house! Just a few pics

danreed76

Thanks for posting the pics Blueflyz, and for the kind words.

We had an excellent week with Jim.  Hosting this workshop was a very rewarding experience and a great education for all of us.  We had the unique opportunity to learn from an experienced timber framer, as well as to gain from each others' unique experiences.

The week started off a bit wet, then cold and wet, then just cold, and finally ended up cool and crisp.  Through it all, everyone enjoyed each others' company as Jim explained and demonstrated square-rule timber framing.

We thoroughly enjoyed Jim and everyone else's company, and very much appreciate the effort put forth by all and the sharing of knowledge both instructor to student, and student to student.

I will make every effort to get some additional pictures up soon, as well as getting the class roster out to all who attended so that we can keep in touch.

At the end of the week I felt exhausted and overloaded, but was able to step back into the barn this morning and finish a rafter layout that Jim and I had started, wrap up a few unfinished odds and ends, and feel confident that we've kicked our timber framing project off in fine fashion.

To all who attended, you're welcome back any time to chisel along side us.  To all who were unable to make it, we may host some additional workshops of various formats in the future; we'll keep you posted.  For sure we look forward to seeing you all at the raising (date yet to be determined).

Dan (and the girls)

Jim_Rogers

Well, I'm back home now, and it was quite a trip.

I drove to DC and stayed with my cousin Saturday the 15th. And left her house bright and early on Sunday morning the 16th headed for GA.

I had one stop in NC to drop off a boring machine to a customer.

Then on to GA.

I stopped at Athens to meet a fellow who was giving up timber framing and wanted to sell off his tools. And we picked up some nice ones that we'll be listing soon.

Then off to Atlanta to visit with Dave and see his almost completed screen house. Just about everything is done, except the screens. Once those are done then it will be very nice to enjoy in the summer evenings.

Monday morning it was a bit wet and we had a nice pole barn building to be in. During one down pour we huddled in the tool room and still carried on talking about reference edges and crown.

I must say I had a very fine bunch of students. Some new ones and two I had met before.

Here is the group, with two missing:

From the left is "MelC" and then his lovely wife Tricia. Out hostess and host Amanda and "DanReed76". Next is "Blueflyz" or John from Savannah. Robert who travels with "Bushog920" or Matt, out of Montgomery, AL.

The two who are missing is Brooke and Mandy, Dan's two daughters. They were off "at the library" more and more each day. But they did make some nice pegs on the shaving horse:

DanReed76 has a nice place there, and soon there will be a great timber frame home for them to enjoy for many years.

It was a sincere pleasure to teach a fine group of southern gentlemen and ladies.

Jim Rogers 

danreed76

Happy Thanksgiving all!

As I look back at the past year, I truly have to add our recent timber framing workshop to our list of things to be thankful for.  Above and beyond all, we made new friends as we worked side by side making practical use of the information that Jim shared with us.  While I've gained so much knowledge from the information shared on the forum, putting blade to wood with experienced hands demonstrating and a mentor looking over your shoulder and guiding you really drives it home and fine-tunes that knowledge.

For us, one of the most important aspects of the workshop was the involvement of community; we had folks of all different age and skill levels working and learning together.  From my limited studies of timber framing, that seems to be a common thread throughout the history of the craft.

All that being said, and without further ado, here are some more pictures from the workshop.

Cleaning up timber faces with the wheel brush.  Probably not a tool I would have invested in, but I got a good price on an "unused, open box" return.  It definitely sped up the cleaning process.

Debarking the waney edges

Lessons in layout.  I'm now a big fan of the lay-flat layout tape...

As the rain tapered off and the cold worked its way in, Jim demonstrates the cutting of the first mortise.

Cleaning up some more waney edges.  These edges in a few areas, along with some twist and check in the timbers provided some challenges, but a great opportunity to learn how to overcome issues that green timbers with some natural edges create (plus maybe one or two sawyer induced challenges (hey, I had to learn somewhere!)

Every good mortise deserves a tenon!

Even though we found out early one should oversize their shaving horse a bit (if you build it "my-size" it may not be suited for longer legged (or armed) individuals, I believe Mel became the king of making left-handed pegs.  Now if he could only work on tapering them from the other end so they can be used right-handed...

Setting up to check square using the 3-4-5 method.

On fit-up day, all the careful measuring and cutting paid off with perfectly fitted joints and a square assembly.

Boring peg holes

A good fit

While we completed a good number of timbers and joints, this was the only assembly that was ready for fitup before we moved on to rafters.  The picture doesn't do it justice as it just looked monstrous laying there in the barn.  I hated to take it back apart, but it was definitely taking too much space to just lay there.

We'll likely host some additional, less formal workshops as we continue to work on the frame, which will be kind of an "open" format.  Anyone interested in joining us for these events, just send me your contact info and we'll keep ya posted.

Dan

MelC

Hi Dan, Jim, and everyone else,

Just catching up on some work after Trish and I got back to NC. It was a real pleasure to meet everyone and what a week! A big special thanks to Jim for teaching the Workshop and also Dan (and family) for hosting.

Also, a special thanks for those who took their time to help a "newbie," it was greatly appreciated.

Mel

MD11

Hello Dan and All,
I am new to the forum and just so happen to live in the Newnan GA area (recently moved to the Newnan area). I am sorry I missed out on a fantastic opportunity to learn more about this craft. My wife and I have wanted to build the Sobon house for quite a few years but having 4 kids, we deemed it was a bit small. Additionally, I did not posess the skills to cut the joinery (I still don't). Instead we bought a log home in Kentucky and raised the kids there. We would love to see the construction on your frame if not to much of an inconvenience.

danreed76

MD11:

Welcome to the Forum!  Looks like we're getting quite the gathering of neighbors here!  We'd be happy to have you by the place.  Just drop me a PM with your contact info and we'll catch up with you!

We will likely be hosting some additional "open" workshops (translates --  No charge) for folks that would like to come out and learn some basics and get their hands on some chisels if that's of interest to you as well.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Dan

MD11

Hi Dan,
That sounds great!
Thanks and looking forward to meeting you.

Thank You Sponsors!