iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stretching chains

Started by cutter88, August 21, 2014, 08:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawTroll

Quote from: Coreytroy on August 29, 2014, 10:52:25 PM
So what is the top chain brands that don't seem to stretch?

That simply isn't possible to make - heat expension and wear on/around the rivets is impossible to totally avoid.

If everything is right, it shouldn't be a real issue though. Keeping the chain sharp may be the single most important factor.  ;)
Information collector.

beenthere

Quote from: Compensation on August 30, 2014, 01:24:12 PM
So what is the best way to clean your chain if you know it hit dirt? My saw with the duro chain held up great until I loaned it out then got it back with a half inch sag.

No. 1 thing is never (never) loan a saw out... ;)

Remove the chain and rinse in gas, kerosene, fuel oil, or what ever is handy and cheap. IMO.

Sharpen and be sure the oiler is working good. Maybe even start out oiling the chain a bit. as I see it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Quote from: SawTroll on August 30, 2014, 02:08:34 PM
So what is the top chain brands that don't seem to stretch?

That simply isn't possible to make - heat expension and wear on/around the rivets is impossible to totally avoid.

If everything is right, it shouldn't be a real issue though. Keeping the Chain charp may be the single most important factor.  ;)

We should keep in mind the OP (original post) that somewhat defined what "stretching" means at least within this thread.
QuoteIv had 2 chains this month on 2 different saws stretch beyond tightening before they are Half worn out ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

I think the bar gets pulled closer towards the clutch sprocket during use because the side cover nuts won't hold all the torque that is being produced.  The chain becomes loose rather than stretched.

Al_Smith

Believe it or not I have ran chains from the time they were new until they run out of cutters to file and never took them off the bar .I didn't ever have one stretch out to the end of the take up ,never .

When I sold firewood that was tank full after tank full non stop.File in between .They would heat up and "grow" a little but they always snapped back when they cooled off .Fact at days end I would loosened the bar in anticipation that they would shrink .

bandmiller2

Sometimes you will run into a saw bar combo that needs a slightly shorter chain, if put on the saw you have very little adjustment left. Almost every time I file my chain I tighten it a little so there is no  sag but the chains not tight. A new chain will "run in" and require an adjustment soon but after that only minor tweeking. I find hard dead standing wood to be very hard on a chain cutting edge and rivet wear. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

HolmenTree

I tend to buy Carlton or a cheaper brand, but no matter what brand chain I have used, all seem to exceed the chain adjuster length by being too long.

From what I have read some of you guys cut for weeks/months day in day out, but get literally about 4hrs cutting till the chain gets too long for the bar.

I think you may have one or two many DLin your chain loop for your bar.

When you you break in a brand new chain no matter whether it's Oregon or Stihl, you have to cut small diameter wood,  I cut brush , delimb a tree or cut cookies off a 4 inch diameter or so stick. Only takes a minute of steady cutting.

Never cut into a large log with a brand new chain for the first time.
I was taught that 40 years ago by some of the top saw chain field engineers and reps. Doing this I never had a stretching problem.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Coreytroy

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 30, 2014, 11:03:28 PM

I tend to buy Carlton or a cheaper brand, but no matter what brand chain I have used, all seem to exceed the chain adjuster length by being too long.

From what I have read some of you guys cut for weeks/months day in day out, but get literally about 4hrs cutting till the chain gets too long for the bar.

I think you may have one or two many DLin your chain loop for your bar.
I normally buy a bar and chain combo, so incorrect chain length shouldn't be an issue.

I am only running a 16" bar on a MS380 though.

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on August 30, 2014, 03:09:00 PM

We should keep in mind the OP (original post) that somewhat defined what "stretching" means at least within this thread.
QuoteIv had 2 chains this month on 2 different saws stretch beyond tightening before they are Half worn out ???

??? I don't understand why you posted that, as I don't think this thread ever went off topic?
Information collector.

John Mc

Quote from: Coreytroy on August 31, 2014, 04:35:46 AM
I normally buy a bar and chain combo, so incorrect chain length shouldn't be an issue.

Are you replacing your bar with every chain?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Coreytroy

Quote from: John Mc on August 31, 2014, 01:21:53 PM

Mostly, but not always. Why?

SawTroll

Quote from: Coreytroy on September 02, 2014, 04:20:13 AM
Quote from: John Mc on August 31, 2014, 01:21:53 PM

Mostly, but not always. Why?

A bar should outlast at least 4 chains with proper maintenanse (flipping over and removing "wire edges") - usually they last (much) more.
Information collector.

beenthere

Agree with SawTroll...  8)
south central Wisconsin

John Mc

If you are using 1 bar per chain (and the bar really is worn out), you may not be getting enough oil on the bar. Not only will this wear the bar more quickly, you can overheat the bar, destroying its temper. This means the rails on the edge of the bar are going to be soft, and wear more quickly even if you do have enough oil in the future.

Another possibility is that you may be letting your chain get too dull. Duller chain means you need more pressure to cut, which wears the bar faster (and is harder on you, the chain, the bar and the engine).

A last thought could be a badly worn drive sprocket - this could affect the chain, which in turn will affect the bar.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on in your case, but with some more information, we (and by tht I mean some of the gurus on here who know a lot more than I do) can probably save you some money... buying all those bars can add up.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Coreytroy

I generally use my MS380, and per tank-tank &half of fuel, I use a tank of bar oil.
The bar does look lubricated and oil comes from the tip.

beenthere

Quote from: Coreytroy on September 03, 2014, 02:19:37 AM
I generally use my MS380, and per tank-tank &half of fuel, I use a tank of bar oil.
The bar does look lubricated and oil comes from the tip.

Then what do you attribute your need to change your bar for every chain ?? 

Quite unusual, but maybe that is just unique and what you like to do.

Must be a reason. We'd be interested to hear.  thanks
south central Wisconsin

John Mc

Corytroy - are you replacing the bar by choice, or is at actually worn out?

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on September 02, 2014, 12:54:54 PM
Agree with SawTroll...  8)

Odd things happen! :)

Btw, I corrected some misprints in my post....
Information collector.

Al_Smith

With conversations of bars I have some I've ran over 35 years .Hard nose bars which I've dressed on a belt sander several times .Longgevity is simple ,lots of oil .Spare the oil,spoil the bar .

bigbuckhughes

Nobody mentioned removing a link when a chain "stretches" that much. 

beenthere

QuoteNobody mentioned removing a link when a chain "stretches" that much.

If they stretch that much, they are worn out and need to be replaced. IMO  ;)
south central Wisconsin

HolmenTree

I remember back in the day when I got into logging I saw a chain loop size issue.
At our logging camp we had fallers running 16" b/c on Husqvarna's and Jonsered's. Even though both brands were 16", Husqvarna had 62DL chain loops and the Jonsereds with 60DL.
A new 62 loop would work on the Jonsered for a short while before the adjustment no longer tightened.

I suggest Coreytroy count the DL on his chain loops and see if it matches the DL # stamped on the side of his bars. The "matched" b/c setup combo may be an error on  his suppliers part.

On the subject of changing to a new bar with every chain loop that stretches beyond adjustment within 4 hours ......just doesn't make sense. :D 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on September 03, 2014, 02:03:50 PM
QuoteNobody mentioned removing a link when a chain "stretches" that much.

If they stretch that much, they are worn out and need to be replaced. IMO  ;)

How much wear that takes will vary a bit with different sprocket sizes, and the dl count, bar and saw in question.
Information collector.

clww

Some drive sprockets are larger in diameter too (such as an 8 tooth vs a 7 tooth), which will take out a lot of the slack out of a stretched chain.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Coreytroy

Quote from: John Mc on September 03, 2014, 10:47:48 AM
Corytroy - are you replacing the bar by choice, or is at actually worn out?
Some times I change the bar due to wear. Looks heated on lower half.
I also flip the bar and have put new chains on an old bar, but mostly felt if I have a new chain to also put on a new bar.
Maybe I should just buy a more expensive brand chain to see if they also lengthen.

Thank You Sponsors!