iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine furniture pole question

Started by ozarkgem, August 24, 2014, 09:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I went to Colo and cut a load of furniture poles. . Do I need to peel l them now and let them dry or let them dry under cover and peel them later. I have not worked with these kind of poles. Not sure what species they are. Maybe someone  can identify them.

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

beenthere

Very likely lodgepole pine if from Colorado (CO).

Peeling can be learned as soon as you get a chance to test out your stash. I'd give a few a try and see how it goes, as they won't get any fresher. Depends a bit when they died, but suspect you will learn pretty quick what works the best. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VT_Forestry

I can't speak for Colorado, but I know down here in Virginia it's so humid that I have to peel pine right away or it will get moldy and funky in a hurry.  Hardwood species seem to be a little more tolerant to drying with the bark on.  Peel a few and leave some be to test it out - see which method gives you the best end result for what you're making with them.   
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Thank You Sponsors!