iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two things I don't know.

Started by Small Slick, August 31, 2014, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Slick

I know that my band saw leaves a layer of sawdust stuck to the pine that I have been sawing. I think the saw dust in the humidity amplifies water marks and mold activity.

What I don't know is should I be sweeping and blowing off all the saw dust before I sticker and stack the boards, or does it not matter?

The other thing I don't know is why my band sawed flat and true on a red oak after it was beginning to get wavy after sawing 6 white pine logs 8 footers about 20" on the small end.   It was my first oak on the mill. I thought I would use the old band to open the log up as it was a yard tree. I never did change the blade I ran it a little slower than the pine but it was really nice and flat lumber. Why would this be?

John

terrifictimbersllc

I think it is because the difference in hardness between the knots and soft wood of pine is much greater than that in oak. The blade deflects when it comes to the harder knots and returns in the softer portion, leading to waves. Yours is my experience too, that 20" pine requires a very sharp band, and the same band that starts to give waves in pine would still continue to cut oak for much longer.  That is, most equivalent or smaller diameter oak.  Some oaks especially white oak  very wide and the least bit dried out will be just as difficult to keep flat as knotty pine. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

Yes, you want to get that sawdust off of your boards. I use a drywall taping knife to scrape it off. X2 on what terrifictimbers said.
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Sawdust on the boards slows down the drying. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

And seems to mold worse.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Small Slick

It makes sense now that my feet are wet that the boards will turn out better with effort taken to remove the saw dust from them. I can see this first hand.

I was really surprised when the blade I was ready to change on EWP worked so well on the red oak!  Not at all what I expected. 

John.

Bibbyman

The topic title, "Two things I don't know".

You're lucky,     I can think of a lot more than two things that I don't know.    And there are probably things I don't know that I don't know that I don't know.  Then there is a long list of things I use to know but now forget.   And probably some things I know that are probably not right.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

schakey

Quote from: Bibbyman on September 01, 2014, 05:48:21 AM
The topic title, "Two things I don't know".

You're lucky,     I can think of a lot more than two things that I don't know.    And there are probably things I don't know that I don't know that I don't know.  Then there is a long list of things I use to know but now forget.   And probably some things I know that are probably not right.  :D
say_what I didn't know that
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Magicman

But I know that Bibby is right.    ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

Quote from: Magicman on September 01, 2014, 08:45:00 AM

Just ask me something I don't know and I'll make something up and sware it's right!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

So I guess that questions about stuff that we do not know about are the easiest to answer.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Bibbyman on September 01, 2014, 09:38:27 AM
Quote from: Magicman on September 01, 2014, 08:45:00 AM

Just ask me something I don't know and I'll make something up and sware it's right!
"I'll tell you the truth whether I know it or not!"   ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

I told you more than I know already.   :)

WDH

To know is to be.  To don't know is to have been. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

thecfarm

And some things I know,I have forgotten.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Magicman

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.  (old saying)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: barbender on August 31, 2014, 10:37:12 AM
Yes, you want to get that sawdust off of your boards. I use a drywall taping knife to scrape it off. X2 on what terrifictimbers said.

This comment got me to thinking about the sawdusty boards issue. Also makes them uglier and harder to sell as RS.

I think a garden hoe, especially one a little on the dull side would give a better scraping angle and you wouldn't have to bend over even if the boards are at ground level. ;D The edge would have to be straight across and the blade not bent for it to work well, but I think a little grinder work and a vice would quickly fix that problem even on an old one. ;D

Oops, forgot picture. Here it is.

Here is an old/new hoe I picked up at a tool store auction probably 30 years ago. It was left in a shed with a leaky roof, hence the surface rust. :( Never used, still has a square cutting edge that was never sharpened. 10" wide, big enough to clean up any board or slab in short order. ;D ;D ;D
There is still an AMES sticker on the handle, but I don't know if they still make this one, which will be heading out to Big Mesquite this weekend. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sandhills

I don't know a lot, but what I......ah never mind, that pretty well sums it up.

dboyt

Quote from: Small Slick on August 31, 2014, 10:21:01 AM
The other thing I don't know is why my band sawed flat and true on a red oak after it was beginning to get wavy after sawing 6 white pine logs 8 footers about 20" on the small end.   It was my first oak on the mill. I thought I would use the old band to open the log up as it was a yard tree. I never did change the blade I ran it a little slower than the pine but it was really nice and flat lumber. Why would this be?
John

If pine pitch builds up on the blade it will cut every way but straight.  The oak, depending on when it was cut and how dry it is can actually wipe the blade clean and it will start cutting straight again.  Might check for that.  A lot of people use some Pine-Sol in their lube to help keep the blade clean.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

beenthere

QuoteAlso makes them uglier and harder to sell as RS.

Come to think of it, I don't know RS...  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

My first guess would have been tooth set. If a blade has lost some set it will cut red oak fine and it will wave in pine. Like WDH said, if pitch builds up on the body of the band it acts just like the blade doesnt have enough set.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!