iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers with blue stain?

Started by Girk, September 01, 2014, 08:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girk

I'm getting ready to have some soft maple cut -- I don't have a mill -- someone else is sawing.  But I will sticker and air dry.  I have some well-dried hackberry, but it has blue stain.  Can I rip that up for stickers or will the stain in the hackberry make the maple more prone to stain?  Thanks.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

As long as your stickers are dry....you're fine IMO.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

if your stickers are dry and used( stickered) properly you wont have any problems :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

You might want to enhance the air flow on red maple with a fan.  This will help prevent gray stain in the maple. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on September 01, 2014, 09:42:29 PM
You might want to enhance the air flow on red maple with a fan.  This will help prevent gray stain in the maple.
Excellent advice.  I don't know if using stained, dry hackberry stickers subsequently causes stained lumber, but lack of airflow and high summer temps will.  Red maple needs lots of airflow this time of year to prevent deep sticker stain.  I use two 48 inch drum fans, side by side, blowing on my red maple stacks for a couple weeks.  Saw, sticker and get the fans on the wood in as short a time as possible, especially this time of year.  This much airflow would ruin other species, but it works exceptionally well for red maple.
I fought this problem for quite some time, and the big fans solved it completely.

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

petefrom bearswamp

Any maple i saw , i stand up on the side of my pole bldg for a couple of days before stickering.
I used to sticker for 3 days and then re sticker moving the stickers a few inches after the surface dries.
both worked for me but the standing up is less handling unless you are sawing a lot of stock.
My stickers are little H beams in cross section..
PETE
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Girk

Thanks for the advice, folks.  This is silver maple and I will be drying it outside, covered on top but with all sides exposed.  In Kansas, air flow shouldn't be a problem.   

Thank You Sponsors!