iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prickly ash for trailer decking?

Started by Small Slick, September 02, 2014, 07:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Slick

I had an acquaintance call me the othe day and asked me if I would saw some logs for him. It would be my first saw job that wasn't for me. I guess he has some pine and some prickly ash.

He can't get good decking a for his trailers and wants the ash sawn for decking. I thought prickly ash was a scrub tree and didn't grow to a decent diameter and usually is crooked.

If the trees are decent will prickly ash even make for good deck boards for a heavy equipment trailer?

John.

beenthere

I wonder what he is calling "prickly ash".  It is just an invasive brush-like bush with ferocious thorns almost impossible to get through (without a chainsaw or a small crawler).  ;D

This source says it can get up to 6 in diam. Never have been around it bigger than 1".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanthoxylum_americanum

Would like to hear more, and some pics of the logs and general area they are found.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

I'd never heard of prickly ash before. Any of the real ash species (black, white, green) should make serviceable trailer deck. BTW, green ash takes a sharp blade to cut straight.
Too many irons in the fire

36 coupe

barbender

Most trailer decks I've been around get wrecked before they rot. My gooseneck has Aspen down the middle of the deck, it's been on there 4 years now (obviously,  aspen is not weather resistant). I've never used ash for a deck, I'm just guessing it would do ok.

Small Slick

I spoke withe the guy this morning and he said the logs are 18-24" or so. So I'm thinking he has a log that is not prickly ash it sounds like it might be green ash.

He owns a large liquid manure hauling and injecting company so I think the abuse of his employees will wreck the decking before natural causes will.

John

barbender

That's why I figure, any hardwood that isn't brittle will do. You're looking for strength more than decay resistance.

petefrom bearswamp

I sell White ash hay wagon bed and rack lumber which lasts for years.
Have no idea what prickly ash is.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dboyt

Ash is a fairly hard, resilient wood (which makes it good for tool handles and baseball bats).  Should be good for decking.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Chuck White

Around here, I've never seen Prickly Ash large enough to do anything with!

What we have is a "weed" type of shrub with HUGE thorns like a rose bush!

They are particularly troublesome when you're trying to do a deer drive in the Fall.  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Knute

I wonder if he means locust. It has prickly branches when small and weathers very well.

beenthere

Maybe Small Slick can give us an update on this ash and hopefully a pic of it too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!