iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

any market for long timbers?

Started by Nemologger, September 02, 2014, 09:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

Is there a market for 30 ft oak timbers cut to whatever specs the buyer wants? Or do the timber frame guys like joining shorter timbers instead?
Clean and Sober

Dave Shepard

Long timbers are always preferred, but may not be feasible for one reason or another. Cost and transportation are the big drawbacks. Also, finding suitable logs can be a problem. If I had good access to long pine, I could sell quite a few 30' to 50' plus timbers every year.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

Pieces that long for principled rafters are preferred.  Preferable to have a single piece than have to scarf two together.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

MattJ

Get a hold of Scott Smith on the forum.  He has cut oak timbers that will make 30 footers seem like child's play!

scsmith42

Quote from: MattJ on September 03, 2014, 02:39:49 PM
Get a hold of Scott Smith on the forum.  He has cut oak timbers that will make 30 footers seem like child's play!
\
<grin>  Thanks Matt.  Dave (who responded earlier) and Jake area also in the 40'+ club. 

I just can't wait to score a job where I can mill a 58 footer!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

I was talking to someone about milling 55' this spring, but my mill isn't set up on concrete yet, and I didn't have the cash to buy another 24' extension. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

scsmith42

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 04, 2014, 11:41:31 AM
I was talking to someone about milling 55' this spring, but my mill isn't set up on concrete yet, and I didn't have the cash to buy another 24' extension. :D

Send 'em my way!   :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!