iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain saws...which one?

Started by Henry-Adams, July 22, 2004, 08:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry-Adams

I need to pick up a larger saw. Right now I've got a 16" Husqvarna but I'd like to get something in the 24" range.

I have a few people that want to give me a number of trees but I have to take them down first. What would be your first choice in saws...without completely breaking the bank?

leweee

how bigs that husky?.... maybe all you need is a bigger bar & chain. A 20" bar will fell a 40" tree if you can work from both sides. I prefer to use the shortest bar that will do the job. cheaper to run & more control. just a thought.
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

MemphisLogger

I fell with my Husky Rancher 55 but prefer my 372XP.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

smwwoody

372XP is a great all around saw

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Timberwerks

I agree the 372XP is a great choice.

Dale

incognitive

Since they're (372XP) actually the same weight, I'd go with the MS460 if I wanted to carry that much around.  Don't believe me?  Walk into any shop which has both on the shelf, remove the bars/chain (only!) and weigh them dry.  Then look at the catalog specs and scratch your head with me...

qatanlison

When comparing the 372XP and the MS460 bear in mind the far more effective air-injection on the Husky vs. Intelli carb. Also, I dare say the vibration-dampening is better on the Husky.

Q

Timberwerks

Not that's it's a major issue but I like the fact that the 372 comes with 2 bumper spikes vs 1 on the 460.

Dale

Ed

yup,yup,yup, everyone got this one right! 8) 8) 8) 8)
If ya go with the Stihl, add the spikes to the cover side, dual felling spikes (aka: dull chain over-rides) are a must on a felling saw.

woodbeard

Henry, help us out a bit here-
What model do you currently own?
What size and flavor of timber are you wanting to cut?
What size bank are you trying not to break?

I have the stihl 046 ( ms460 ) and it has plenty of power for a 25" bar. I have even run a 28" on it with no problem, but usually stick with a 20". I've never had any carb issues.

Also, the Dolmar ps7900 has been getting rave reviews- more power, lower price. Worth looking into if there's a dealer nearby.

DanManofStihl

I have two saws a ms 180 for pruning and a 066 I used the 066 on everything I have a 20 inch bar for small to medium 3 inch to about 28 inch and the 36 inch for eveything above different bars are alot cheaper then different saws. Thats just my opinion.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

incognitive

Intellicarb is about keeping the mixture right as the filter dirties and is merely a result of venting the high side of the diaphragm to the airbox instead of outside.  The exact same effect was had on my old Homelites where the entire carb was behind the filter.  I thought Elux was going to such a vent routing, too.

I've only noticed the lesser vibration of the Stihls as compared to the Huskys while running the saw outside the cut.  While in the cut there's little difference, if any.

The "air injection", "turbo", &c. do a good job of keeping the big stuff off the filter.  I've never had to stop work to knock the crud off my Stihl filters and they're all supposed to be checked daily anyway.

My production pair is 036/066.

David_c

not to start any brand wars. but i had a stihl ms460 and my husky 372, 372 i feel was a much better saw hands down. no longer have the 460. now that the 372 has been power ported 8) 8) 8)

DanManofStihl

I had a ms 440 I bought new that was an awesome saw I used it for a year and a half before up grading to a stihl 066 I love that saw and wih I had not sold it a horrible decision I love my new 066 just as much though wish I could have afforded both.

Ed_K

Make doesn't matter  ;). Go to different dealers and observe their attitude  :o. If they are willing to work with you, then thats the saw to buy. Size wise get what is comfortable to operate so your not worn out. Safety first!
 I run an 345 husky, 2171 jon or 394 husky if the skidder is aruond to haul it ;D.
Ed K

Dean Hylton

If any one is interested; I have a good running  Stihl 036 pro for sale.  I am a 2 stroke tech for the Husqvarna dealer in Centralia, Wa.  I also ebay saws and parts and you can find me under klickitatsackett.  I just bought this saw this morning and will be going through it top to bottom before it goes out. It is a good running saw and expect to only have to put a cleaning to it. This saw has a 24" bar and chain. This would make a good all around saw, with out breaking the bank.  I would ship it to any where in the lower 48 for $275.  As to which saw I like best? It all depends on which one I am working on.

rahtreelimbs

I would think a 24" bar on an 036 is a bit much. These saws aren't stellar performers in the torque arena.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

incognitive

Look where he is, Rich.  They don't have real trees out that way (haha!)

I love my 036; maybe it's atypical...

Dean Hylton

It's kind of funny to me to listen to guys talk about a 24" bar like it is big.   I have grown up thinking that a 28" - 32" was the norm.  As a kid my dad (Bruce A in here) was a cedar rat as where a couple of my uncles.  The 036 may not be my choice for a big saw, ( I like the 044, 046, 272 ) but for a medium sized saw it is a pretty good saw. As for pulling a 24" bar not a problem. If you ever had a problem though I would suggest getting rid of the double falling dogs and taking it easy, ;) but if you insist on pushing it through for an extra $75 I will do a piston and head job on it for you. ;D

DanManofStihl

If you want to run a 24 inch bar on a 036 you might want consider getting your saw walerized free up your exhust I like to run a 24 inch bar on my 044 and a 36 inch on my 066. This combo works for me if my 24 inch cant cut it then my 36 inch can and if that cant then I call my neighbor for his saw. Havent had to yet.  

dneiger

Henry,
     Send me an e-mail and let me know where you live, I may be able to help you out on your saw deals. I live in Luther near Cadillac, Reed City.
                                                                 Dave
                                                                dneiger@yahoo.com or 1-231-797-5261

redneckman

I have always been a Sthil guy.  When I was around 18 years old, a HUGE black walnut fell across my grandmothers fence.  The little Poulan super 250 (which is not a bad little saw) would not even come close to cutting it.

I went to my uncle to borrow one of his saws.  He was a logger.  He goes to his truck and pulls out a 064 Sthil that he used to cut timber with.  He said that it had just been rebuilt.  He also said that if I kept my grandmothers wood sawed up, that I could have it.

I am 44 years old now, and that saw is still my primary saw.  It cut thosands of feet of timber before I got it and I have cut wood, timber, and now use it in my lumber cutting business.  I will admitt that I am thinking of getting a new MS 660, but I will never let my 064 go.  It is like my old Ford tractor that I bought when I was 19.

I think he bought it in the mid 80's.  I know the saw is at least 30 years old.  I doubt any new one would last that long.  I just used it the other day.  It is a job to start it (no compression release), but it runs great.  I have a 30" bar on it.

HolmenTree

redneckman, thanks for bumping this old 2004 thread .
I never used a computer until 2006 then the next year I bought one. :D

Stihl 064 is one of my favorite saws, I have a strong running 064 I bought new in 1986 (First year introduced). My first 064 from that same year got run over by my partners skidder and still have it for parts.

I got a pic here of the 064 and a couple early 066's I have.
The 064 is so much more compact and lighter then the 066s.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

redneckman

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 25, 2018, 10:23:38 PM

You know, I never even noticed that this was from 2004 when I responded.  I was just excited to tell everyone about my 064.
I took her to the Sthilership to have some minor repairs done.  I dont think some of the people there had ever seen one.  When I went to pick it up, they said it was the John Wayne of power saws.

wild262

Quote from: redneckman on March 26, 2018, 08:04:24 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on March 25, 2018, 10:23:38 PM

You know, I never even noticed that this was from 2004 when I responded.  I was just excited to tell everyone about my 064.
I took her to the Sthilership to have some minor repairs done.  I dont think some of the people there had ever seen one.  When I went to pick it up, they said it was the John Wayne of power saws.

Lol, :D  That's not big deal redneckman, heck I probably would have done the same thing, lol.  I'm sure Holman doesn't mind.  I think that's funny about the John Wayne of saws and mostly true.   Well built pre-EPA flagship of the Stihl line.  Many of the 1990's Stihls are still going today.  Those 064's are keepers for sure.  Enjoy'em men.   ;)  

Thank You Sponsors!