iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got it again

Started by lopet, September 04, 2014, 10:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lopet

It seems like every year a have to deal with this poison ivy bulls@#$ , a itchy skin rash witch almost turns me nuts.
This time I got it good ,  both arms and legs, chest, neck and now even my more softer body parts got it. ;D What a mess.
What I don't understand is, why now, as I haven't been in the bush  for at least four weeks.  Can I really get it from just being around  firewood piles , witch were processed last spring? Or can I get it from the dog ?  My wife and the dog are walking in the bush pretty well every day and it doesn't seem to bother her. Yes the dog is in the house, she's mama's  baby and i got no sayn. :)
It usually takes me two to three weeks to get rid off with showering and Calamine lotion. >:(
Is there a secret, nobody has told me about it ?
Any helpful tips are appreciated

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Southside

Yes you can get it from firewood that has been drying for a year or more, yes you can get it from your wife or the dog, The dry vines and hairs still have urushiol (what causes the reaction) in them for years, and what ever you do never, never burn the stuff - that will land you in the ER. I have to wade through the stuff almost daily and find main vines 4" in diameter often.

The pink calamine lotion does not work well for me.  I use the clear stuff called "Calaclear Lotion" if its not too bad, for the bad stuff I have a prescription of Triamcinolon, its a clear cream and it works miracles. 

The best thing I have found is called Tecnu, its a wash solution that I clean my arms, hands, etc with at the end of the day, it counteracts any urushoil that may be on your skin.  It works great, I may still get a slight reaction here and there, but nothing like if I had not used it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

Yes, you can get it from the dog if the dog walked through it, and you touched the dog, and didn't scrub up with soap within a couple hours.
Read a bit about how long the oils of the poison ivy can hang around on things, in clothes, etc.

I got it just cutting a tree and not thinking about the vines on it, nor the chainsaw chips hitting me in the chest and going down inside my shirt.

Now I scrub within two hours of knowingly being in PI.

And have a habit now of scrubbing with soap every time after tying my boot laces..

If ya get it bad like some people do, then need to change some living habits... bummer but just better than the itch.

A Dr. may be able to prescribe some treatments, as well there are things you can buy that some claim to work well.

And Ditto what southside logger said.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lopet

Thanks for the advise. I will look in to that cream and wash lotion.

Changing living habits is not a option  btw ;)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

ET

Im also highly alergic to PI. I use Zanfel and get it any any drugstore. Pretty pricey but stops the itching in 60 seconds.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

NWP

I go to the Dr and get a shot for it. It helps it clear up way faster than letting it take it's course.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

North River Energy

Have had good luck cleaning the affected area(s) with waterless hand cleaner, followed by water rinse.
This is when I know I've been through the ivy, done as soon as possible after the fact.

mad murdock

Technu soap, and wash your clothes as well. The oils from poison ivy and poison oak is what carries the irritant. If the oil is on anything, it can cause irritation when you come in contact with the oil, no matter where it may be lying in wait for its next encounter.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

I use the hydrocortisone creme. But can only get ½ % over the counter. A DR has the good stuff.  You got it good.  :(   The juice form PI is some nasty. I forgot,but one drop can infest ALOT of people.
Don't burn the stuff either.  :o   My brother worked for the town in school. They burned a banken and there was some there. That put him out of work. Lucky it did not get into his lungs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

I stay away from control burns, brush fires.  If I do have to get around them I take an over the counter antihistomine. If I break out in a rash, I put Ice packs to ease the itching and swelling, use the over counter remedies.  If it gets in my eyes/face I go get a shot from a Doctor.   IMO, Flies and Mosquitoes can bring it to you, too.
I refer to my dogs and cats as poison ivy paint brushes and tick dispensers :D 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

YoungStump

I got it right now too hate the stuff!! If it gets terrible I go to the doc and get a shot or Prednisone prescription. One thing I've done and I DO NOT recommend this but it has worked for me is to scratch it up real good and douse it with the WORKs toilet bowl cleaner hurts like fire but it usually takes care of the itch.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

forester2009

I scratch it open and find the most chlorinated pool I can.  It might burn a little but it clears it up fairly fast.
2006 WoodMizer lt70 Cat diesel Command Control,  Corley Two Blade edger, Case W7 wheelloader,  Old Hmc Debarker,  Cat Genset

goose63

Last time I had it on my arms I used a stiff scrub brush and straight bleach out of the jug BURNS LIKE the dickens but next day it was gone good luck to ya
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

BradMarks

Expanding on the Tecnu.  Made here in Oregon by Tec-Labs.  They have the original cleanser and the Extreme cleanser for applying after exposure. Also have a product called Corticool for itch(it works pretty good) and a clear Calagel (think calamine lotion but clear) if you have PI or PO. Unfortunately there is no pre-emptive product yet.

Peter Drouin

Use an SOS pad and wash it off and be done with it, works for me ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Skidder Kev

I am not a fan of the ivy but it always seems like we are working in it.    I don't get it as bad as you but when I do, I'm like a few others on here get them opened up the put rubbing alcohol on a paper towel then apply to the affected area.  Hurts abit but it goes away in a day or 2.   
Kev

enigmaT120

I use Tecnu and Calijel if I'm too late.  Tecnu works if you know you've been in the stuff, but if you're getting it from your wife or dog you wouldn't know to use it.  I got a pretty bad case last February when I was doing some brush clearing and pre-commercial thinning on the other side of my driveway.  My past several days off I've been splitting and stacking a cord of firewood, then spraying poison oak in the afternoon.  I wish I could hear it scream.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

ScottAR

I get it from the cats as they are indoor/outdoor and seemingly from the dust from mowing the backyard near the fence if I scratch my back during...   Tecnu works if I know I've been in it.   Peroxide seems to sooth the itch some if you soak it on a cotton ball.  Told to me by a logger friend.  Not sure why that helps but it does. 

I usually only use that on a particularly itchy spot.  There's always one spot that itches more than the rest of the affected area. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

lopet

Well, so far I just made everything worse by scratching it and drag it all over my body.  It was hot and sticky today and that didn' t help at all.
Thanks all for all the good advise and I hope one of those things you recommended, will work for me too.

beenthere

As I understand, PI can't be spread by breaking blisters.
The new blisters and itch is from the PI oil that is either new contact or a bit later in developing.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm049342.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ford_man

Poison Ivy is almost a pain but it is really just an itch. Get it cleared up .

http://www.poisonivyprevention.com/

This really does work and it will prevent you from getting PO for a full year, it cost $16.?? plus shipping I get 4 pacs a year for some friends and family. splitwood_smiley

clww

I had it much more last year on my arms. Any time we are into the trees with vines on them, I rinse my arms off with water immediately when I return from that set of trees. I dry off using a specific towel just for my forearms. Doing this each time has seemed to help me out this summer.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Glenn1

I have had poison ivy at least twice a year for many years before I found out about Ivy Block and Technu.  Ivy Block is no longer in production so the next best thing is Ivy X.   Ivy X is a pre emptive lotion that keeps the urushiol from sticking to the skin.  Then I use Technu before jumping into the shower.  In the past, I always had prednisone available just in case. I know that steroids are not really good for you but it would keep me from going crazy.  Here is a listing for Ivy X.  I think it's worth a try. 

http://www.amazon.com/Poison-Oak-Contact-Solution-Bottle/dp/B001CJGE7Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410047233&sr=8-2&keywords=poison+ivy+block

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

red

Drink goats milk and use goats milk soap
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

lopet

I think, I have it under control now with Benadryl  and the Hydrocortisone creame. I might be still dealing with it for a week or two, but at least the itching and scratching has stopped.
It made me thinking now, that I have to do something  about for prevention.

Thanks again for all the advise and the links

Thank You Sponsors!