TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Heat Treating  (Read 892 times)

Offline BmoreReclaimed

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Heat Treating
« on: September 12, 2014, 11:29:06 PM »
Let me introduce myself.  My name is Jim.  I live in Baltimore MD and make my living building furniture from reclaimed wood.  I am interested in a kiln set-up to kill bugs in lumber.  Our wood will vary from 15-7%MC from our outside storage to our shop storage.  I would like to reach a temp. of 120-130f for a period of 2-3days and be able to do this in an area of roughly 5ftx18ftx6ft tall, say 600cubic ft. Wood would be mainly pine and oak ranging from 3/4 to 4in thick. My question is this, do I really need a dehumidification kiln?  I feel like these units are geared more for green lumber, not realtively speaking dry wood.  I understand the potential degradation of stock that can occur at high temps with low moisture so this is the most important issue I need advice on.  Can I successfully heat treat wood for bugs without introducing moisture into the air?  A small split or two, hey, is character, but if ends are splitting in and so forth and I'm losing length, not cool.  I feel a simple furnace capable of high temp or high output would suffice, or Nyle for instance markets a pallet heat treat kiln.  We are also limited by no natural gas, electric only, 3ph yes. Please someone with more knowledge give me your gut feeling on the subject.  We have a great spot for solar kiln in our storage yard, but would need suplimental heating at night and we don't have power there so that's not the best idea(we could easily run a line from our neighbors feed but that would be complicated when it comes to paying for it.) I would like to keep cost at a minimum but am willing to invest.  Thankyou very much for your time!  Together we can stand up to the creepy-crawlys 

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • Share Post
    • PC Specialties
Re: Heat Treating
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:21:19 AM »
You don't need a DH kiln at all. And with wood under 15%, you are not going to cause any degrade. You just need a hot box. Doing that without causing a potential fire hazard is the question.

Offline BmoreReclaimed

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:32 PM »
Thanks for your input Den!  The potential fire risk is a VALID point to look into!

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 07:26:30 AM »
To kill insects, you need to get the wood inside to 133 F, so the air temperature will be 150 F or hotter.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Heat treating firewood

Started by armechanic on Firewood and Wood Heating

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2015, 10:45:38 AM
by John Mc
xx
OWB, radiant heat in floor heat... can i add a tankless boiler to the system???

Started by brownloggin on Firewood and Wood Heating

19 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 09:37:07 AM
by red
xx
need to heat a warming room that will heat 2 drums of product

Started by adamant on Firewood and Wood Heating

11 Replies
Last post November 29, 2015, 07:52:05 AM
by doctorb
xx
Concoction for treating oak