iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Splitting Firewood in the Rain

Started by firemedic589, September 13, 2014, 03:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firemedic589

Is splitting firewood while its raining a bad thing? I'm behind schedule and it seems all the sunny days are filled with either family commitments or work. I know it will have to dry a little longer, but is there anything inherently bad about doing it?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Nothing at all bad about it, other than the operator gets wet and the wood may be slippery. Won't affect the drying one iota (or less).

But the little 10 x 10 portable shelters are nice to work under...

Would like to hear more about your operation on the wood pile.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

firemedic589

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I'm a small time firewood seller, I have a dozon or so customer and it seems to be growing slowly but thats ok for a single blade splitter. Eventually, I want to go into it full-time after I retire from work.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Won't affect the wood, but it makes it very slippery. Be Careful!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

NHMike

Like the others said, won't hurt a thing.  I split about 1 cord  last Saturday at camp in the rain.  It started coming down pretty hard and finished on Sunday.  Using one of those 10 x 10 canopy's would have helped. I like to use rubber coated gloves inte rain as they are not slippery like leather gets.

CRThomas

Quote from: clww on September 13, 2014, 04:03:35 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Won't affect the wood, but it makes it very slippery. Be Careful!
I am a full time firewood seller My operation is I have tractor with a three point split on it to splt the chunks down to where I can handle them then I move them in to my shop which is central heat NG and A/C My kiln is in one corner of the shop When I get a break in the weather I chunk and split out side then fill my 4 x 4 x 4 metal baskets and move them inside with my fork lift. I only do bundled firewood When the weather get bad thats when my customer realize they are out of wood. But thats life in the firewood business. I have got up a 24:00 midnight and delivered firewood because that what I do bundled firewood 24 -7's. My reasoning for my in door splitting is we had a 6 weeks winter of super cold snow high winds downed trees power outages. I like to lost all my customers that it took years to get. So I put a genac generater to run house shop put NG in every building I got. My trucks are in heat and my fork lift and tractor. In the shop I have a 20 ton electric log splitter I  built. So I can split the wood down to the bunleing size and watch the history channel. I enjoy my work if I start not liking it I buy another toy to play with.

CRThomas

Quote from: firemedic589 on September 13, 2014, 03:22:39 PM
Is splitting firewood while its raining a bad thing? I'm behind schedule and it seems all the sunny days are filled with either family commitments or work. I know it will have to dry a little longer, but is there anything inherently bad about doing it?
I am in my shop now getting three deliverys ready now for noon delivery. It has been raining like this all week except for two days. Well I have 55 more bundles to go thats if I don't for see a order I ain't got yet. I got to go back to work Forestry forum gets you distracted.

Thank You Sponsors!